PDA

View Full Version : advice pls - newbie head model

stompbox
11-12-2002, 12:44 AM
Hi. I'm new. I've been lurking for a few months and picking up some great advice/tips/tutes/plugs etc ...

Anyway I'm working on my 3rd model (the first 2 were terrible but taught me a lot) and there's a wierd 'pinching' happening on the model. I don't think it's weighting causing it, or is it? And if so how do I get around it?

I thought I'd see if you guys could give me any advice on what's causing it and how to get rid of it. ( This is probably a dumb/obvious question but I'm asking it anyway :) ) Or will it be fine by the time I get it into layout?

Thanks for your time

stompbox
11-12-2002, 12:52 AM
Whoops last image was too compressed - here we go

stompbox
11-12-2002, 01:08 AM
Is it because of point weights being over 50% / under -50% ?
I'm clutching at straws here :)

Soeren Nielsen
11-12-2002, 01:13 AM
post a wireframe so we can see the topology of the head, without that its pretty hard to help.

vorlon
11-12-2002, 02:16 AM
I can't see your wireframe, but I suspect it has something to do with the shape direction of the polygon (location of your vertexes relative to each other).

stompbox
11-12-2002, 05:49 AM
OK here's the wireframe, but you have already helped a lot ... tell me if I have this right, the poly flow needs to be fixed by flipping to fix the flow around the eyes etc. Am I barking up the right tree?

Kaiser_Sose
11-12-2002, 07:39 AM
I am no expert but I think if you work on the flow around the cheeks you will notice a big diference

SplineGod
11-13-2002, 02:10 AM
I drew in where I would change the flow. I also put in a simple head that has most of the flow done correctly.

Kaiser_Sose
11-13-2002, 06:00 AM
Delete one side or turn on symetry and try and follow what Larry has shown you ... you will see a big difference

SplineGod
11-13-2002, 06:13 AM
For one thing your object is looking too gridlike and boxy.
Make sure you dont have points in straight lines. Make edges follow nice arcs. You have to change the flow and look carefully at the edge loops (contours that follow natural facial structures due to muscle and bones under the skin). The lines I drew are following edge loops.
Edge loops can be created using bevel, smooth shift, and spin quads. There is a free tool called edge tools that help to create edge loops too.

stompbox
11-13-2002, 08:57 AM
Thanks for advice, particularly SplineGod, I appreciate it.

I'll get stuck into it tonight ... :airguitar

proton
11-13-2002, 04:50 PM
Thanx for the great reference pix SplineGod....sometimes it's easier to see it in a pic then read about...thanx for taking the time.

CGTalk Moderation
01-13-2006, 10:00 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.