PDA

View Full Version : Double-Sided Textures

Relic
10-06-2005, 12:32 AM
All of the game engines I have ever modelled for have only been able to single sided textures, meaning that you would have to physically model the opposite side of say, a fence. Do most newer engines support double sided textures?

Mastahful
10-06-2005, 12:38 AM
I donít really have that much experience with a vast amount of game engines but the ones I have used including Unreal do support 2 sided textures.

StrangeFate
10-06-2005, 12:48 AM
Textures will never be doublesided, it's the polygons that need to be doublesided, and pretty much all engines support that.

Valandar
10-06-2005, 12:49 AM
Textures will never be doublesided, it's the polygons that need to be doublesided, and pretty much all engines support that.

This is true. However, many engines require that the material in Max (or whatever proggy you're making the mesh in) be set to double-sided, such as the Netimmerse engine.

Relic
10-06-2005, 01:05 AM

Yea I know that, I was just wondering about engines that can figure out if you have a face that doesn't have a back, for that face to show the texture on the opposite side (I know hte engine then builds a second polygon for that opposite side), so I was wondering if that is becoming a common thing.

nathanielbell
10-06-2005, 01:16 AM
Yea I know that, I was just wondering about engines that can figure out if you have a face that doesn't have a back, for that face to show the texture on the opposite side (I know hte engine then builds a second polygon for that opposite side), so I was wondering if that is becoming a common thing.

Yes

I think it would be rare to find one that does not. If so, it most likely wouldnt be a very good one.

MK2
10-06-2005, 11:20 AM
If so, it most likely wouldnt be a very good one.

WTF?
How did you come to such a conclusion?
You can not judge a Engine by one single feature.

SHEPEIRO
10-06-2005, 12:09 PM
check me if im wrong but im working on doom3 mod and that engine doesnt allow double sided polys. also has probs with shadowing when you manually make twosided polys

ChimpanG
10-06-2005, 12:48 PM
pretty much every engine i have worked with in the last 5 years has supported them.
most use them for example a grass plane is a single poly with doublesided material.

SHEPEIRO
10-06-2005, 12:53 PM
you know what though i dont remeber seeing any grass in Doom3

nathanielbell
10-06-2005, 01:58 PM
WTF?
How did you come to such a conclusion?
You can not judge a Engine by one single feature.

Calm down there. Getting alittle too wound up. I said "most likely" which means not all but the majority. Most home made engines that students make in their bedrooms have double sided polys. Its way more common for you to come across one that does support it than one that doesnt in my experience. But if you know of a good one that doesnt, terrific. Its no big deal.

CGTalk Moderation
10-06-2005, 01:58 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.