PDA

View Full Version : WIP male anatomical model...

chamade
02-25-2002, 08:42 AM
Hello everyone,

this is my first post on this forum...here's a model I've been working on lately and that I pretty much finished...BUT...before
starting with some hardcore rigging I thought I'd ask here for
a few pointers regarding the model.

It's supposed to be a statue(coming to life) once rigged(hence the ghetto pose) and
animated so there won't be any textures. Also the
exaggeration of the arm/hand/feet size and the non
academic rib cage is intentional, borrowed from Classical
sculpture...

zeebit
02-25-2002, 11:02 AM
it sucks
you should give up on life

you will never get a job. (you get a call from ilm yet?)

so now that i have said what you knew i was going to say, i will say what normal people would say.

i don't have any real problems with it cept his head is a little wierd, but i told you about that when you first did it. And it is a shame that you couldn't get the displacements working for his 'hair"

otherwise, it is pretty sweet. just gotta work on your speed.

groove,
pete

kpalazov
02-25-2002, 11:17 AM
wow this is absolutley amazing. The detail and correctness of the model are fantastic. I was in aw when I first saw it. I have been struggling to pull of a simple head for the last couple of weeks and then I see this. I take my hat off to you and your dedication to the creation of such a model. Well done.

It would be great if you could provide some additional information on the model and maybe a close up of the head and mesh.
kpalazov@hotmail.com is my mail

chamade
02-25-2002, 11:55 AM
OK, thought i'd post some close ups and wires before going to
bed > http://www.3dluvr.com/chamade/cgtalk/

Zeebit, me and you need to have a little talk..:/

Gilgamesh
02-25-2002, 12:02 PM
Wow. I really like the face. Great stuff. Do we get to see the animation when you are done?

onuryeldan
02-25-2002, 12:55 PM
WOOOW... INCREDIBLE !!!

JacquesD
02-25-2002, 04:21 PM
Very good modeling, really.
How many polygons?
I'm curious to see the wireframe.

malcolm
02-25-2002, 05:39 PM
Nice one,
The face looks a bit older than the body though ?
looks like some sagging of the skin around the eyes.
Can we see a close up on the face?
Also the Biceps look rather large or is it just my skinning arms which are toothin ????:D

overall an excellent job!

Troydm
02-25-2002, 05:46 PM
Very cooooooolllll model !!!
Where didi u modeled and rendered it ?

chrislomaka
02-25-2002, 05:50 PM
very nice model. it looks a lot like the 'visible human' project where they chopped up a (dead) convict (who donated his body to science), and then created 3d models of him and all his organs, muscles, etc...

and get a fig leaf for that guy.
heh

goodlag
02-25-2002, 06:13 PM
Awesome. It's like.... So real.

http://www.newtek.com/discus/messages/2/18525.gif

toma
02-25-2002, 08:52 PM
I like it too.

I was just wondering how you could create such a clean model (that seems to be quite "heavy" anyway) in Maya.

May i ask you what method you used ? And the way you work ? I have already tried to model usign subD in Maya but never really managed to it. Maybe you could tell me things that would get me involved in the Maya learning process :)

Anyway, that model is really great. Seeing him moving would be fantastic !

Just a word about rendering : what did you use to render it ? Is it fake GI ?

Thx by advance, and keep going !

chamade
02-26-2002, 12:36 AM
Thanks for the comments, the closeups and some wires are
here:
http://www.3dluvr.com/chamade/cgtalk/

Toma: I used Maya polygons for the model and the Connect Poly Shape script which lets you use a SDS like workflow on polygons.
The way I start is make a simple primitive for the part of the body I'm starting and start splitting the correct topology for the model keeping in mind the anatomy and edge loops. WHen I'm done with splitting and sculpting the genetal forms I go in with the split tool again and start adding all the details. IMO, it's all in understanding the forms(don't guess anything about the human body!!) and having a good feel of your poly/nurbs/sds tools in order to be able to model the subtleties, muscles, etc. - which comes with experience.
I just used the GI_Joe.mel dome light in Maya with an added side light for the strong sun light effect.

