PDA

View Full Version : Looking for Maya file thumbnail preview.

Seraphoen
10-04-2005, 12:22 AM
Hey everyone, having used both Maya and 3ds Max, I found Max's preview thumbnails for files are a must, especially when dealing with a large number of files. So I was wondering if anyone knows of a good script that could embed a small screenshot taken from the active camera in the .mb file itself upon saving. So that the image can be viewed thru windows explorer or maya before opening.

Thank you for any help you can give.

jtilden20
10-04-2005, 06:58 AM
Hmm thats a tricky one...

What we've done on past projects for asset browsing was to generate a small render on export that would be cached as a thumbnail for use in our level editor's asset browser. For this go-round we're rendering thumbnails of each asset on the fly in real-time. While this is certainly easy to do for a custom application, I don't believe that there is any good way to do this with Windows Explorer and Maya Binaries. I think its pretty safe to say that the Maya binaries don't support embedded thumbs like Max does. I can only speculate, but perhaps this could be because Max is Windows only (which makes it easier to support all kinds of windows-isms) and Maya is more of a cross-platform application. Hope this helps a bit!

Seraphoen
10-04-2005, 04:02 PM
yes thanks jtilden20 (member.php?u=174329) I figured their was a reason, sure wish Alias would add this though. I've found programs that can associate a thumbnail with a file within maya but thats still a hinderance when you have to check that file in and the most recent thumbnail into a work tree. So that another artist can view said thumbnail as well. I'll keep searching though thanks.

safakoner
10-04-2005, 05:35 PM
hello

I wrote a mel for this purpose.
Click here (http://www.safakoner.com/07_mel/01_mel.htm) and scroll down to "Project Manager"

here the UI

http://www.safakoner.com/07_mel/12_pm_b.gif

Seraphoen
10-04-2005, 08:18 PM
Awsome, yeah I found that script you wrote in my search, very cool thing by the way, but unfortunately we have a weird tree so the script points to where it should, but we don't store our files there, we have a community maya folder to share and update scripts etc. But we also use maya 6.5, so that may be the problem too, I wasn't able to figure out the problem. If I can I will defiantely be using this. Thanks again!

supersteve3d
11-23-2005, 04:42 AM
hello

I wrote a mel for this purpose.
Click here (http://www.safakoner.com/07_mel/01_mel.htm) and scroll down to "Project Manager"

here the UI

Safakoner,

This looks fantastic. I am having trouble getting the thumbnails for scenes to work. I also changed the 6.0 references in the soPm.mel to 7.0 manually due to some error finding the .bmp file.

Any advice? It appears that your script automatically saves the thumbnail with the scene CTRL+S.. but it does not appear to work for me.

Thanks,

safakoner
11-23-2005, 08:15 AM
hello

Thank you for using ProjectManager.

This script save your scene capture without extension. If you change the save process, you must edit read process. Because, read process look at the file which one is without extension in thumbnail folder and show it as thumbnail. You can see that between lines 349 and 357.

Why do yu need to write .bmp ?

supersteve3d
11-23-2005, 10:24 AM
safakoner,

I copied the orignal soPm.mel file back over my edited one. Everything works which as I see is a replica of the functionality already present in maya.

What I cannot get to work.. is the thumbnail feature for scenes. The previews work fine for rendered images.

How do I get thumbnails to work with saved scene (.mb) files? Is it automatic? It doesn't work here.

Anyone else tried it and have thumbnails for _scenes_ working.

safakoner
11-23-2005, 03:27 PM
hello
interesting, it must work with booth .ma and .mb.

We are using 6.1 version of maya and we have'nt any problem with this.

is an error displayed ?

supersteve3d
12-13-2005, 05:34 PM
safakoner,

I have not managed to get this working yet. Has anyone had problems?

Is it possible to contact you off the forum.. through some instant messaging (MSN etc.) perhaps?

Thanks.

CGTalk Moderation
12-13-2005, 05:34 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.