PDA

View Full Version : Magnacarta - Helios - game character

superlayer
10-02-2005, 02:45 AM
This one is based on the famous magna carta concepts you probably all know.
It isnt 100% true to the concepts since I have decidet to change some minor details such as facial details.

This is actually my first lowpoly character but I am already into hipoly modeling and I have done one or two game assets before just not characters.

I started I think 3 days ago and I plan to finish modeling today and get started on unwrapping and texturing. Big thanks to Hanzo, who also roams cgtalk, for insight, tips and tricks.

It is currently around 2300 tris and the target is around 3500 tris everything included and 1024x 1024 color (diffuse) map.

The concept:
http://i15.photobucket.com/albums/a384/superlayer/helios_concept.jpg

here is my first wip without arms and unfinished upper chest and hair:
http://i15.photobucket.com/albums/a384/superlayer/helios_04.jpg

ace4016
10-02-2005, 03:44 AM
Impressive. Can't wait for the complete model to be done. I'm subscribed.

superlayer
10-02-2005, 02:27 PM
A little progress. Changed legs, front cloth, hair, made socks shorter etc. Most changes are hard to spot:
http://i15.photobucket.com/albums/a384/superlayer/helios_06.jpg

Psyk0
10-02-2005, 03:31 PM
Not familiar with this character, but i like what you have done so far, keep it up! :thumbsup:

Teyon
10-02-2005, 04:26 PM
Coming along well, Magna Carta should be out in the states some time this year if it isn't already.

superlayer
10-03-2005, 02:53 AM
I talked to someone who played it but I am not sure.
I might do a load of these characters.

Stay tuned.

AndyH
10-03-2005, 06:34 AM
Excellent choice of characters - hyung tae kim's art for the magnacarta games is absoloutley stunning. The deigns and colours are some of my faves. I was gonna make a few characters into 3d a while back, but since i do few things i designed myself, i gave it a miss.

Its looking good so far. Its the texture work thats gonna sell this really! Best of luck

superlayer
10-03-2005, 07:08 AM
Thanks Andy and everyone for the attention.
I love these concepts and I am greatly inspired by them and I hope I can do them just a little justice with my characters.

I will do 2 or 3 and 2 of them are aleady cooking.

LordDubu
10-04-2005, 03:11 PM
Sweet! Glad I stumbled onto one of your other threads and they lead me here. Nice work.

~SammaeL~
10-04-2005, 06:09 PM
fantastic work. the model is very clean , i hope see end.

See you :thumbsup:

superlayer
10-05-2005, 07:14 AM
Thanks ppl I am gonna go back and get this one finished later today.

hanzo
10-05-2005, 10:18 AM
hehe that's right! I teach ya everything you know :applause:

but man you surprise me, OO your taking game modeling "in" very fast.. And for your first character "game" model pure excellent's man, keep'um chun'n out that way. Wicked that your doing lots of projects at once, you most have got some hellish inspiration, and it should give you lots of practice, as for me I have had no self time lately. I'm to busy trying to get jobs here and there all done to keep the clients happy, darn pain in the necks I say. [Back on topic] it's always better to start out as a modeling craftsmen in a highend standard, you'll always be able to learn game modeling faster and better that way :D

I'll peek in as often as possible

-hanzo

superlayer
10-07-2005, 09:35 AM
Pretty much finished modeling:
http://i15.photobucket.com/albums/a384/superlayer/helios_07.jpg

-KDX-
10-07-2005, 03:13 PM
are these characters you are just modeling because you are a fan of the concepts and this upcoming game?? Or is there a bigger project involved in this??

just curious because it seems like your modeling skill and efficiency is very good, almost at a professional level. I am impressed and I gotta admit you picked some of the nicest character designs I've seen yet (magna carta looks like it will be GREAT)

-KDX-

superlayer
10-07-2005, 04:23 PM
Wow thats nice of you to say.
But this is my first lowpoly character so just practise really.
I hope I can reach a more pro level on the next ones ;)

Woyman
10-07-2005, 04:49 PM
Great work! I'll forward these to HyungTae (my cousin) and let you guys know what he says! :)

superlayer
10-08-2005, 03:03 AM
That would be great. Hope the quality is ok.
I wonder about Calinz sword actually since you only see it from the side.
It has some strange decorations on the handle near the blade and I wonder what purpose it has if any and how its attached to the blade.
Maybe you could ask him ;)

Teyon
10-08-2005, 04:00 AM
I think you may be able to find some pics of the sword in use on the net. I saw a site that had a bunch of images but for the life of me I can't remember which one it was. I have a magazine here with some images both conceptual and in-game. I'll see if there's some shots there.

superlayer
10-08-2005, 04:36 AM
I have 3 pics but they all show the same.
Sounds promising about the magazine.
I do lack refs for the backs of many of the characters.
I have to guess a great deal of it.

