PDA

View Full Version : texturing my draggie

gawain
11-11-2002, 08:56 AM
This is my first CGI character. I mean: the first one i have disegned and modeled from the basement, without following some tutorial or other's material.

Here the question is: what is the "easiest" way to texture it? I would like to obtain a realistic look, so i will use no procedural mapping.

Can someone help me or give me some suggestion on what process/method follow?
I'm using lightwave 6. Not very familiar with UV mapping.

Thank You very much. This is my first post here =)

G.

gawain
11-11-2002, 08:57 AM
sorry, this is the url

http://www.deltaframe.com/gawain/drago_2.jpg

:p

smfjersey
11-11-2002, 08:59 AM
It's a bit old school, but I'm a fan of uv unwrap. Can we see just a lil pic of your model?

smfjersey
11-11-2002, 09:04 AM
you're going to get a bunch of different answers for this. I,..myself would lay down thos wings flat, and move the head out so his neck is elongated. Then I would just start naming surfaces and unwrap where you have to. otherwise planer or whatever. Try to make texture transitions in "Hidden" areas. Thats just me though. It's old school, But my fav.

CTRL+X
11-11-2002, 09:06 AM
1) Don't rule out procedurals at all !! they can be very powerful in creating realistic testures

2) Your request for the easiest way to map a complex organic shape is really a broad question, My first thought to that is, the manual would be a great help at this time. the thought process on how you would texture this model is something you should have thought through as you modeled it.

3 the last thing is,,,try different things,, have fun and make mistakes, and re-do what you don't like, thats how you will really get what you want and learn the different techniques at the same time.

4) Welcome to the CGTALK lightwave group!!!!

Adios

gawain
11-11-2002, 12:56 PM
thanx!
I've tried some uv unwrap, but don't like very much the map that comes out.
What i really need is an atlas map, but lw 6 doesn't supprot that feature.
Mmmh maybe i have to upgrade to 7.
I will try with the feature i have anyway and meake you know my progress!
thanx again =)

G.

leigh
11-11-2002, 04:24 PM
I certainly wouldn't recommend using Atlas unwrapping for a character like this. Atlas unwraps require so much editing to get them to a usuable stage that using them for a character like this would be a terrible choice.
Atlas unwrapping is really only a viable option for things like buildings, in my opinion.

If I were you I'd just use a bunch of planar unwraps (for the wings, ears, and paws) and cylindrical ones (for the head, horns, limbs and tail). Sure, doing loads of unwraps like this can be a bit of a pain, but in the long run it's generally the best option and the easiest way to work it all. The main drawback to using methods like these is that you end up with a lot of seams to cover, but if you ensure that your seams are in fairly concealed places, they are easy to cover up.

You mentioned that you didn't like the results that you got from the other unwraps, but you must remember that the initial unwrap that you do get is never really immediately usuable. You always have to edit that initial UV map that you get, and once you're used to doing that, then working with UV maps is a breeze :thumbsup:

Perhaps you have not read much about unwrapping? I wrote a tutorial for the Lightwave website on this, so you might want to check that out for some tips :) Texturing For Dummies Part 2 (http://www.lightwave3d.com/tutorials/surface/texturing_for_dummies_002/index.html). You should check out some of the other tutorials there too, such as the one that Rob Pauza wrote regarding his most excellent raptor, as well as the other ones that I wrote there, which will give you some good pointers for where to start.

As for obtaining a realistic look, it doesn't matter what methods you use to create them, whether they are procedural or image map based, the key to photorealism lies in understanding how and why the different attributes work, and therefore knowing how to construct your surfaces.
I personally recommend that the best way to learning how everything works is to paint them in Photoshop, but once you have a good knowledge and understanding of everything, procedurals can be extremely useful ;)

Good luck!

Remi
11-11-2002, 04:34 PM
Listen to her.....she rocks at texturing, just look at some of her examples. Leigh Rocks:buttrock:

gawain
11-12-2002, 09:18 AM
Yeah, I know Leigh! It's my first post, but I'm wandering around here from a while...
It's a kind of honour have Leigh in this thread about my lil' draggie.
I will follow for sure her suggestions. I know there is not an easy way to obtain something beauty. It's a general rule :)

I will read some theory about the matter, as Leigh suggest, and post here my wips.

Thank you all, nice forum really!

G.

CGTalk Moderation
01-13-2006, 10:00 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.