PDA

View Full Version : Please help with this contact shadow

novon
11-11-2002, 04:54 PM
I'm new to lighting, and I am completing this orange lighting practice project. I've tried everything to get that subtle contact shadow in the pic below, anyone have an idea of which light, settings, and position to use? (using maya) notice how there is a little it of orange in it too.

http://www.cs.washington.edu/education/courses/cse458/CurrentQtr/projects/project3/orange.jpg

Also, for the main key that casts the shadow, how far away from the orange should that be?

Thanks

-novon

Ian Jones
11-12-2002, 12:10 AM
Looks like you need Radiosity... which will colour your shadow by colour radiation that gets bounced off the orange and affects some of the surfaces around it. Every object in real life interacts with its environemt in some way, like if you were in a room with orange curtains on a birght sunny day, your room is likely to be lit orange. I'm pretty sure thats what Radiosity is. I know nothing about Maya though.

Also try checking your light source parameters, you amy be able to change the colour of the shadow that is cast by the light. It's a kind of hack way to do it but maybe that's how it was done in this reference pic.

Stahlberg
11-12-2002, 01:44 AM
You can't do this image with a simple setup and no faking in Maya, there just isn't any radiosity or Global Illumination in their native renderer.
One workaround would be to use many blurry and low-intensity spotlights (like in GI_Joe, see below), or you could put a transparent square on the floor under the orange and place a darker area exactly where you want it, don't laugh I used to fake radiosity this way many years ago, and it still works, if it isn't animated too much...

You could use Mental Ray, which is free now with v4.5
Or you could use Emmanuel Campin's free GI_Joe script, available on Highend3d.com or his own site pixho.com

CGTalk Moderation
01-13-2006, 10:00 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.