PDA

View Full Version : 3D on a mac?

souljah
02-25-2002, 05:09 AM
I was looking at OSX, it looks sweet. Apparently most apps are being ported to OSX (Maya, Photoshop, LW, and others)...So, if I were buying a new system should I consider a mac?

Macs are hard to upgrade, aren't they and are usually more expensive? I know you can't compare MHZ, cuz the architecture is different...

Does XSI 2 run on OS X?

Ls3D
02-25-2002, 05:24 AM
Here comes everybody's religion! including mine:

Get a dual PC with a gig (or 2) of ram, Win2Kpro, 3dsmax or maya.

I was interested in the maya osx combo, but beyond the hype I have not heard of any real production use of that combination.

PC's seem to have more software choices, and with a program like 3dsmax there are so many plug-ins out there, many free!

Sometimes having a bud who uses one of the top programs is reason enough to go that way because of the support they may be able and willing to offer.

NEXT!

-Shea
www.Ls3d.com

Chris
02-25-2002, 06:18 AM
Whee! My turn - I love these ones! :D

I use both in my work, Mac's are more pricey, but look nicer! They allow you a lot less freedom & flexibility in upgrades & customisations as well.

Photoshop runs better on a Mac,(**disclaimer** its only my opinion guys, please - no more letterbombs!) & for NLE I think Final Cut Pro blows any PC competitors out of the water...

But for 3D I would have to go for a PC. There are a lot more cheaper & better OpenGL cards arounds with all sorts of free extras (like softquadro) for PC's. Theres a much larger variety of 3D software, a much larger userbase for that software - which leads to a much larger support base.

:) Next!

Onida
02-25-2002, 11:30 AM
Macs can hold their own for 3d. I've been using a dual G4 800 with osx and maya for the past couple of months and it's been a dream. If you want to go for a mac there's nothing stopping you. Upgrading a mac is limited however, since you can only add more ram (pc133 yeah..that's right..pc ram goes into a mac), HDD space and video cards.. and that's about it (no cpu upgrades i'm afraid).
But the choice is yours, mac / pc / sgi they're all good choices, just whatever floats your boat.

(i've not nothing against pc's by the way.. )

CurtisS
02-27-2002, 03:01 AM
Don't forget that Blender is available for OSX though you need to buy the Publisher version to get good renderings.

Ciao for now!

Curtis S

wgriffiths2000
02-27-2002, 12:35 PM
Ok well this is a hard one i would recomend you get a pc first i own both a pc and a mac and i use the pc a shit load more in a years time or so we will see then but most of the programs still run in os 9 and you need to be running both os. Plus a pc is cheap so if it dose not work out your not at to great of a loss

Imagineer
02-27-2002, 08:49 PM
Macs all the way baby!!!

So, now that you know which side of the fence I stand on...

A short list of folks using Maya on Macs:

Industrial Light & Magic

Reality Check Studios

The Orphanage

To name a few...!

grstovell
02-27-2002, 10:43 PM
my turn....

I guess it depends how serious you want to get into 3D. If you are an experienced user whose daily sustenance depends on your freelancing... get a pc. Only because of compatibility issues with more and more studios (* kind'a debatable, I know...)

On the other hand. If you want an absolutely-wonderful-state-of-the-art-best-quality-training-etc.etc.etc... introduction to high-end 3D, why not get a mac and visit www.dvgarage.com

I know CG has a good tie with dvgarage, and they are known for excellent training with electric image.

Anyway... just my 2 mac-cents worth !!!!:D

Next????

Chris
02-28-2002, 02:57 AM
:) or alternatively, get your self a PC & go along to DV Garage... then you could get yourself a little something extra with the change... like a car... or another PC... :D j/k

forsh
02-28-2002, 03:32 AM
F0ck the 1 button mac. Can't even upgrade yer shit. What kinda PoS is that?

sigma
02-28-2002, 03:56 AM
F0ck the 1 button mac. Can't even upgrade yer shit. What kinda PoS is that?
lol, yer living in the 80's there buddy. I use a 4 button Turbo Mouse on my G3. What planet are you on. :p

[edit: I regret posting this message. I forgot about the IMac 1button freak of a mouse. sry forsh

Chris
02-28-2002, 04:28 AM
oh no - its turning into a 'my mouse is bigger than your mouse' battle :D

'Remember, its not the size of your wand. its the magic in it that counts...'
Terry Pratchett

sigma
02-28-2002, 04:31 AM
Well come on Chris, a 1 button Mouse!? When was the last time you saw that. I mean COME ON!

lmao :p

Chris
02-28-2002, 05:09 AM
LOL, our editor uses one still... I've got a spare Intellimouse optical 5 button + scroll sitting there & he refuses to use it (on the grounds that its got 'microsoft' on the back & he's worried it will infect his system) :D - mind you, hes probably not far wrong... :(

I came across a graphic designer the other day who actually likes using those little IMac UFO thingies, you know those crazy circular things you can only hold with your thumb & forefinger? he he

:)

sigma
02-28-2002, 05:21 AM
lol, omg i totally forgot about the Imac mouse! I even have one in storage from years ago. Sorry, I totally forgot. Im sure the vast majority of Mac users have more than 1 button.

grstovell
02-28-2002, 06:49 PM
Hate to break the mouse chain, but I've always worked with macs and I've never touched a mouse...

I wouldn't know what to do without my wacom tablets...:D

underdog
02-28-2002, 07:09 PM
I've never had much chance to use a mac..so I can't comment much. Though it looks like they are really gearing up to be a competitor in the 3d market, those new dual G4's look like they could kick some serious 3d butt! The upgrade and price issues keep me from seriously considering the switch though. I could build two dual athlon monsters for the price of those dual g4's....

CGTalk Moderation
01-13-2006, 02:00 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.