PDA

View Full Version : Animation Student DEMOREEL

Charkins
10-05-2005, 02:59 AM
Greetings,

I have finally put together a current demoreel consisting of my 3D animation projects. I am so glad that these projects are "completed" and moving on to bigger better things!

Here are some screengrabs to provoke you into watching the demoreel:

http://img237.imageshack.us/img237/3915/untitled10wp.jpg

Any and all comments (or questions) are welcome. I appreciate any feedback - which seems to be hard to find.

Software Used: Alias Maya 4.5-6.5, Photoshop CS, After Effects.

DEMOREEL: http://www.charkins.com/Gallery/HarkinsReel.mov (Please right-click and save as)

zugz
10-05-2005, 03:31 AM
I wouldn't make this your final reel but it shows some promise. In reguards to your character the walk cycle is very rigid. You should try to show a little more transfer of weight. For example, his shoulders torso should rock left to right when he walks. Also when he goes up the stairs he should lean into it following his line of action. I like the model quite a bit, specially his face. Did you model and texture or did you just animate? Another thing i would think about changing up a little is your content. The title of this thread was Animation Student Demoreel but there is quite a bit that is not animation. I would get rid of the lego ship at the end and the tractor and either get rid of, or change the insect crawling. Maybe try having the insect interact with an enviornment. One more thing about the charcter, around the 10 second mark he steps a little to his right but his torso doesn't move at all, they seem very independant of each other. Once again, it looks good but there are some areas you can improve on.

Charkins
10-05-2005, 03:53 AM
Good crit, thank you!

Did you model and texture or did you just animate? - I modeled, mapped, textured, rigged, animated, etc (everything) myself. The model is based off of my pictures and the texture was hand painted in PS.

Charkins
10-05-2005, 03:41 PM
115 views and only 1 comment? :shrug:

mattmos
10-05-2005, 04:18 PM
I think zugz got it pretty spot on, its a decent reel showing that you can handle a lot of different areas pretty well, but the animation is probably the weakest area of the reel. The basics like the weight of the characters doesn't come across. I'd consider selling yourself as a 3d generalist until you get a bit more practice in on the animation.

Charkins
10-05-2005, 04:32 PM
Thanks, mattmos.

You are correct. I have yet to find a particular area to specialize in. For now, I'm tryin to be the jack of all trades. But as we all know, that could lead to being 'ok' in many areas and not excellent in any one area. I'm tryin to learn as much about everything because all areas are interesting. I still can't figure out which area I want to devote all my time and energy to.

jabuhrer
10-07-2005, 01:32 AM
Hey man. Good start on your reel! About the views versus replies, I've found that the smaller your video file is, the better your view to reply ratio will be.

Keep up the good work!

lane_hawk
10-07-2005, 01:43 PM
Hello Oculus,

Good start on you reel! You've got some nice ideas there. I really like your models and environment work! I found the animation to be a bit rigid and stiff in places. The first shot showing your character in a strange environment, he's a bit worried, he can't see what's infront of him is a great animation idea. I would act in out and really put yourself into. Film yourself if possible. Pretend you are in the same strange place he is, you hear something strange but you can't see it. You will notice how your hips and shoulder move, how you arch your back, how your body shifts weight etc. These are all very important things to keep in mind and will add so much to your animation. As I'm sure you know there are many good walk cycle references out there. Study how the hips move. The chettah model is great and I really liked his animation at the end. Also the stomach bug is another good idea. It reminds me of the flower sack excercise we did at school. I would use he little top half as a head and give it some secondary motion. This might give the animation some more attidude. Anyway good work! Keep going!

-KDX-
10-07-2005, 03:10 PM
ahh, a fellow MTSU person, I recognized the project setups right away! Looks good man, good to see nice new talent coming out of my alma mater!!!

tell Ping I said HI!!! You were most likely a freshman when I was graduating...anyways, the reel is a good one from what I have seen from buffering frames (apple plugins.....sigh). If I were you I would take everyone's critiques very seriously because the CGTalkers know their stuff!! =) So any piece of advice you hear that doesn't sound like complete grivel, I would jump on it.

As for my crits, lemme dl this beast and I'll give you my full review...been watchin fragments so far...I'll post back later and also--

I am in middle TN area still and doing independant work along with my full time job. You can drop me an email or PM me if you ever wanna collaborate on a project. I am still working to perfect my art while also doing graphic design work for a local screenprinting company, but I have enough free time that if you wanted to collab on a short or perhaps a small game mod that I could probably be a good help. Anyways, Peace for now.

-KDX-

CGTalk Moderation
10-07-2005, 03:10 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.