PDA

View Full Version : autoShoulder setup

seema
10-03-2005, 08:18 AM
hi guys does anyone know a stable auto shoulder setup (ik mode) ? I have experimented n learnt a pretty good setup.....but i want to be aware of some other way od doing it as well...If anyone knows pls share!!

M.E.L.
10-03-2005, 02:42 PM
are you talking about a multi-directional shoulder setup using helper joints, muscle influences or do you mean an auto-clavicle setup?

generally with clavicles I just like to use a condition node that says if X_Shoulder.r(v) is equal to value Z { X represents the side of the character, v represents the axis in which the shoulder is being rotated and Z represents the value in which the condition node waits for before applying the effect }, begin to adjust the calvicle rotation... I'm not a fan of the ik based shoulder setup and quite a few animators I've worked with felt the same... if it's gonna be "auto" there should also be a way for the animators to blend the auto off so they can add their own animation to it.

-s

Dichotomy
10-03-2005, 07:30 PM
I'd have to agree with M.E.L. I dont put IK clavicles on my characters anymore, because the animators want to be able to control them, so I end up breaking it apart anyway. Jason Shleifer (spelling?) does a good Fk/Ik setup clavicle on his DVD, you might check that out.

seema
10-04-2005, 01:06 AM
oh s i chkd it out ealier..thats the method m using now...but i dont quite understand y he dupliactes the arm joint tho....n how do u say its Fk/Ik...coz it seems like its only Ik but with a way to turn the auto off right?? correct me if m wrong n if u kno y he duplicates the arm joint do lemme kno..i did the setup without quite understanding it very well....BAd....

thanks in advance

Dichotomy
10-04-2005, 11:31 PM
if I remember it correctly, one arm is the "skinning" arm, where the weights go, the other is the one that has the connections... its been awhile since I saw it... someone correct me if I'm wrong. It is Fk/Ik because you can switch from Ik (automated) to Fk (animatorControlled). The arms themselves are only Ik. That is one reason I don't use that method, I had a helluva time making it work with my Fk/Ik arms... got crazy... and like I said, my animators don't like automated shoulders anyway.

CGTalk Moderation
10-04-2005, 11:31 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.