Teyon
10-08-2005, 05:48 AM
Some images I found from the mag (Play volume4 issue 9) and from the net. There was also a fan site with his concept and sketch art from various games (including Magna Carta) that I am searching for. I'll let you know if and when I find it.
http://teyon.site22.hosting.renderosity.com/images/mc_calintz.jpg

Teyon
10-08-2005, 05:55 AM
Found it. :)

http://hyung-taekim.org/index.php

superlayer
10-08-2005, 07:01 AM
That was a useful link.
Btw.
There seem to be two versions of Calinz and I am currently making the other one.
I am making a hipoly version for a normal map and his sword is giving me trouble.
Anyways great stuff it would be nice to see more from the game itself.

superlayer
10-12-2005, 11:50 AM
Now I am done I didnt like the hands so I redid them:
http://i15.photobucket.com/albums/a384/superlayer/helios_08.jpg

johnwoo
10-13-2005, 09:12 AM
Sweet!!....solid mesh...this guy should deform nicely:thumbsup: ...question is tho'...is this character gonna be the 1st to get textures applied?...keep up the progress man..

superlayer
10-13-2005, 12:29 PM
johnwoo: I am a great fan of your work. If you want to share some tips regarding texturing etc I would be happy. Its all very new to me I normally do hipoly work.
I will try to get started on texturing tomorrow so I can finish this one before monday.

Woyman
10-13-2005, 04:11 PM
Wow it's coming along very nicely!

So I e-mailed Hyungtae and he says that he's too busy. Hehehe. He recently got a girlfriend so he's not only working over-time, but he's doing double duty to keep her happy. :P He said that he would take a look at it over the weekend tho. :)

I can't wait for you to start to texture it as well. I've also started my first low poly model for the GAC - Freaks & Geeks. :)

b1ll
10-13-2005, 04:31 PM
The biggest problem in the model is thats its very stiff, boring,

U dont develop the form and shape enough, If it stays like that, u could get rid of Around half of the polygons, There sit there doing nothing, U have to push the form more, The concept is so nice, It as dynamics, The style is soo present, Even if its only an untexture model, you can and must make the model seem Interesting, Now its just extrude,
Thoses polys are screaminggg for Form GIVE THEM FORM!

Lekku
10-13-2005, 10:09 PM
It looks good, but the neck seems thicker in the drawing, and the jaw seems longer. I'd take a look at those areas.

superlayer
10-14-2005, 02:21 AM
I decidet to base it more losely on the concept which is also the deal with another one I am making.
This being my first model to me its just practise.
if I spend too much time making it perfect I lose my flow.

b1ll:
You are right and I kinda hoped that I would get the look after texturing and positioning.
I have been modestly conservative on the form and thus losing the style.
I just have to make this first one a try out trial run to see how much polys do and how much texture does to get the end result I want.

I hope it will still retain some of it qualities but a first try is always a first try.

Also could you elaborate on your "GIVE THEM FORM remark"?. An example would do. And also where would I be able ro remove a lot of edges?

It would be a lot more constructive if you could point it out.

b1ll
10-14-2005, 01:29 PM
ok i had 2 min before starting to paint. Youll have to zoom in the pic to see what i wrote tho..

http://www.planetquake.com/polycount/cottages/b1ll/fix_hel.jpg

The thing is, Segment, polys , vertex, that doesnt Give form, definition , shape or is used to have correct deformation is useless.

Example, Ur torso, U have many segment that are staying there, U either give them form, or trash them IMO..

anyway, Theres other stuff I'd change but, I didnt have much time. So Cya

b1ll

superlayer
10-15-2005, 02:17 AM
Ok,
The "wierd" cloth piece is not wierd its just another layer beneath the top one.

The edges deviding some of the hair pieces are meant to give it form and make it less flat. It will look better after texturing.

I aqgree I could improve the form on the pants

I could lose an edge on the sword.

I wanted to show alpha and non alpha skills on the same model. This is not an error. Alpha is used for hair and modeling for cloth The difference in polycount would be minimal anyways since I would want it to deform well and the geometry on the cloth should deform pretty well.

If you saw the chest from a different ange you would see that it curves and does give shape to it unless you mean something different when you say shape. Its curved quite a lot.

I am beginning to understand your arguments about form and I will bend my mind on it from now on. Its funny since I did learn this in designschool butsomehow I let this go when I started doing gameart. I think it doesnt look as dynamic as the concept. I wil try to improve it.

superlayer
10-15-2005, 06:01 AM
Hey Hanzo read your email god dmnit lol.
I am outta town but will be back today or tomorrow.

superlayer
10-16-2005, 01:11 PM
I am about to start unwrapping the model but I wold be happy if someone would write down the best approach in this example.
Tips and tricks too.

Also can I have seperate objects using the same unwrap or same map? is it normal to do that or should I make all objects incl. the swords ONE mesh?

How would you go about the hair? Overlap all the hair planes on the same colormap segment for hair (maybe have 4 uniques and reuse these for all the hair plane pieces).

I would like some advice and comments in relation to this model and or some nice tutorials.

Thanks.

blz
10-16-2005, 01:36 PM
well, this one is shaping up
keep going :)

CGTalk Moderation
10-16-2005, 01:36 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.