PDA

View Full Version : error in model! HELP!

Ayreon
11-11-2002, 11:28 AM
This is my latest model I'm workng on. When I made a test render, i noticed this crease running down his nose. I've checked the model about ten times, making sure no 2 point poly's where causing the problem. There are no unwelded point in his nose, I just can't find the error. I've made a screengrab of modeler, and as you can see, in the opengl display, everything looks fine, but when I render I get these faults. Anbody got an idea on why this is happening? Thanks in advance for any help you can give me.

Ayreon

MK2
11-11-2002, 11:42 AM
Do you use a Specularity Map for the Face?
If yes how did you mapped it? Autosized? UVs?

Ayreon
11-11-2002, 11:52 AM
i use specular map mapped with UV's. But I've tried removing all the maps, but I still have the same errors :(

Ayreon

yon dabuda
11-11-2002, 12:23 PM
wild guess, but the mark resembles your reflection map.
great job though :)

Ayreon
11-11-2002, 12:40 PM
It's not the reflection map, I don't know what it is. I just now remirrored the object, by deleting one side. Selecting all the points along x-axis 0. ctrl+V, then put them all on x-axis 0. Shift-v for mirror. And voila, a terrible creas!! It's driving me crazy, looks like modeler doesn't weld the points. When I select merge, and chose automatic, nothing happens, but when I chose fixed, with one mm, everything turns out oke. That's strange, because all the points are on x-axis 0, so automatic merge should function. Ohh well, I'll just continue modeling and see what happens.
Thanks for the hints and tips!

Ayreon

ClingFree
11-11-2002, 01:16 PM
Did you try setting the value (Cntrl + v) for all the points along the mirror to x = zero?

Ayreon
11-11-2002, 01:28 PM
Yes, I did, but somehow Lightwave doesn't weld the points after mirror. Even when I chose merge, with automatic setting, the points don't merge, but they are all on 0 on the x-axis. :hmm:

Ayreon

Remi
11-11-2002, 03:35 PM
Weld them. That's all I can think of. :shrug:

Carm3D
11-11-2002, 07:28 PM
I had a similar problem, but the points that don't merge were in other places, not on 0. Even when I manually welded them they still rendered with a seam. I tried everything I could think of to get rid of the seams.

The only thing that worked was picking all polygons that are touching these points and cutting them.. Put them on a background layer.

Then go in another background layer with the bad polys in the BG and re-model them from scratch. Do it loosely then use BG_Conform and it will synch up your points to the original point's positions.

If these polys belonged to any UV maps you'll have to unweld and manually place them into the UV textures (using the bad points in the background layer as a reference).

Only when I did all this tedious repair work, bringing the new polys into the main model and deleting the corrupted polys did the seam go away. I think it could be a Lightwave modeler bug.. Some points just "go bad," refusing to merge and they need to be excized.

whattawa
11-11-2002, 07:56 PM
I am going out on a limb here, but I bet you have morph targets on your character. If so, that is why it doesn't merge all the points on mirror. LW looks at all the endomorphs as well as the base when you tell it to merge points. If somehow any of the points are off in one of the endomorphs, it won't merge. you will then have to go in by hand. The easiest thing to do is go down the middle line and weld the points. It takes a little bit of time, but is well worth it.

whattawa
11-11-2002, 07:59 PM
Originally posted by Carm3D
Only when I did all this tedious repair work, bringing the new polys into the main model and deleting the corrupted polys did the seam go away. I think it could be a Lightwave modeler bug.. Some points just "go bad," refusing to merge and they need to be excized.

Oh yes, I have had that problem as well. I never noticed it before LW 7.5 so I think it is a new bug. One way to fix it is to select the offending poly and unweld it. You will then need to select each corner in succession and weld them back. When you do that you will most likely find a corner that has 5 points instead of the typical 4 points (assuming you model with quads). Anyway, somehow there gets to be an extra point that doesn't show up unless you unweld. But I have also had a couple times where that didn't work and I had to delete the poly and make a new one.

CGTalk Moderation
01-13-2006, 10:00 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.