PDA

View Full Version : Awkward Moments - Bank Machine – mo_pic

mo_pic
11-11-2002, 10:00 AM
OK. I’m in.

I’ve got two ideas and both are going to be ‘bank machine’ animations.
I’m not sure if I should start a new thread for each one of them. For the time being I’m just going to explain both ideas and if I have enough time I’ll finish both of them.

Idea number 1

I decided to give the shot a more dramatic look. I’m going to use a camera placed inside the bank machine. The rules say “single camera” but it doesn’t have to be boring though. ‘Fish eye’ perspective will be good as well.
Still I’m going to focus on animation.
The character that tries to use the bank machine is very cautious and suspicious.

Idea number 2

The bank machine is just too high!!! The character tries in every possible way to reach the machine.
First I was thinking of “machine too low…” version, but I think this is going to be more interesting (and easier as well).

I’ll post some storyboard(s) in the next few days.

Oh… I didn’t read all of the challenge entries so if someone had similar ideas tell me about it.

:)

MikaelPersson
11-11-2002, 11:00 PM
Looks interesting judging on your storyboard.
Will be interesting to see if you can bring in the subtelities of such an animation. I would suggest that you stick with the suspicious idea, devote all your time to polish the movement.

:wavey:

mo_pic
11-12-2002, 08:34 AM
I’ve read all posts with bank machine stories and I noticed that Pancake411 has already thought of taking a shot from a fish eye perspective.
Luckily my story is a bit different from Pancake’s one. Hope you don’t mind if I’ll do it the same way.

Storyboard. Here’s the description:
1. The character walks by (tries not to look suspicious)
2. He stops right before the machine and looks around if nobody saw him.
3. He leans forward
4. Enters the card
5 and 6 – enters the PIN
7 WRONG! red light flashes
8. one more try
9. wrong again
10 light flashes rapidly
11. character runs away in panic

I’m not sure if I can animate the light’s color according to the rules. :)

I’ll have to cut the animation down to 15 sec ... somehow.

mo_pic
11-12-2002, 08:39 AM
Sorry for that one. My system crushed in the very moment I clicked on submit reply button …
I just thought that the first post with the storyboard was not uploaded.

The only good thing is that the image is bigger now.

mo_pic
11-15-2002, 03:41 PM
HELP!!!!!!!! :eek:

My ftp server is down. :thumbsdow

Can’t post any updates!:annoyed:

Does any one know where could I get some free disk space?:hmm:

MikaelPersson
11-15-2002, 03:51 PM
Here are some:
cg thread, free space (http://www.cgtalk.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=16523&)

Do a search here, you will find lots of info for that.

mo_pic
11-15-2002, 04:33 PM
Thanx for help

It took me about 15 min.
Tried with the Slovakian site but didn't understand a word.

Here’s the first progress:

www.mopic.150m.com/wip/01.mov

I want to spend a little more time during the weekend on the challenge so more stuff is coming up in Monday.

For now I would like to get some critique before I really start animating.

mo_pic
11-15-2002, 04:51 PM
This new server doesn’t allow „hotlinking” so you have to download it.
It’s not so clicky-easy as you thought it will be.

mo_pic
11-18-2002, 02:12 PM
Remember the free time during the weekend that I supposed to have?
Well… someone at my work found out about it … some nice, extra work for the weekend … I just love it.
Now I’m halfway through with the animation. Had to skip thew things I had in my mind just to stay in the 15 sec. limit.
I skipped the first sequence where the character walks by - it would have to be 2-3 sec. long.
and he’s going to enter the PIN number only ones. The rest stays the way I showed in the storyboard.

I want to show that he hesitates and is really nervous.
I’m not satisfied with the way he leans forward to enter the PIN. There’s something mechanical in his movement but I can’t figure out what I’m missing.
If you want to see my progress so far download the file:

animation - .mov (sorenson) - 150 kB (http://www.mopic.150m.com/wip/mo_pic_AM_challange_wip02.mov)

mo_pic
12-08-2002, 09:03 PM
Thanx for the tips Rogue. :buttrock:

If I only had a few sec. more I would add more hesitation to the character’s behavior and hopefully give more tension to the action.

Here is the final animation.

final animation (http://www.mopic.150m.com/mo_pic_AM_challange_final.mov)

muckywetnoodle
12-19-2002, 06:53 AM
Lookin' good. He could use some more bounce in his walk. He's almost shuffling there and his torso's pretty rigid. I didn't think the action of him putting his arm around the buttons makes much sense either. His left arm is also very stiff until it reaches up to the atm. Putting the card into the slot is too quick. He could also use more reaction to the light going off and more activity in his upper body when he runs off. It looks like his timing curves could use some adjusting as well and would account for some of the mechanical feeling you are getting. For instance, when he's pressing the buttons it looks more like he's quickly and evenly punching his hand through the motion rather than actually pressing buttons. Good start just the same!

CGTalk Moderation
01-13-2006, 11:00 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.