PDA

View Full Version : Magnacarta - Joker - game character

superlayer
10-03-2005, 05:27 AM
Here is another Magna Carta character I started. I just spend a few minutes making the weapon poly by poly, starting with a plane and edge extruding out the basic shape. Its very fast and efficient.
I might be going for a different poly budget for this one since I dont wanna do the same poly count for all my characters. The ideas is to show different skills for different budgets but I might as well make all of them below 3500 tris and probs below 500 tris.

Here is the concept:
http://i15.photobucket.com/albums/a384/superlayer/joker_concept.jpg

And the progress so far:
http://i15.photobucket.com/albums/a384/superlayer/joker_01.jpg

superlayer
10-03-2005, 06:29 AM
Weapon is finished now onto the character irself:
http://i15.photobucket.com/albums/a384/superlayer/joker_02.jpg

AndyH
10-03-2005, 06:37 AM
Nice to see you making another one of hyung tae kims designs - theyre excellent!
Looking forward to seeing how this one turns out...

superlayer
10-03-2005, 07:11 AM
I am starting out slow with the "lesser characters", if you can call any of his work lesser. No they are all great but I have my favourites and I will get onto those when I feel more comfortable with my workflow etc.
So my first two chars are more like tests and practise.
I am going to make at least one normal mappec char and thats really what all this will lead up to.

superlayer
10-03-2005, 09:43 AM
Working on legs (total of 888 tris including weapon):
http://i15.photobucket.com/albums/a384/superlayer/joker_03.jpg

superlayer
10-03-2005, 10:16 AM
Here is a minor update:
http://i15.photobucket.com/albums/a384/superlayer/joker_04.jpg

jfalconer
10-03-2005, 12:04 PM
it'll be interesting to see this one turn out, looks like a great start... keep em coming

superlayer
10-03-2005, 01:15 PM
Phew another update:
http://i15.photobucket.com/albums/a384/superlayer/joker_05.jpg

AndyH
10-03-2005, 01:17 PM
Looking good - youve got a really nice flow going on his legs

Ill save that into my reference folder! I always tend to make very tube-like geometry on arms and legs - this is spot on though.

Keep it up

superlayer
10-03-2005, 01:21 PM
Yeah I was wondering if its a guy or a girl but looking closer I would say its a girl.
Looking at the breast area and hip etc.
Tells me its a skinny girl. I am gonna make her a bit different though at least for now Ii can easily change her into more skinny if I feel thats better.

Anyways I hope I am right about this being a girl and not a guy.
I am seriously in doubt. I changed it into a more feminine look because of this. So if its not I would revert it back.

Jerkazoid
10-03-2005, 03:09 PM
Yeah I was wondering if its a guy or a girl but looking closer I would say its a girl.
Looking at the breast area and hip etc.

androgynous yes indeeed but defienetly a girl imo with that getup + breasts. very oval face, pointy chin, earings. female for sure imo

the problem with guessing the gender is how creepy the face is
(im sure thats all intended style) but she has NO eyebrow, a VERY HIGH hair line (balding?) and poor lip definition (id add blue lipstick :) )...those three asthetic choices made for a very "ugly" women [i actually took a screen grab and realy fast sketched changes the way i like it, and just adding a slim eyeborw, lowering her hair line, and the lipstick makes a HUGE difference in gender association, no?]

anyway regardles im sure its all for the sake of style.

so far, great work, im sure this one will come out killer as well!

superlayer
10-03-2005, 03:15 PM
Yeah it is creepy and the high hairline does point in the way of a male.
Anyways I am gonna lower it a bit and make her a little more attractive.
It is not that I dont want to stay true to his concept but I think it will give her more appeal.

ace4016
10-03-2005, 08:04 PM
hehe, it's common to have an androgynous characters in anime that the creator usually leaves up to you to figure which gender it is. A lot of Asian myths have androgynous themes to, so maybe that plays a role in current day anime. Nice work so far, and nice poly flow:thumbsup: . hehe, I know you have UVW unwrapping, but you'll have to get it real good with the checkered pant pattern on the pants:argh: . Good luck with that.

superlayer
10-04-2005, 02:17 AM
If you have any suggestions about the pattens let me know.
I thought I would just import the model into zbrush and draw the patterns by hand so I can later finish it in photoshop.
But if anyone has a better idea let me know.

