PDA

View Full Version : Artweaver program

dbclemons
10-06-2005, 01:56 PM
Look familiar?

http://www.artweaver.de/index.php?en_features

womanonfire
10-06-2005, 03:11 PM
A noble effort but... probably not the best idea to lift the entire painter interface :surprised
disappointing because it looks like a good project, would have liked to see some originality in the design. hope he doesn't get into trouble.

hentsteph
10-07-2005, 02:18 AM
Did you see the size of the .exe file? 2,896KB wow and it's fast... He did a beter job than Adobe in natural media brushes , but it's not Painter IX quality.

Lunatique
10-07-2005, 04:28 AM
Errr, isn't that breaking some kind of law? I mean, it's almost identical to Painter.

Jinbrown
10-07-2005, 10:06 AM
I'll betcha it is, Luna, breaking some kind of law.

In any case, it looks more than a little cheezy to use Painter's interface, make names of brush categories and brush variants almost identical.... As the military officer in New Orleans after the hurricane said, the guy's

".... just stuck on stupid!"

If he's gotten himself in trouble, well? What could he expect?

Guess we'll find out soon enough.... or not.

Knilblink
10-07-2005, 06:15 PM
Perhaps the Corel Painter and Artweaver Developer's learned, interperuted, and share the appreciation of what is beautiful in the aesthetics of an artist media GUI, to the "T". :shrug:

:rolleyes:

sand dragon
10-07-2005, 08:26 PM
Scrolling to the bottom of the Artweaver page, I noticed a link to NoSoftwarePatents.com (http://www.nosoftwarepatents.com/), which in turn links to a page reporting that the European Parliament Says no to Software Patents (http://wiki.ffii.org/Ep050706En).

Maybe the Artweaver author took this literally to mean open season on (others) software. Even if the reported EU directive is correct, what about non-EU countries, copyright law etc?

David

Rezonance
10-08-2005, 08:43 PM
With an interface redesign (So it does not resemble Painter so much) This guy could be onto a serious winner. I am impressed with how much he has mannaged to do. Someone soo creative ought to be able to come up with his/her own interface.

pushav
10-09-2005, 05:51 AM
Wow! So all ppl need is gimp and this artweaver. Lol. This is fantastic. I do have painter and photoshop. I like this app!! It is like photoshop and painter combined. Lol. My dreams are becoming a reality slowly. Thanks for the link. I like this interface waay beter than my painter 7 and painting in artweaver is smooth at ulrta high rez.

tayete
10-09-2005, 09:51 AM
Well, my opinion is that apps like this help the Big Brothers in some way. I mean, people who start to play with this small utility will soon detect its limitations, and maybe they'll decide they want to jump to Painter. I don't think Artweaver nor Artrage are serious competitors for Painter, as the Gimp isn't for Photoshop (although with that little app I blogged a link at in my web, that tweaks to look like Photoshop's it seems like the 'real' app, but it still isn't). But both may drag interested users to Painter, while the casual artist will stick with them instead of downloading a pirated version of the big app.

In fact I have translated Artweaver's commands to Spanish because a friend asked me to, and now he is really interested in Painter IX. Even I told himto try tons of times PIX, he never did. And now he has tried Artweaver, and wants to come home to take a look at PIX. For sure he'll notice the difference!

BTW, yes, the GUI is the same as Painter 6 so maybe we'll see how law treats this. The same for the example I mentioned of Photoshop's Gui for The Gimp.

CGTalk Moderation
10-09-2005, 09:51 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.