Regarding animation, heh, I don't feel comfortable enough with my animation skills yet to try to animate this guy. In the neat future I'm planning to put him in a contraposto pose on a stand so i have something decent to put on my site and animte him in a story for my future reel.

Polycount is ~39,000 quads for the highres model.

Raul-Reznek
02-26-2002, 01:02 AM
Trully IMPRESSIVE.
I really wish to see how the dude raises his arms, usually that's here people go nuts.
Afetr u model a perfectly lookin meshm you put bones through and u see all ur work fu@*ed up before your eyes.

THAT's anoying isn't it???!

chamade
02-26-2002, 01:07 AM
That is true Raul, but depends on the type of setup;)

I did some shoulder motion tests already and ended up with some pretty good results in no time by using corrective blendshapes and flexors.

mr-doOo
02-26-2002, 01:11 AM
WOW great model, is it personal or professional job??

toma
02-26-2002, 02:39 PM
Hi Chamade, and all the others.

Thanks for your reply. I know a bit more now. But maybe i'd rather ask all those things in the Maya forum instead of an artwork zone.

I keep your nickname in mind, maybe i'll have to ask you some things the day where i learn Maya for real...if i find the time and motivation.

I love your model, just have the impression that you can touch it, as if it was really there. As if it was clay. I LOVE IT !!!

leigh
02-26-2002, 02:53 PM
Wow. Beautiful. Stunning. Wonderful work!!!! That's all I can say... This is really really good. Amazing.

xynaria
02-26-2002, 03:20 PM
Seen this before (3DLuvr?) and I was very impressed then and it looks to have subtly improved since then. One of the best I've seen to date. Great!!!!! :)

V-A Rautiola
02-26-2002, 05:38 PM
Very good modelling.
Keep up the good work.

V-A
http://3d.tunneli.com

chamade
03-10-2002, 06:26 PM
Wellp, here is the almost-final image of the guy posed in a Classical theme...

highres at http://www.3dluvr.com/chamade/temp/filip.jpg

skunk184
03-10-2002, 09:08 PM
Fantastic model ....but i think you may have some problems when skinning your mesh as the tops of the arms are so close to his chest... i hope it all goes well

chamade
03-17-2002, 07:35 PM

Negos
03-17-2002, 08:15 PM
Wow:eek: :bounce:
Real good work. He remembers me the michelangelo's statues: David without hair.
:buttrock:

Sorry for my English.

meshsmooth
03-17-2002, 09:57 PM
just one negative thing to say...
i think the hands look to big

chamade
03-17-2002, 10:01 PM
Originally posted by meshsmooth
just one negative thing to say...
i think the hands look to big

They are, intentionaly. It's not built to academic proportions.

Raul-Reznek
03-17-2002, 11:21 PM
WHAT can I say??

The guys is ....... a 'BIG BALLER' :D

SUPERBE MODELING, SIMPLY amazing :eek:

The look of the final thing is GREAT.
SUPERBE anatomy.

Delucubus
03-18-2002, 12:35 AM
I'll add in and say great model. I've been studying Rennaissance painting and sculpture lately and first thing i thought of before even reading your post was that this totaly reminded me of it.

About the hands, look at Michelangelo's David (i'm sure you have) the hands are bigger much like yours. And the contraposto looks good too, like he's about to walk off that podium.

jbradford
03-18-2002, 12:42 AM
Chamade! You already know my comments about the model :) Nice to be on spring break to get some *real* work done heh. Good work, the latest render is awesome.

Koma
03-18-2002, 01:56 AM
awesome modeling,great great image

machuc
03-18-2002, 04:02 AM
amazing work!

ZPitt
03-18-2002, 11:48 AM
Yeah. amazing work!!! hehe!!

I like your work about its detail of the modle! And there's a bit wrong on its cock hehe!

