PDA

View Full Version : Creating an animated line drawing? In 3D?

Takhisos
10-05-2005, 01:12 AM
Creating an animated line drawing? In 3D?
Hi guys, I guess this in its standard form is a pretty mundane thing to do, but I want to create an animation from a hand drawing I have, it doesn't have to be 'the' hand drawing, but i've got to animate a 'Toaster' that iv'e hand drawn... in 3D! Odd huh.

I'd like the edges to be rough, as if its a close in view of a pencil drawing if possible, but its not essential.

So basically, I just would like to know how to animate a line drawing, that I can build in 3D... I guess..

Any ideas would be great. This is a challenge set down by a company so I can get a work placement next year so it'd be really really helpful if I could get some input.

Cheers,

Rob.

Y0da
10-05-2005, 08:48 AM
I would use splines and make them renderable. Just draw the toaster with the line tool and change it's properties to renderable and give it a suitable thickness. And there you have it. 3d lines. ;)

Ian Jones
10-05-2005, 12:03 PM
Another alternative is to use something like After Effects to do animated 2d texture maps... in AFX you could use the vector paint, or more easily the write on effect. Then bring it into a 3d program and apply it to some simple geometry like planes, or if you really want you could use AFX and its 2.5d system.

Squash-n-Stretch
10-06-2005, 11:02 AM
I saw a tut for this in Max 6's tutorials yesterday...;)

Takhisos
10-06-2005, 11:23 AM
Where abouts squash?

CGTalk Moderation
10-06-2005, 11:23 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.