PDA

View Full Version : ZBrush Seam Repair?

DeadBoy
10-05-2005, 07:58 AM
Hey All,

I been working on this model in Maya 6.5 for quite some time now, and finally got to generate a normal map for it using ZBrush (http://forums.cgsociety.org/showthread.php?t=280169). But when I plugged the OutColor into the NormalCamera node, I got a few noticeable seams. No UVs are overlapping (as far as I can tell), and nothing has been mirrored. Also, it almost seems like detail pushed OUT from the geometry is pushed IN on the normal map! :banghead: Am I doing something wrong, or is this normal? Is there an easy way to repair this without having to redo the whole thing?

The attached pic has a default grey texture on it- if anyone could help I would greatly appreciate it!!!

Deadboy

SHEPEIRO
10-05-2005, 09:41 AM
generally its one of the sticking problems of the normal mapping process. the way to get around it is by designing things to hide the seams, or if they are in smooth areas you can paint the map with R128 G128 B225 along the seams. its best really to design your creature around these limitaions, so in your case give him some shoulder pads or braces or something to hide the seams.

DeadBoy
10-05-2005, 04:21 PM
Thanks Shapeiro:thumbsup:

I heard there was some way to manually tweak the normal map in PS, but didn't know the exact color to use. Just out of curiosity, is there any other way to apply the normal map in Maya that may display better in SW Render? I cant be sure without seeing the texture on it, but it looks a little like I lost some of the detail on my model- can hardly see the alpha brush work, and some scars that were supposed to bump out appear to be bumping in.

Of course, I tested it with one spotlight in maya, maybe it would look better with 3-point. But is there any way to get better res? My map is currently 1024.

Thanks!

db

SHEPEIRO
10-05-2005, 04:35 PM
i would say that the res your using is fine. add a little shine to your SW render and the surface will be easier to see.,

i dont use maya much so cant help you much.

you can add or redo some of the stuff with Nvidias PS filter, you can down load it from their web site. i would have done the detail(skin, scars) with this as you will at least know what you are going to get, you wont be modelling detail that the texture cant pick out.

CGTalk Moderation
10-05-2005, 04:35 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.