PDA

View Full Version : Color anomaly - what has happened?

Gmax
10-01-2005, 08:59 AM
While painting in Photoshop, the brush suddently painted in a completely different colour than what I had set. I saved the image and when opening it again, blocks of image and colour distortion had appeared. I enclose the .jpg-file. Has anyone ever seen this? I browsed the adobe support pages and the Internet, but found no similar problem. What has happened?

AdamAnt1988
10-01-2005, 06:30 PM
It's possible you were simply brushing in a blending mode... it looks like you were painting in "difference" or the other blending mode that I can't remember the name of...

halo
10-01-2005, 10:22 PM
Thats hardware corruption of data...can be bad ram, bad drive, bad motherboard, bad cable, power spike/blip, bad psu...basically anything on your hardware, but its that for 100% certain, seen it too many times.

The reason you may not see it in other programs is because of the way PS accesses memory...but perhaps you have the occasional freeze now and then in other apps?

Gmax
10-02-2005, 07:03 AM
Thanks for the answers :) My HD was recently replaced with a new one because it malfunctioned (system failed to load), and I thought it may have been due to me using it as scratch disc. So when I got the computer (HP Pavilion, running Windows XP) back from service, I bought an Iomega external hard drive (160 GB) for this purpose. The computer seems to be running fine now, but when I work in Photoshop, it sometimes uses quite some time to exchange data with the Iomega. Just prior to this colour thing, I had waited for maybe more than half a minute for Photoshop to finish the data transfer. I've tried to increase the amount of RAM allocated to Photoshop, but do not yet know if this is sufficient. Any suggestions on what else to do?

halo
10-02-2005, 09:57 AM
using a scratch disk wont damage it, but using a disk that is full and which is using the system scratch isnt such a clever idea and can lead to corruption, but not hardware failure.

CGTalk Moderation
10-02-2005, 09:57 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.