PDA

View Full Version : N00b from Max to xsi. Questions...

Gibbz
10-01-2005, 10:58 AM
Ok so im messing with the XSI demo, seems nice so far. Im pretty impressed.

Some questions, if i have more ill stick them here too...

- Snap tools, is there a way to grab a selection of verts/edges or polys and snap from one vertex of the selected group to another vertex in the scene?

- Where do ichange the shortcuts? In max middle mouse is pan, no need to hold down alt. So this gets a little anoying for me.

- Selecting polys with click and drag only selects poly inside the square, i want to select any poly , even with a small amount thats inside my selection box. Also like to be able ot select single polys with point and click.

Brix
10-01-2005, 11:28 AM
- Selecting polys with click and drag only selects poly inside the square, i want to select any poly , even with a small amount thats inside my selection box. Also like to be able ot select single polys with point and click.

Press the "U" key and you'll get the raycast selection.

Gibbz
10-01-2005, 12:28 PM
yeah im using the qwerty key setup, "U" does nothing :|

Gibbz
10-01-2005, 01:26 PM
-also texture editor has some kind of soft select enabled, how to i disable that?

kreetoons
10-01-2005, 02:16 PM
I started with 3ds max too and reading the manual helped me a lot during transition period.

comanche
10-01-2005, 04:08 PM
- Snap tools, is there a way to grab a selection of verts/edges or polys and snap from one vertex of the selected group to another vertex in the scene?

Make sure to disable Transform > Collapse Points for Snapping. Select the components you want to transform. Aktivate the translate tool (v). Hold down "alt" and click where you want to set the temporary pivot. Now translate the selected components and snap to the desired target vertice.

thorn3d
10-01-2005, 04:25 PM
If you're using qwerty, you might have to check your key layout to find various shortcuts ... most people here (especially longtime users) dont use qwerty and havent much idea what the alternates are.

thorn

Isomorphismus
10-01-2005, 05:31 PM

Hi, am coming from 3ds max, too. I also cannot find the option of selecting polygons only partially in the rectangle with the rectangle select tool. I know the shortcut "u", but this switches to raycast mode, which is in deed nice, but doesn't do what I described above. So, is selecting polygons only partially in the rectangle of the rectangle selection tool (like it's the standard in xsi in edge component mode) possible?

Thanks.

Gibbz
10-02-2005, 01:24 AM
Ok which keyboard layout do you guys use? the XSI one?

thorn3d
10-02-2005, 02:56 AM
Ok which keyboard layout do you guys use? the XSI one?

Stock XSI layout.

thorn

K. Scott Gant
10-02-2005, 01:14 PM
stock XSI...well, only the zoom,rotate,pan is switched around a little.

NeptuneImaging
10-02-2005, 01:23 PM
Hi, am coming from 3ds max, too. I also cannot find the option of selecting polygons only partially in the rectangle with the rectangle select tool. I know the shortcut "u", but this switches to raycast mode, which is in deed nice, but doesn't do what I described above. So, is selecting polygons only partially in the rectangle of the rectangle selection tool (like it's the standard in xsi in edge component mode) possible?

Thanks.

You want to use the Y key for rectangular polygon selection

Isomorphismus
10-02-2005, 04:52 PM
You want to use the Y key for rectangular polygon selection

Well, Y key switches to polygon component mode. But if you draw a rectangle to select polygons only the totally included ones are selected. I want the partially inluded ones to be selected too (like E does for edge component mode). But regarding your answers, there seems to be no selection method to do so. Isn't that bad, I was just used to do it that way.

Thanks.

CGTalk Moderation
10-02-2005, 04:52 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.