PDA

View Full Version : Whaley fantastic

SHEPEIRO
10-04-2005, 09:55 AM
heres a little QUICK project i did on sunday,
toke 5 hours from start to rigged animated model, phew(with a little extra for rendered bits i did last night of course)
it currently stands at 550 tris, with a 512x512 normal and diffuse map, i drew it at 1o24sq but realised this was too much for the amount of polys. 256sq was not enough for the detail i had put into Zbrushed hjigh poly model.

sorry just got to pop out and manage my attachments befor i can post my pics.
EDIT- heres the pics-EDIT

SHEPEIRO
10-04-2005, 10:02 AM
oh heres two little turn around and swiming animations

SHEPEIRO
10-04-2005, 12:12 PM
oh yeah C&C please:)

the_podman
10-04-2005, 01:39 PM
Hey, that's really sweet for 5 hours of work. After 5 hours, I'd have perhaps the eyeball done only. :)
Looks pretty tight to me, maybe just clean up the texture flats a bit for presentation purposes.
How did you get the water lighting effect?

-pod

georgebrayner
10-04-2005, 01:49 PM
Man I like to much!!! I never think in make a real crature ou a realistic thing like that! I',m a cartoon artist at all! Cool! And the animation look very smooth, I don't know well the way of a whale move, but for me looks very good!

Mastahful
10-04-2005, 01:53 PM
Nice whale man, my only crit is regarding the texture layout, you could use half the space by just mapping over one half of the main body texture and similarly for the fins, its a bit of a waste having 2 identical fin textures on one sheet, just use one for both.

SHEPEIRO
10-04-2005, 02:16 PM
Podman lighting effects were done with a simple set of gradient ramps, on a poly model of the outline of the whale, extruded away from light source, then i distoreted it and added noise. the geometry of it could be used in gemes but i would have to render the texture out to an animated gif or something.

Mastaful, yeah i know what you mean, it was originally a 1024sq map and you could see alot more of the bumps and stuff on the fins and nose this is why i did it with both sides mapped seperatly. i think i will go back over it tonight and symetrise it and fiddle with the texture to make better use of it.

cheers for comments.

SHEPEIRO
10-05-2005, 10:17 AM
ok heres an update of the whale, with symmetrized uvws. I also uped the contrast a bit, think im happy with this one. going to make a baby calf whale tonight, with about 100 less polys and a 256sq map, then its a wrap

SHEPEIRO
10-06-2005, 09:45 AM
as advertised heres the calf, its only 380 tris, with a 256sq texture map, which i may want to get down to 128, what do you think,

C&C welcome,

quite enjoying aquatic life at the mo, think i might do a turtle next.

SHEPEIRO
10-06-2005, 05:20 PM
Two days, Two updates and no comments:sad:

DeathNinja
10-06-2005, 05:24 PM
I think it looks prity sweet. I have no complants at all.

the_podman
10-06-2005, 05:51 PM
Yes, I agree. It's hard to find a crit actually. I like it a lot. Really dig that water effect, still curious as to how you did that. Is it a light with a gobo? A projection? I know you used a gradient, but I'm a little unclear. Could you attach a sample max file with that light? I'm curious to check it out.

I know that in UnrealEd, they use projectors to get that effect.

-Rod

SHEPEIRO
10-07-2005, 09:07 AM
sorry Podman, befor i thought you meant the light "shards", the dappled light effects are done with a projector light, projecting the "Smoke" proceedural map(with a little play with the controls, you can acheive a nicely animated water effect.

I need to bake this into a tilable texture, so far i have managed to make a tilable still(easy) but im struggling getting a tilable loopable, animated Gif, it takes alot of work, and getting it loop without an obvious fade is a pain in the proverbial.

Thanks for the comments, i will put this in the OUT TRAY
:)

CGTalk Moderation
10-07-2005, 09:07 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.