PDA

View Full Version : Cyber-Samurai warrior

Snefer
10-04-2005, 04:21 PM
This is my firt lowpoly model, and my first character model aswell. One of my first models in Maya aswell. Now that I have emphasized how very little experience I have of this, please go ahead and comment/crit. 1600 polygons, 3200 tris. (will probably get polycount down to 3000 if I need to) cheers / Tor

utchamp
10-04-2005, 05:38 PM
Incredible.... simply incredible.

I like the detail on the armour and leather.

One question.
What are the silver things coming up beside his head?

Nice job

DeadBoy
10-04-2005, 06:25 PM
Not bad for a first model:) Couple of crits though...

Dont mean this to sound harsh, but it seems like you spent more time hand-painting the bump map than getting the anatomy to look right. It will be hard to crit without a wireframe shot, but it seems your legs are a little boxy, and possibly too short. You may want to lengthen them a little and give this guy more muscle definition. The hands need to be a bit more defined, along with the muscles in the shoulder/bicep area. Also, the mask this guy's got looks like a couple of simple extrudes; see if you can model a mask to form a human face through edge loops. I'd suggest buying an Anatomy reference book for artists to help you getyour proportions down.

You also have a lot of problems with the UV layout; the bump map looks stretched in several places, and the bump texture itself seems like it's been jacked up considerably for effect. Bump maps are not usually used in game characters (normal maps are becoming the...well, norm), but if you plan on doing it, be subtle. The mouth has several lines that are crooked, and the vest is basically a bunch of squiggles. Again, not to be harsh- your character is far better than many other first-timers out there, believe me- but you can get a lot further with clean modeling and clever texturing.

There are plenty of good sites out there that can help you learn to use texturing to make this guy look awesome, that way you dont have to rely on bump maps for things you dont need. One good one is www.photoshopcafe.com (http://www.photoshopcafe.com/). Keep up the good work, and keep modeling...:thumbsup:

Snefer
10-05-2005, 07:17 AM
Thanks for the comment. As for his proportions, I think it's just the armor and angle that fools you, his proportions are quite alright. (maybe the arms are a wee bit short, but so are mine). As for the mask, it follows the shape of a human head, since I modelled it outside a human head for reference. But I do agree that the bump map looks like sh*t, but I though it would look better than nothing. It's not high res enough to look good with all that detail, either. I have almost never textured with photoshop only before, so I have no idea how to accomplish what I want. But hopefully I've learned something for my next model ^^

I thought going normal map was overkill for an introductory course in 3d *hehe*

xX_eXiGe_Xx
10-05-2005, 03:44 PM
Just amazing! :applause:

DeadBoy
10-05-2005, 06:01 PM
Yeah, next time its a good idea to post a wire to make crits easier. The shape of the mask is fine, its the boxes where his eyes and mouth are I was referring to. If you are new to PS, a great starting book is called PhotoShop for Animators by Mesmer (www.mesmer.com (http://www.mesmer.com)). It is very basic, but will show you how to use the tools and create some basic stuff in PS for your models.

Keep up the good work- with what you learned doing this model, the next will be even better...

CGTalk Moderation
10-05-2005, 06:01 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.