PDA

View Full Version : GAC - F&G - Geek - Sammy

Sammy
10-04-2005, 03:41 AM
.... my first time participating in a challenge of any sort on CGTalk.

Well, first I did a Google image shakedown - lots of nerds and freaks out there, oh my!
Being a nerd myself, settled on one of my kind ... model what you know, right ? haha.

I thumbnailed from the image reference for a while -- trying to assemble characteristics that I liked ... After some serious dart throwing I settled on this one and refined his look and shape.

Got 'im blocked out today - now I'm gonna go in and really start tweaking him up - getting him ready for his unwrap. This is usually the stage where there's quite a bit of back and forth for me ... Can't settle on any accesories yet either. Hmm ...

hope you like it! Feel free to lob over any C&C - nothin' is carved outta stone, that's f'sure.

killed
10-04-2005, 03:54 AM
Edit-scratch that, misunderstood the posting guidelines.

Cool character! I'd like to see him textured.

Sammy
10-06-2005, 03:36 AM
the cool thing about this game challenge is keeping the model under a specific triangle count. It has really kept me on my toes and has forced me to re-evaluate my model again and again ... this is the most recent version. I think I'm pretty close to signing off on it.

What do you think ???

Still looking to attach the neck and arms which'll add another 50 polys or somethin' ...

I've played with the hands a bit ... reduced them into a mitten ...

The head is pretty heavy - there are probably some places I can get away with reducing ... I'll take a look at it again tomorrow with a fresh pair of eyes <yawn>

I've considered modeling the hair - but that'll eat my budget up ... think it's worth pursuing?

perhaps I can use those polys better by putting them into a prop he can hang off his formidable belt ... hmm. I'm divided. help!

I've noticed he's not dead on-model, but do you think he's more impressive than the original concept ?

onelung
10-06-2005, 05:19 PM
Hey man, off to a good start! But yea i think you need to dumb down your geometry on the head, this would give you alot more polys to givew to things such as hair, and getting that other finger back. And yea i think you should try modeling the hair out, see where it puts you, know you can get alot of geo back just from the head. Realy nice style to it, just remember to get that sillouette down first, then play with those extra polys.. see if you can't get him some accessories. Keep rockin.
-schu

Sammy
10-06-2005, 08:22 PM
But yea i think you need to dumb down your geometry on the head, this would give you alot more polys to givew to things such as hair
Thanks for the great input Onelung! I took your challenge and shaved the head down by over 150 triangles. Then I used that surplus to build in the hair. Worked out pretty well, no ?

... getting that other finger back
He got his finger back! yay!

I've accessorized him as well ... yes, a lightsabre - do I reveal my own nerdy roots by doing that ? ah well, so be it.

I'm gonna experiment and see if I can improve him even further ... hmm.
Looking at my concept drawing, I'm gonna see what he looks like if his silouette matches it perfectly ... cartoons don't always translate well, but this is a challenge, afterall - darnit, I'm gonna challenge myself! heh heh.

Lemme know your thoughts on this revision, eh? ...

onelung
10-06-2005, 09:54 PM
LOL! That hair is perfect! oh man, my lung hurts....
I think you could still loose a few here and there, like the hair (side) doesn't need to be beveled, you could do that in texture, and the geo used on the leg, inside the pants could be knocked down due to barely being able to see it. keep hackin, and you can keep giving him nicer, and more accessories. Rock on man, lookin great.
-schu

sagie
10-07-2005, 01:16 AM
Awesome! that forehead is Huuuge! Good start!

Sammy
10-07-2005, 03:08 AM
Onelung : -- shaved him down some more today. Eliminated the bevel for the hair, while adding a rat-tail -- err, I mean a padawan ponytail. I also gave him some luke skywalker utility belt thingies - perhaps instead of a skyhook it can be one of those retractable keychains that janitors wear ? I've also paired down the pants quite a bit on the sides as you suggested. He's pretty darn lean now ... I'm using undo a lot more now while I collapse edges. Thanks for all the helpful comments!

Say onelung, that's a unique handle ... It reminds me of my own lung as it collapsed a few years ago (a spontaneous pnemothorax) and put me in the hospital for 20 days ... now I have a titanium staple in my right lung -- the only thing that will be left behind when I'm cremated I'm told. Darnit, now I can never learn to scuba dive! oh the injustice!

sagie: ... you know what they say about the size of a person's forehead don't you ? big brain. ;)

Still not entirely happy with the hands - can't seem to find a finger width I like. I'm stuck between the thick fingers of a cartoon and the thin fingers of a skinny nerd. heh heh.

edit: more changes before I call it a day ...

Added knuckles to fingers.
Removed crotch bulge to refine silouette from chest to legs.
Lowered his shoulders.
Thinned out his upper arm
Inverted jaw curve towards curve of neck to improve side silouette.
more misc optimizations ...

I'm at 4000 tri's on the nose!! what a rush. If anyone can find a tri that ain't servin' a purpose, lemme know! I'd love to be able to add another prop. haha. It's fun to obsess ain't it ?

Ivars
10-07-2005, 06:33 AM
That is "greatness on a stick"!
My only problem would be with the heals of his shoes... looks a bit strange with the sole sticking out like that. But it's no big deal :)

Keep going.

HellBoy
10-09-2005, 03:04 PM
wow, is that something or what?you guys know how to model, good model mate

rasmusW
10-09-2005, 05:40 PM
looking good sammy!

nice clean topology and all...

looking forward to some texturing wips:)

Melissa
10-15-2005, 04:39 PM
Wow this is really great modelling. His hands and his comb-over are my favorite bits.

CGTalk Moderation
10-15-2005, 04:39 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.