Lorenzo
03-19-2002, 05:12 PM
but one thing I dont like is the background, same, still made in photoshop filters, with Brazil (rendering systeme), you can do realy better effect in the deep of feald option.
Realy good muscles, one of the best model I see here.
:wip: , keep working,

ETL:cool:

(ps), sorry for my poor inglish.
:(

phreaknasty
03-27-2002, 11:30 AM
really quite extraordinary. its probably one of the best human characters i've seem on the net. you've pulled off the classical style very well.

the only crit i have mimics malcom's comment that, at least for my personal taste, the head seems a bit old.

any chance you'll repost the wires?

great work. i'd love to see some more in-depth explanation of your technique and/or maybe some earlier iterations, but regardless, thanks for sharing.

Korgath
03-27-2002, 11:44 AM
Godlike.

Warden
03-27-2002, 06:51 PM
Amazing detail!
I would love to see some animation tests with different muscle groups flexing.

My only nitpicky critique is that the biceps seem too large and take up too much of the total mass of the upper arm (which seems slightly too long). Shouldn't we see more of the triceps?

toma
03-27-2002, 07:37 PM
Chamade, i still can not realize the beauty of this model and of the mood around...

Tell me, do you hand draw anatomical models ? If yes, i'd love to see them. I have started drawing lessons this year and I love seeing how people draw.

As for the rendering, did you use a HDRI map ? The rendering lets me think that :)

Anyway it's gorgeous... KEEP GOING !!!

toma.

Panholzer
03-27-2002, 08:15 PM
Absolutely Fantastic!!!

I think the face is not too old...your inspiration was from a classical sculpture and you abided to that perfectly...But unless your going for the disproportions similar to Michaelangelo's David, you might want to decrease the size of the hands just a tad...

Panholzer
03-27-2002, 08:21 PM
forget the hand thing ...so it was intentional...I saw the other replies...I guess I should read those before adding outdated criticisms ... apologies

Luciasil
03-27-2002, 09:58 PM
i really love your details!!!! great work

;)

OZ
03-28-2002, 03:13 AM
JAWDROP AND MINDOFF!!!!!:eek: i have no words....amazing.

xtrm3d
03-28-2002, 03:57 AM
nothing but nothing to critize !!!!!
he look too good ..
tooooo goooood...
great lighningt and image composition ...

you ar a 3d god !

christophe

xtrm3d
03-28-2002, 03:58 AM
huummm ?? and i forgot...
can we see a wireframe plzzz !!
:-)

dave_baer
03-28-2002, 08:53 AM
Friggin A man! Looks killer but...

The biceps are a bit long. Anatomically, the biceps don't go all the way to the elbow joint like you have. The muscle starts about two fingers above the joint. Put your middle and index finger on your arm where your middle finger rests in the crease of your elbow joint. You'll find that the muscle starts just above your index finger.

Also, get rid of the modeled pubes. (ha ha) Looks kinda like he has some sort of veneral disease there. =)

Zero Degree
03-28-2002, 08:59 AM
It's people like you that I'm afraid of... Please don't take away my job!

IT'S PERFECT!
EXCELLENT WORK!!

Daveaustin
03-28-2002, 06:19 PM
Fantastic model!! but give the guy some dignity..where's the pants?? ;)

poor bloke, sorry only joking.. keep up the good work

MaskTX
06-29-2002, 07:41 AM
I love sculptures! I dont like males, but i like females more!
This is great modeling in all!:buttrock:

Fred Heys
06-29-2002, 07:52 AM
That is ....really good..awsome anatomy

The Magic Pen
06-29-2002, 09:04 AM
Wow...:buttrock:

maligo
02-03-2003, 08:57 AM
http://www.3dluvr.com/chamade/cgtalk/

the wireframe link doesn't work, have you removed the pictures?
Does anyone else have them?

CGTalk Moderation
01-13-2006, 01:00 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.