PDA

View Full Version : Corel Painter Essentials 3 Released!

pixlart
10-03-2005, 03:59 PM
Hi All:

I have some great Painter news to pass along to you. Corel has just released Corel® Painter™ Essentials 3, a digital art application that borrows from the best of it's professional Natural-Media® sibling, Corel® Painter™ IX, and streamlines its workflow for folks just getting their bearings in the world of digitally-created art. With a new easy-to-learn interface, dynamic painting palettes that automatically paint your photos for you, and extensive training resources, Corel Painter Essentials 3 empowers users to turn their mouse or tablet stylus into a digital paintbrush and begin a new journey of creative possibilities.

Photograph-to-Painting Workflow

Painter Essentials 3 debuts its Photo Painting Palettes, a three-step process that includes the Underpainting, Auto-Painting, and Restoration palettes.

The Underpainting Palette centralizes several tools used to prepare an image for cloning. The Style pop-up menu enables quick tonal adjustments to an image via easy-to-understand effect options. The Edge Effect pop-up menu provides user-adjustable stylistic vignette options, providing soft-edged borders to an image.

My favorite Underpainting feature is the new Smart Blur control. This slider-based adjustment reduces a photograph's complexity while maintaining its crisp edges. The application of Smart Blur alone can transform a photograph into watercolor-like simplicity.

The Auto-Painting Palette makes it extremely easy to create paintings from digital photos—even if you've never touched a paintbrush in your life. Many of the decisions made while creating artwork are what I refer to as season-to-taste decisions. The choice of stroke; its randomness, pressure, length, rotation, and size are all smartly grouped together here. As adjustments are made—and then applied to an image—the effects are immediately observed.

The Restoration Palette enables the selective re-introduction of original photographic detail into a painted clone image. This is a technique employed by traditional portrait artists; the highest degree of detail is preserved in the facial area of a portrait and the background is painted with broader strokes.

Instant Help

To aid new users, Painter Essentials provides the Quick Guide Palette. As various Essentials' workspace items are selected, the Quick Guide palette—conveniently located above the Color palette—provides a handy description of the selected area. Links to more in-depth help are additionally provided.

Availability & Pricing

All this, plus the fact that this is the fastest performing version of Painter Essentials yet. The software is now available from the Corel Painter Essentials 3 website (http://www.corel.com/pe3forum) and will be hitting store shelves later this month.

Ideal for digital camera enthusiasts, art, decor and scrapbook enthusiasts, and art students and teachers, Corel Painter Essentials 3 enables users to create beautiful, handmade digital-art keepsakes that are perfect for framing, craft projects, and special gifts to friends and family. Corel Painter Essentials will be available for the suggested retail price of $99 US.

If you are the owner of a digital camera, a craftsperson with a digital yen, or just want to get your hands virtually dirty with digital art, then you owe it to yourself to take a serious look at Corel Painter Essentials 3.

Viva la Painter...Essentials 3!

tayete
10-04-2005, 05:43 AM
Hi pixlart!
I am interested in knowing what are the main differences between PIX and essentials 3. They both seem to share the same brushes (which IMHO is the strong point of PIX), so...what has been left out from essentials?
It would be interesting too to know how resources-intensive is Essentials against PIX. I mean, I was thinking of adcquiring it for a laptop, so knowing if less RAM is required is important to me...

Thanks a lot for this info!
(for some strange reason I had missed it, as the newsletter doesn't reach my Inbox, I still don't know why :( )

pixlart
10-04-2005, 02:52 PM
I am interested in knowing what are the main differences between PIX and essentials 3. They both seem to share the same brushes (which IMHO is the strong point of PIX), so...what has been left out from essentials?
It would be interesting too to know how resources-intensive is Essentials against PIX. I mean, I was thinking of adcquiring it for a laptop, so knowing if less RAM is required is important to me...

Hi Tayete:

Corel Painter Essentials 3 is designed to be approachable by home users. There is a definite emphasis on autoclone painting. And, to prevent Essentials from competing with PIX, there is a reduced brush count. Performance is on par with PIX.

Other than basic adjustments via the Brush Property Bar, Essentials brushes are not customizable. The capability to add PIX variants to the Essentials Brush Library is limited, so you can't transfer a PIX library to Essentials and expect it to work. I don't think that an experienced Painter user will feel that the toolset of Essentials is adequate for wide-ranging tasks. As a quick sketch and concepting tool, it is probably OK as long as brush customization is not an issue.

Painter Essentials 3 is designed to simplify Painter's toolset for beginning digital artists, enabling them to accomplish appealing results with relative ease. Once they become comfortable with Essentials and begin to feel limited, PIX is the obvious solution.

When I now want to get a new digital art & photo enthusiast excited about Painter, I'll show them Essentials 3. It is not intimidating, it is easy to get good results, and it is inexpensive. Once they've gotten acclimated, I'll recommend giving the trial version of PIX a serious road test.

I hope this answers your question.

Viva la Painter!

Philippec
10-05-2005, 04:11 PM
In Painter Essentials 3's Welcome Screen, there is a new tab (when you compare to Painter IX) which is called "Painter on the net". It loads live content from the Web if you are connected to the Internet. :thumbsup: Nice! I hope this content will change with time :)

CGTalk Moderation
10-05-2005, 04:11 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.