PDA

View Full Version : Rigging, crashing and major distress.

abb25
10-04-2005, 02:44 PM
Hi,

I've been Following Jason Osipa's Book Stop Staring to create facial blendshapes for a character I have made and used the script to connect it to his interface. I attached the head to the body and it was all working fine. I made the rig and it seems to be working fine but whenever I try binding it to the skin Maya crashes with a fatal error. I am a complete maya novice and have no idea why it is happening. Has anyone else encountered this and know what is going on?
Any help would be greatly appreciated.

-abb

Dichotomy
10-04-2005, 11:45 PM
i've never ran into that... one thing you can do, to see if it is the face setup, is just delete the history on the mesh, and then try to attach it to the rig. If it doesn't crash from that, it might be because of the setup that it has on it from the face setup. lets see... if that doesn't work, you might try having maya ignore all the nodes... Modify>EvaluateNodes>IgnoreAll... that can sometimes work (kindof a jimmy-rig style fix). If that doesn't work... and you have permission to, I'd be willing to check your file out, kinda tough to troubleshoot without seeing it.
(Im using 6.0 still)
let me know,

abb25
10-07-2005, 11:08 AM
Hi Dichotomy,

Thank you so much, I tried deleting the history on the mesh and you're right it seems to be the face setup that is making it crash. Would it be possible to apply the face setup after it's been bound or would that mess things up further?
Thank you for your help, I think you've saved my computer from any undue acts of violence.

-abb

Gnimmel
10-08-2005, 03:47 PM
This sounds like a strange error, perhaps a node that wasn't deleted correctly because this should work fine. However, being a maya novice as you put it, means it will probably be hard to track down, so if you can't you could always try using the facial set up as a blendshape driver. Instead of rigging the mesh with the facial set up, duplicate the mesh and rig that instead. Then you can make the facial rig version of the mesh a blendshape for the new rigged mesh and leave it's weight set to 1. This way any animation you do to the face rig will also update on the main rig.
It's a bit of a bodge, but it should work if you can't track down the problem.

Richard

Dichotomy
10-08-2005, 09:03 PM
you could try putting the skin on before the face setup. If that works, you'll will have to go into the inputs and drag the blends below the skin.(rightClickOnMesh>>Inputs>>AllInputs>>clickAndDragBlendsBelowMesh)
You might also try this... in the command line type

select "*skin*"

then delete whatever is selected (which will be any skin Nodes)
Now, grab the main mesh and go into your hyperGrah, graph the node and connections, and look at what is connected to the mesh before there is the skin applied. If you can figure out what it is from there, perfect, if not, you can list them here and we'll keep probing.

abb25
10-10-2005, 08:26 PM
Hi,

I went back to an earlier version where the head and body are separate without the face setup but it still keeps crashing whenever I try to rig it.
Not too sure if this is the right thing but I think the things that are connected to the mesh before the skin is applied for the body are:
PolySurfaceShape1(mesh)
PolySmoothFace1(polySmoothFace)
BodyShapeOrig
tweak8

and on the head:
HeadShapeOrig(mesh)
HeadShapeParallel(mesh)
EyelidShapes
FaceShapes
parallelBlender
PolySmoothFace2(polySmoothFace)
tweak9

My attachment limit is 252kb and the file is 680kb so I put it up on this place: http://pickup.mofile.com/7857823248930745
if it'll make sense of my incoherent ramblings.

Thanks for all your help

Dichotomy
10-10-2005, 10:51 PM
ok, so I had no problem assigning a skin to the mesh... It worked just fine... even when the blends were on when I assigned it... not sure why yours is crashing (non-repeatables are hard to troubleshoot). but even if you get your skin on, you are going to have all sorts of issues with your rig. because of the way your rig is setup, with bones under groups under curves under bones etc. You are breaking your skeleton chain and the skin isn't applying to all of your joints. So when the arms are skinned and working, your legs wont, because they aren't "considered" by maya as part of the same skeleton. You can put bones under Groups under bones, and maya will still retain the skeleton structure (it will actually show the joint as parented to the bones above it) but when you add geometry or curves, you lose your structure and maya wont bind all of your joints with the skin. I would consider that a bigger priority right now, because it doesn't do you any good to get the skin applied if it can't be applied correctly.
:thumbsup:

abb25
10-15-2005, 11:52 AM
Thank you :)

CGTalk Moderation
10-15-2005, 11:52 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.