AndyH
10-04-2005, 06:35 AM
UVing should be pretty simple. It would help if you had a more cylindrical mesh structure so you could straighten the uvs into a grid pattern, but then your geometry would suffer. I would say the best thing is to cylindrical map the legs and the manually tweak the UVs to straighten out the checker pattern. Use XSI's handy 'noicon.pic' texture as a reference map. I use max, but i kept that texture because its really good as a uv tester.

I think hes a bloke by the way - those hands and his face give it away. In that respect, he looks a bit of a girly bloke, but i think thats just an aspect of asian character design sometimes.

superlayer
10-04-2005, 08:03 AM
So far I have more votes on "him" being a girl and thats the path I am taking.
Waist, face, earrings, breasts etc give it away. If not I am screwed.
If you dont mind could you be more specific about the XSI thing? is it like a checker ref?

here is a new update:
http://i15.photobucket.com/albums/a384/superlayer/joker_06.jpg

LordDubu
10-04-2005, 03:12 PM
Nice. Your workflow is interesting, thanks for sharing.

superlayer
10-04-2005, 03:26 PM
Lord Dubu:
I tried to check out your work but its blocked I guess since I am in shenzhen at the moment.
Thanks for stopping by though :)

AdamAtomic
10-04-2005, 04:33 PM
I gotta go with guy too; Joker's at least twice as manly as most of the Castlevania heroes :D progress is looking nice regardless.

the_podman
10-04-2005, 09:23 PM
I'm a vote for "guy" too. Nothin' wrong with the "soft" male look. ;)

It's looking great! Also nice to see the way you work. It's very interesting and inspiring.
I'm looking at lots of threads with Magnacarta art being made into 3d. It makes for great modeling and texturing practice. There are so many interesting contours and shapes to his illustrations.

Nice job.

-Rod

superlayer
10-05-2005, 02:42 AM
Thanks a lot for ur comments ppl but I am sticking to girl after cross examing with other characters I feel this must be a girl. The breasts are the biggest give away unless its a guy who had surgery.
Thanks though.

rblitz7
10-20-2005, 01:17 AM
Nice job! its coming along.:)

WesleyTack
10-20-2005, 03:06 AM
very nice clean mesh, this is looking really nice! can't wait for the next update

adam-crockett
10-20-2005, 05:59 PM
Looking at the characters hands and feet, Im going to say "male". Also, I dont see any breasts. Effeminate male, to be sure, but male.

This is also a fun game to play on Broadway here in Seattle, by the way. (Is that a tranny? She's workin' those heels! )

Nice work on your model so far.

Augh
10-20-2005, 06:29 PM
Dude I hate to be the bearer of bad news, but I just typed "magna carta joker" into google and this came straight up;

http://pc.magnacarta.co.kr/en/character/joker.php

He, who is oddly dressed like his nickname, was famous to everybody as the leader of Scaramouch. Known that he comes from the slums, he was badly antipathetic toward the nobles. People say that he came to Schwarz under a certain secret contract by taking advantage of his weak points..

T_T

Given that he has the girlyman look pretty strong, I doubt you'd have to rearrange all that much, edge here, edge there etc.

Do keep at it man, you're nailing the low poly thing pretty damn fast imo.
Cheers! :thumbsup:

superlayer
10-20-2005, 08:28 PM
Argh lol so it is a he... Well I will look into it asap. Thanks for the comments.

jfalconer
01-03-2006, 01:53 PM
How's this one coming along? Haven't seen any updates on the others. As far as comments not relating to his gender, I would say you could save some polys on his tailcoat thingy. Just put an alpha map on it to give the appearance of jagged lines. Then you can have just a planar strip instead. and ... Updates? :curious:

CGTalk Moderation
01-03-2006, 01:53 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.