PDA

View Full Version : why does digital watercolor dry itself when I save?

CIRE
10-02-2005, 03:41 AM
OK...I painted only on the canvas layer with the new simple water brush. Ive noticed that when I save, close the file, then re-open it later to work on it that the watercolor is dry and it no longer blends with the paint I put down. Please help!!

mhovland
10-02-2005, 01:18 PM
Use a digital watercolor layer. I think thtat will solve your problem.

Jinbrown
10-02-2005, 04:10 PM
Eric and mhovland,

Unfortunately, that's a problem with Painter 8 Digital Watercolor, that's been solved in Painter IX.

In Painter 8, it doesn't matter if you paint on the Canvas or on a Layer using Digital Watercolor variants. When the file is saved, closed, and reopened, any previously wet Digital Watercolor paint is dried.

(mhovland: There is no "Digital Watercolor Layer", only Default Layers that can be painted with Digital Watercolor variants. Watercolor, on the other hand, is painted only on Watercolor Layers.)

The best solution to the dried Digital Watercolor problem is to upgrade to Painter IX and, at least today and for whatever time Corel decides to continue the sale, Painter IX Upgrades are at an extremely good price:

Download version - $139 U.S.

Boxed version - $149 U.S.

For the extra $10, I'd buy the boxed version as it comes with the Painter IX Handbook, full of Painter Masters' art and techniques/tutorials. The User Guide can be purchased separately if you really want it, but within Painter IX, we can access Help > Help Topics which is the HTML version of the User Guide, complete with Contents tab, Index tab, Search tab, and Favorites tab where you can bookmark pages you'll want to return to later.

Take a look at this page:

Painter IX - ON SALE! (http://store.corel.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/ProductDisplay?storeId=10001&currency=USD&jspStoreDir=CorelUS&partNumber=OL_PF09&catalogId=10103&ddkey=SetCurrencyPreference)

In the meantime, you can use dry brush variants to blend dried Digital Watercolor paint, and to add new color to existing dried Digital Watercolor paint. It's not the ideal solution to be sure, but can help if you plan well.

CIRE
10-03-2005, 12:42 AM
I am encountering this problem in Painter IX...Is there a setting that I can change in Painter 9 to take care of this?

Jinbrown
10-03-2005, 01:39 AM
Hi Eric,

Painter IX wet DWC paint remains wet when the file is saved in RIFF format, closed, then opened again.

A few ways wet DWC paint can be dried are:

Use the Layers main menu command, Dry Digital Watercolor.
Use the Layers palette menu command, Dry Digital Watercolor.
Use Ctrl/Command+Shift+L.
Use File > Clone (the Clone's DWC paint will be dried).
Save the file in another format, like PSD, TIFF, etc., close the file, then open it again in Painter IX.
There may be other strange combinations of actions that cause wet DWC paint to be dried but I can't think of any right now.

Those listed above will definitely dry wet DWC paint.

P.S.

I'm basing the above on using Painter IX with neither of the Painter IX 9.1 Updates installed.

If you have installed one of the Painter IX 9.1 Updates and are sure you're not doing any of the things I listed above that would dry wet DWC paint, send an e-mail to Corel Painter Program Manager, Rick Champagne at:

rick.champagne@corel.com

Include all of the details including your system specs and include a link to this thread so he can see what we've already discussed.

Good luck!

CIRE
10-03-2005, 05:46 AM
That answers my question...thanks so much

Jinbrown
10-03-2005, 07:50 PM
Hi Eric,

I'm curious to know how it answered your question. For instance, did you learn that you were inadvertently drying the DWC paint by one of the methods I listed above, or was it something else?

It'll not only be helpful to me to know, but also to others reading this thread who may have had a similar problem.

Thanks in advance!

CGTalk Moderation
10-03-2005, 07:50 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.