PDA

View Full Version : Magnacarta - Calinz - normal mapped - game character

superlayer
10-04-2005, 01:52 PM
Ok here is the big one.
Calinz from Magna Carta to be modeled with an all shiney plastic looking normal map. I am trying to be sarcastic here.
I got a little stuck with my Helios and Joker characters so not to waste time I decided to start this one early.

I dont have anything to show yet but this amazing concept by Hyung Tae Kim:
http://i15.photobucket.com/albums/a384/superlayer/MC_calintz1.jpg

eMPeck
10-04-2005, 02:29 PM
I hope You'll finish them all soon. I really cannot wait.

LordDubu
10-04-2005, 04:10 PM
I like the concept a lot. Hyung Tae Kim gets propz.

I shall now see if I can find the other threads that are hinted at in this post.

b1ll
10-04-2005, 05:13 PM
If i were you, I would try to acctualy finish one low poly game character, to understand right how to do them, before jumping in a third one.

b1ll

AdamAtomic
10-04-2005, 05:27 PM
Or not jumping into another one, since this one hasn't even been started yet. I agree with b1ll, there is so much you will learn just by executing one complete character that you will want to redo the other two anyways. See one through to completion, you will learn all kinds of unexpected and useful things! I am still learning new UV mapping and modeling tricks after...well after a long time ;) Let's leave it at that.

superlayer
10-04-2005, 06:59 PM
Maybe you are right but I am doing this so I keep my self occupied even when I get stuck etc. So far this is only modeling and I havent even started optimizing yet etc. But point is taken. Fact is I started just a few days ago and work is experience and work is learning nomatter if I do one or 4 characters at the same time. Yes I have 4 going in just a week.
I feel happy doing it this way and since the last one is a normal mapped char its essentially hipoly first and thats where I have all my expertise so it shouldnt really be a problem if I start it now.
Time is of the essence gentlemen.

b1ll
10-04-2005, 08:48 PM
The thing is, the further along the model u will go, the more tricks you will find, and the better way to do the models will come to you too, So, You will have to go back, over and over again on each models to make it the right way.

I mean sure, You can do plenty of models, hell I have more then a dozen started, But theses are not my first models.

Finish one, to learn the right way, then start another, So you wont make the same mistakes on each of them

b1ll

superlayer
10-05-2005, 06:11 AM
b1ll:
Could you give me an example of what tricks etc you fell on when you first started out?
Just so your otherwise logical claims are backed up?
I did try to talk to you on msn but you never answered me.

Thing is I dont see myself learning a lot of new modeling tricks unless its tied to another part of the workflow such as uvmapping etc.
I just wanted to finish modeling them and then start optimizing one of them and finish ith textures etc.
From that point shouldnt I be able to make changes to the others if needed?

Anyways since I amm gonna make the hipoly first for this one it will have nothing to do with lowpoly yet so it doesnt apply.
I like to do more things at the same time so I never stand still or waste time.

Ingurum
10-05-2005, 07:36 AM
dont get me wrong but i dont think it is necessary to "prove" that. Just do it your own way, but its great to have finished a complete model. And with "tricks" i also understand only the order you move verts or wahtever. true on multiple models you may learn different ways of modelling if the models have its own shapes and stuff.

your have really cool models with alot of potential and i think ppl just want to see them finished, not vanished into .. space. But other than that you are free to model your own way and if you can save time with it thats great too.

im sorry if i got the previous posts wrong in any way, i'm trying to improve my english still.

superlayer
10-05-2005, 08:11 AM
Ingurum:
Hey man no problem dont sweat it ;)
I just want to utilize the limited time I have until my soft deadline to get as much work done.
I see your point though and I will try to finish modeling helios today and hopefully get him unwrapped. The work I am doing on this new model is just when I get stuck and need a breather. My first priority is to finish the ones I started already. It will give me more satisfaction to see a finished piece of work and boost morale (moral?) too.

I didnt get so much work done in the last day but I am back to strength. I had a small cold.

AndyH
10-05-2005, 08:13 AM
Best of luck - that guy is actually on my wallpaper at work! Hyung tae kim is the most kickass artist since um..... tony hart!
Not really sure he would benefit from normal mapping though - he has quite a simplistic, minimal and elegant design.

superlayer
10-05-2005, 09:41 AM
He is all about volume and curves and I believe those are best archived with a normal map but we will see ;).
A lot of the volume will benefit from it as well and the small details everywhere. I have some closeups and he has lots of detail such as folds in the cloth and jewelry and the sword itself has lots of detail that would go missing in action with a normal color map.
At least I have to try.

CG-Gordon
10-05-2005, 11:13 AM
Ha ha Hyung tae kim doesnt come close to good ol Tony Hart! What a legend. :arteest:

Headless
10-05-2005, 11:54 AM
Yay, Tony Hart (http://www.fluxmunki.com/immortals/tonyhart/i/tonyhartcard.jpg)! :buttrock:

Ahem, back on topic: I love the character concept, so he should make for a nice model, but I have to agree with what other people have said in terms of you finishing one character before you move on to the next. I appreciate what you're saying about if you get stuck with one character you have another one to carry on with, but getting stuck and finding out the solution to that problem is probably the best way to learn 3D. If you just move to another character then that problem will stay unsolved and you'll eventially run into it again somewhere down the line.

superlayer
10-05-2005, 01:22 PM
I better do what I am told then he he ;).

I will try to finish the helios tonight.

CGTalk Moderation
10-05-2005, 01:22 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.