PDA

View Full Version : The best game engine?

Andreseloy
10-05-2005, 06:32 PM
Can some authorized post your list in this two categories?
Thanks in advance
Andreseloy.-

A.- Without C knowlodged:

B.-C knowlodged:

ps:i have search but is very disperse the opinions

mearrin69
10-05-2005, 06:39 PM
Does without C knowledge include C-like scripting? If not then maybe you should take a look at Torque. You can do an awful lot with just scripts. You might also check out something like Quest3D, which has a visual programming paradigm - but it's missing some key features unless you pay for the much more expensive version of it.

Best engine is really a loaded question - it really depends on what you want to do and how much money you have in your budget. Maybe a little more info on what you need will help folks better answer your question.
M

Mastahful
10-05-2005, 06:50 PM
Yeah definitely, what are your requirements, project type and budget?

Headless
10-05-2005, 08:09 PM
I agree. It all depends on what you're trying to do, how much money you're wanting to spend etc.

Personally, in terms of versatility, the power of the technology (graphics, physics, animation, ai, etc), the tools, and what you're getting for your money, I think Unreal Engine 3 has alot to offer. That said, UE3 is still fairly expensive, and if you're asking us because you're looking to license an engine for a personal project, chances are you won't be able to afford it.

AdamAtomic
10-05-2005, 09:30 PM
hahaha - fairly? I was under the impression that it was about $100,000 or so for the full source. That is what the high-end PC engines went for the last time around, I believe. I think that is probably outside most people's range :D

I think the Torque engine is a pretty cool little engine, and there are a lot of cheap/free modeling apps that can interface neatly with it, like Blender. This is definitely a good option if you are looking for a small personal project.

If you want to avoid coding in general, I would look at simply modding for an existing engine like UE2 or Source. Both have a lot of tools for creating your own levels and characters and have very strong and friendly modding communities.

Good luck!

nibbuls
10-06-2005, 12:00 AM
Well... Unreal costs:

Royalty-Bearing License - For retail console & PC products

A non-refundable, non-recoupable license fee is due on execution of the agreement. The cost is US $350,000 for one of the available Unreal Engine 2 platforms, plus US $50,000 for each additional platform. A royalty of 3% is due on all revenue from the game, calculated on the wholesale price of the product minus (for console SKUs) console manufacturer fees. In the case of massive-multiplayer online games, the royalty is also due on the additional forms of revenue including subscriptions and advertisements.

Royalty-Free License - For any products

A non-refundable, non-recoupable license fee paid on execution of agreement: US $750,000 for one of the available platforms, plus US $100,000 for each additional platform. No royalty is due on any revenue from the product.

Custom License Terms - For non-traditional products

The Unreal Engine has been used in the development of many non-traditional products, ranging from mass-market educational games to custom training applications and the non-retail America's Army game developed by the U.S. Department of Defense. For custom applications that only require script access (rather than full C++ source), and only require redistribution to a small set of clients, the Runtime Edition is available and may be more suitable than a full Unreal Engine license. Where full source code and support or widespread redistribution are required, please contact licensing@epicgames.com to discuss custom license terms.

It's not terribly expensive when you compare that to real-estate in the Los Angeles area. :thumbsup:

Consider that if you're buying Unreal 3, you plan on making quite a large amount more than that. As for a personal project, I recommend the Torque Game Engine.

Buga
10-06-2005, 12:09 AM
Ive seen some pretty cool stuff with Torque. A friend of mine actually used it and created cutscenes and cinematic sequences to demo his models

Mastahful
10-06-2005, 12:13 AM
Yeah Torque is a good engine, and pretty cheap.....but if your totally strapped for cash there are free alternatives such as Panda3D (http://www.panda3d.org/)

nibbuls
10-06-2005, 12:13 AM
Torque is very simple to use (in scripting), and is very powerful, but I can't stand the community. The customer support, however, is top-notch.

Headless
10-06-2005, 12:15 AM
Adam Atomic: When I say "fairly expensive", i'm speaking in relation to other commercial game engines.

Andreseloy hasn't said yet why he's asking. If he's asking with a view to buying an engine license for a personal project then as I said in my original post, chances are he won't be able to afford UE3. The rest of my post was my opinion for if he was asking from general interest, so my references to cost are based on development budgets rather than a hobby users budget, as that's the typical context within which you'd talk about engine licenses.

If we're specifically talking personal projects, i'd agree with you: just use mod tools.

AdamAtomic
10-06-2005, 12:18 AM
Gotcha, no hard feelings, it just sounded funny to me :D

CGTalk Moderation
10-06-2005, 12:18 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.