PDA

View Full Version : Copy map, paste to other identical geometry?

stompbox
10-06-2005, 09:20 AM
I am wracking my brains, running flay and forum searches for what I'm sure is a simple solution, but can't work it out so I thought I'd ask here.

I have two versions of the same identical geometry. One has great UV maps, the other great weight maps. (I know, I need to be better organised.)

I need to copy either weight or UV maps from one object and paste it onto the other, to have one SUPER object with the good maps from both.

Any ideas?

cyphyr
10-06-2005, 12:50 PM
Cant you just copy object a (uv maps) onto object b (weight maps) and merge polygons (m). Should work ... er I think
cyphyr

stompbox
10-07-2005, 07:12 AM
No good. Pasted geometry, when merged, overwrites the old geometry completely.

peteb
10-07-2005, 09:36 AM
There is a copy UV button and it should work . I'm trying to remember why I had problems with it but in theory you should be able to go under the maps tab and then under UV's there's a button that's hidden under "more" I think. In there is a copy button, select your uvs and then hit the copy button. You then go to your mesh with weight maps and go paste which sits in the same place as the copy button. You might have to select the mesh before pasting.

I had this problem and I can't rememeber if I got it to work. But hey give it a go because it's meant to work.

Pete B

stompbox
10-09-2005, 12:41 AM
There is a copy UV button and it should work . I'm trying to remember why I had problems with it but in theory you should be able to go under the maps tab and then under UV's there's a button that's hidden under "more" I think. In there is a copy button, select your uvs and then hit the copy button. You then go to your mesh with weight maps and go paste which sits in the same place as the copy button. You might have to select the mesh before pasting.

I had this problem and I can't rememeber if I got it to work. But hey give it a go because it's meant to work.

Pete B

Thanks a lot Pete you are exactly right. I had tried it earlier but not been thorough enough in selecting the same polygon group to paste to. So I set up selection groups and did it properly - works fine.

The issue now is with discontinuous points. I can unweld, select and transform the uvs in some cases to be the same as the original map, but on some things it is not so straight forward. I'm trying Nitarisa's cut/paste UVs plugin HERE (http://vbulletin.newtek.com/showthread.php?p=305922#post305922) but I am having issues with it - it crashes Modeler every time I use it.

I guess I'm pretty much there, and could get the rest of the way redoing maps and so on, but I would prefer a complete solution for the sake of having complete control of UVs for the future.

stompbox
10-10-2005, 10:57 PM
It seems that as I had maps with the same names on both objects, that is the reason why they were overwritten when I copied one version, pasted it onto the other and merged and unified polys.

As Dodgy pointed out in THIS (http://vbulletin.newtek.com/showthread.php?t=41463) Newtek thread:
"If you have values in both objects for one map, then the new WILL overwrite the old, but if each object has all their maps with separate names, the maps will coexist on the new merged geometry. make sure to unify your polys afterwards too though."

CGTalk Moderation
10-10-2005, 10:57 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.