PDA

View Full Version : Render Depth Map? DOF Pro users?

operaguy
10-03-2005, 08:04 AM
I've been looking at the plug-in Depth of Field Generator Pro,
http://www.richardrosenman.com/dofpro.htm
which batch processes frames to add DOF blur, saving render time on the raw frame. The author says:

"Most 3D Computer Graphics applications are easily capable of producing depth maps along with the rendered image."

1) Does anyone know if Messiah Workshop can produce the depth map?
2) Has anyone worked with this plug-in, and what is your experience with it.

Thanks,
::::: Opera :::::

AAAron
10-03-2005, 09:03 AM
A new update to it, itīs a must buy now I guess!

Anyway, you can forget the whole thing until pmG fixes the currently broken depth output. :cry:

AAAron
10-05-2005, 11:46 PM
just looked at the new video samples it looks so cool. :thumbsup:

Wegg
10-06-2005, 05:25 PM
Yea that tool does look really useful. Man that guy does some good work. His V-Ray stuff is so . . . inspiring. I want Messiah's renderer to kick ass like that. . . only. . . without the 2+ hours per frame render times. :eek:

Wegg
10-06-2005, 05:28 PM
You know. . . if you were to add a black fog to your scene. . . and turn all your objects white with high ambience. . . you could "fake" a good depth buffer without too much hassle while we wait for a fix. I don't think this should be a show stopper for anyone wanting to get into the renderer. COME ON GUYS! THE MORE THE MERRIER!

AAAron
10-06-2005, 08:03 PM
thats a great idea, goning to test it as soon as I get home :bounce:

been at work for two days and one night, this paint/roto jobs drains my energy

JoeCosman
10-07-2005, 05:57 PM
you can also use a procedural in your shader network to get that 'physical' presence of where your depth plane is(not to mention create some funky effects with DOF afterwards)

procedurals are accessible in the tools subtab in setup.
set the procedural type to plane
set the type to infinite
set the strength to 1
set the falloff to 0
set the decay to .05

use weightspot hooked up to a color and set ambient to 100 on your "z-buffer" material
(click the plus button next to color to add the weightspot shader)

create a rendergroup by right clicking on the surfaces tab in RENDER to access the contextual menu.

parent everything you want rendered onto that render group

-JoeC
add the material to the rendergroup and everything will shade with it.

AAAron
10-07-2005, 06:06 PM
Now I got someting fun for the weekend to do, thanks Joe:thumbsup:

CGTalk Moderation
10-07-2005, 06:07 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.