PDA

View Full Version : Tool for forming facial expressions?

Swordsman
10-05-2005, 03:39 PM
Hello all I was working with endomorphs to get my character ready for facial animation. Only problem is that I can't seem to find the right tools to work around the geometry in a suitable way. Am I going to have to go in there and adjust point by point or is there a tool to move groups of points in a better way. Insight into others methods would help me a great deal, thanks!

telamon
10-05-2005, 03:43 PM
you can rough out the endomorphs using the magnet, dragnet tools or create weightmap and use them as falloffs for the conventional modification tools (move, rotate, scale). Anyway, you'll have to fine tweak everything point by point in the end.

Swordsman
10-05-2005, 03:56 PM
Wow thanks for the quick reply Telamon. Those tips really help. I never even thought of using a weight map. Thanks a bunch. I don't want this thread to be over so quick though so please keep posting tips if you have them!

telamon
10-05-2005, 04:55 PM
A quick tip that can be found in splinegod's creation CDs, create weightmap for the eyelid. Give a 100 % weight value for the points surrounding the eyes and 50 % for other points of the eyelid and rotate them using this WM as falloff. The rotation center is the center of the eye. Tweak one or two points. Bingo closed eyes.

Create a similar WM for the jaw. Rotate it using the jaw axis as a center, tweak one two points... mouth opened... bingo.

If endomorph A is close to endomorph B, make a copy of B using the WM Pannel call it B and make the necessary adjustments.

And so on and so far :buttrock:

uncommongrafx
10-05-2005, 06:47 PM
And from Jonny's book, don't forget that you can sculpt in Layout, saving endos from there, as well. In this way, you can fill'er up with bones, play around with the geometry and voila, have a new endo.
No one has mentioned it in this mix, but MotionMixer can be taken advantage of in this way, too. In this manner you can take advantage of the non-linear functionality of mm. Go look for MikeRB's tute on using mm on hands. It works wonderful for ALL AROUND motions and particularly for seeding your endo list.

doc sampson
10-05-2005, 08:46 PM
A quick tip that can be found in splinegod's creation CDs, create weightmap for the eyelid. Give a 100 % weight value for the points surrounding the eyes and 50 % for other points of the eyelid and rotate them using this WM as falloff. The rotation center is the center of the eye. Tweak one or two points. Bingo closed eyes.

Create a similar WM for the jaw. Rotate it using the jaw axis as a center, tweak one two points... mouth opened... bingo.

If endomorph A is close to endomorph B, make a copy of B using the WM Pannel call it B and make the necessary adjustments.

And so on and so far :buttrock:

You can also tie the behavior of one morph channel to another by using cycler or a simple expression. This also gives a nonlinear effect.

telamon
10-05-2005, 10:40 PM
This is the beginning of a GREAT Thread baby :buttrock:

Personnally, I prefer to use Smartskin (JointMorphPlus) instead of cycler. More easy to setup IMHO... I create a blank bone with no influence at all and link the endomorphs to one of its rotation channel.

Swordsman
10-05-2005, 11:48 PM
Holy moly that's a lot of good stuff! Thanks for all the replies guys. I'm starting to see that Lightwave is quite powerful and deeper than I ever imagined. Keep the techniques coming I'm writing it all down!

doc sampson
10-06-2005, 03:08 AM
I like cycler because I can hand sculpt the behavior of one or more morph channels manually and then link all of that to another channel to automate the playback of those handkeyed channels. This allows a complex nonlinear response which you cant really do with joint morph.

CGTalk Moderation
10-06-2005, 03:08 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.