PDA

View Full Version : compressing my demoreel

yonathangz
10-05-2005, 02:28 PM
hi guys,
I'm not really sure that my question belong here but i'll ask it anyway.
I just finished editing my demoreel with after effects and I want to put it on my website and get some crits, the problem is I want to render to a .mov file but the files come out huge (640x480 with best quality - 1.2 Gb) in low quality it comes out about 300Mb. When I see people's reels it usually about 60 Mb. How can I compress it? When I choose a quicktime format in the pre-render dialog, I cannot choose out from different codecs (like I do when I choose a "video for windows" format) I can only choose my quality and number of fps.
Btw, when I render to a divx codec I reach a 30Mb record which is also too big.
Hope you'll be able to assist me,
thanks,
yoni

JohnnyRandom
10-05-2005, 06:11 PM
Typically any mpg4 codec is best used for web distro. divx,xvid,wmv,qt all are/or have mpg4 codecs.

You say you got 30mb out of divx, that sounds about right to me for a full-res (720x480@.09,29.95fps) for 3 or so minutes. You may be able to get it to 22mb with two-pass and some tweaking (probably more effort than its worth)

My suggestion would be to put up more than just one size. Put up at least two best yet 6, 3 .mov and 3 .avi (240x180, 320x240, and full-res) so you get all bandwidth's/audiences covered.

???When I see people's reels it usually about 60 Mb.
Btw, when I render to a divx codec I reach a 30Mb record which is also too big. Strange you say this. Is there something drastically different from your reel and others.

BTW to possibly help answer your question...

1.Add your comp to the render queu.
2.In the render queu window, choose the composition you want to render and click the blue-text in the "Output Module" field. The "Output Module Settings" window opens.
3.Choose your format in the "Format" drop-down.
4.Click the "Format Options" button.
5.Choose the codec you want to use.
6.Click "configure" now choose the settings which you wish to use.
7.Every thing else is going to be trail and error. Every codec is different and will react to your video differently (some compress green & blues better than reds kind of thing) change the bitrates (probably the most basic setting that will give you the quickest results)

jasonsco
10-06-2005, 01:57 AM
Well, what is your demo reel for? Compositing? Lighting? Modeling? Depending on the area, you might get away with smaller resolution, less quality, etc. Also, if you are going to send the link to your demo reel out to companies, I would not use a codec such as DivX or Xvid, or any other non-standard codec. Most recruiters won't have the codec installed on their computer, and subsequently, won't watch your reel.

However, if it's just for people here on CGTalk, that might be fine.

yonathangz
10-06-2005, 05:19 PM
thanks for your comments, I finally found what was under my nose all the time - the quicktime codec list.

My demo is not gonna go further than this site so I will use Divx anyway because thats the best comperssion I managed to achieve.

thanks again and you can watch it here (http://www.yonathan3d.com)

JohnnyRandom
10-06-2005, 09:58 PM
Cool reel:)

jussing
10-13-2005, 03:47 PM
Once more, I'll shamelessly advertise this: Quicktime codec settings tutorial (http://forums.cgsociety.org/showthread.php?t=180825) :)

Cheers,
- Jonas

jussing
10-13-2005, 04:02 PM
Hey again, just watched the reel, and it looks mighty cool!

But I'll agree with Jason that you should stay away from DivX for reel purposes... I just downloaded the newest DivX codec, and your video file makes nasty color artifacts all over the place, in DivX player, Windows Media Player, and RealPlayer...

Cheers,
- Jonas

SHEPEIRO
10-13-2005, 04:17 PM
have you tried Bing video tools, i dont know if they are good for long videos, but i have seen high quality(800*600) 20 second videos for around the 6meg mark, you can also set them up with their own .exe file so so that anyone can play them, no need for codec hassle. they are used for alot of game FMV/intro stuff well worth a look.

JohnnyRandom
10-14-2005, 12:42 AM
Hey again, just watched the reel, and it looks mighty cool!

But I'll agree with Jason that you should stay away from DivX for reel purposes... I just downloaded the newest DivX codec, and your video file makes nasty color artifacts all over the place, in DivX player, Windows Media Player, and RealPlayer...

Cheers,
- Jonas

Nasty color artifacts? didn't see those here...

Nice QT tut. BTW

Most recruiters won't have the codec installed on their computer, and subsequently, won't watch your reel.

umm dont you think it's best to find out what formats recruiters accept before sending anything? Your statement is a moot point.

Non-standard codecs are you living in a cave :D?? Is that why you can buy a full range of set-top dvd players with Divx/xvid/wmv???

Nothing wrong with mpg4 for web distro... Man you guys are silly... read my previous post... Multiple versions... HQ+MQ+LQ why is everyone so single minded... go visit any movie trailer and what do you see? hmmm let me guess... a choice! :P:D be QT or flash thats mpg4 80% of the time your watching there...

BTW DIVX is fine... WMV is better (its free and easily accessible) QT you have to pay for the upgrade to encode (WTF? lame)

MPG4 is hands down the best quality/compression ratio out there at the mo... If someone is to review your demo online and doesn't have an mpg4 decoder installed you probably don't want to work with them anyway as they aren't even close to being aware of current technology... You'd be modelling in Max2.5 (uh wake-up and smell the coffee MPG4 has been around for like 6 years now and if you haven't figured that out yet well now's the time)

jasonsco
10-14-2005, 01:39 AM
Yes, MPEG-4 is now a standard, so the basic download of Quicktime has it installed. I'm not referring to resolution (your HQ+MQ+LQ comment), but that's a great idea. That will definitely cover the bases for audience/bandwidth, like you said.

However, when I've been reviewing dozens of reels per day, and I run across a résumé that asks me to visit a website, and when I go there, I can't open the reel due to the codec, I automatically throw the résumé away. It's not worth my time. Send me a VHS tape (or now, even a DVD is fine) instead. I know almost all the major VFX and animation houses generally feel the same way.

JohnnyRandom
10-14-2005, 05:04 PM
...I run across a résumé that asks me to visit a website, and when I go there, I can't open the reel due to the codec, I automatically throw the résumé away. It's not worth my time.

I don't blame you, I'd throw them away too... just for the fact that the sender didn't do their homework... mmmmnnn reel submission guidelines :D Man as if that isn't overly emphasized in every article ever written about getting a job in the industry...

yonathangz
10-27-2005, 09:04 PM
hi, just came back from a wonderful trip to spain...

thanks for all your advises!
so, jason, What about a job for me??? (internship would be fine as well)

evanfotis
10-27-2005, 10:26 PM
Hi yonathangz,
I've managed rendering to wmv which will produce even smaller files than DivX.
Try the presets, streaming or other and the bandwith 256-1024 and figure what works best for you.

Note: For AE to render wmv, you need the windows media encoder, free from Microsoft.

CGTalk Moderation
10-27-2005, 10:26 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.