PDA

View Full Version : mental ray ambient occlusion pass

EverZen
10-03-2005, 11:45 PM
Hi guys,

I have not scripted a lot of rendering stuff, I am trying to set up mental ray in Max 7.0, I can script all the settings I want for the FG and GI etc, but I really want to render out an ambient occlusion pass. The easiest way I can find is to use the material override option in Mental Ray, and fire out a pass with everything covered with an ambient occlusion shader.

Is this override option scriptable, the mental ray section of the max 7 help really confuses me. Ideally I am looking for a main pass, then a shadow pass and an ambient occlusion pass, can this be done by scripting the render elements section. I guess it could be done by autmatically creating folders then getting the to render 3 times, each time for a new pass, into a new folder.

Is there an easy way to tackle this..... would really appreciate any help, I am properly stuck

Thanks all,

Everzen

EverZen
10-03-2005, 11:53 PM
Could this be easier using render presets, and loading them in one after the other to render the different passes?? Would that be the easiest way?

:)

Blue
10-04-2005, 12:25 AM
There doesn't seem to be a way to connect via script to the Material Override, but as EverZan pointed out, a render preset would be fairly easy and it's script accessable. look up "Interface: renderpresets" in the script help docs.

CGTalk Moderation
10-04-2005, 12:25 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.