PDA

View Full Version : How to speed up 3dMax

Soul_survivor
10-01-2005, 05:57 AM
Ok, ive been working in 3dmax for the last few months in school and at home. Ive got a P4 3.8ghz pc with 2 Gigs of ram. Needless to say long render times are a pain when your trying to learn the software, can any of you offer some relativley cheap solution? A radiosity rendering card for about $200 would be awesome lol

thethule
10-01-2005, 08:11 PM
A radiosity card would cost you a lot more than200 bucks and a nice Nvidia graphics card isnt going to speed up your rendering either. Sorry. The only way you can speed up renders is to learn how to optimise your scenes a bit better and if you are lookging to do radiosity, or more likely Global Illumination (GI) then maybe you could invest in a 3rd party renderer like Vray or Brazil or Final render. These will have much faster GI rendering than the standalone MAX one as well as fater raytracing (for glass, reflectiosnstec...) as well as a host of other options. BUT these cost at least $500 and have a steepish learnign curve. Ultimately, you have to realise that rendering times are part of the deal with 3d. My advice....get yourself a good book! :thumbsup:

Good luck

Marc

-Vormav-
10-01-2005, 10:11 PM
As thethule said, you're really just going to need to learn how to optimize your scenes for rendering. If you're just learning the package, a raytracing card is a waste of money, and so is a super-powerful workstation. But there are quite a lot of ways that you can optimize your scenes. And don't just try to use all of the fancy rendering techniques available (radiosity, hdri, etc.) just because they give you pretty renders: try and learn all of the little 'cheats' to get similar looks.
You could always force yourself to learn MR, too: Many of its rendering tools give you significantly faster renders than the scanline (pretty much anytime you have any raytracing in your scene, it will be faster). Although, some of the aforementioned renderers will still beat out MR by a lot for certain things (I'm in love with FR's GI). But just like with a raytracing card, if you're still new to 3dsmax, buying a new renderer would probably be wasteful.

SweetDreamz
10-02-2005, 12:33 AM
Let it render overnight & school time. By the time you get home, it should be done. You sleep for 8 hours, go to school for another...say 6 hours. 14 hours of rendering time should be enough for most little scenes. If not, just use another computer to do something else with while it renders.

deathman20
10-03-2005, 03:44 PM
Yup as others said optimizing and being patient is teh best way.

Only other thing you can do is render to smaller pictures.

Most scenes i render take 5-25min per shot at 1280x720. Rare cases do they ever take longer then 45min, currently, and I'm working with lots of polys. I use Vray but it costs $$ and it takes time to learn its power. I'd recommend using the standard max render or even mental ray if you can get it going, before I would start switching over to something that costs money.

CGTalk Moderation
10-03-2005, 03:44 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.