PDA

View Full Version : Majorly URGENT: Need some help on quote.

Uncle-Ox
09-30-2005, 11:26 PM
Hi Evre1

Sorry to start another "how much do I quote" thread.

I have been asked to quote on a job and a "ball park" figure needs to be delivered later today.

The job will involve the customer taking photos of a visitor entrance. I will then have to match up geometry into these photos with PhotoMatch so that the basic walls and windows are copied in their exact same positions and so that the photograps can be mapped onto that geometry. Then I will need to add improvements as recommended by the franchising company to the entrance EG. new colour paint, new floor and wall tiles etc.

I have absolutely no experience in the "architectual visualisation" field and don't even know where to start the pricing on such a quote. Furthermore the customer said that he's not interested in an hourly tarriff and that he wants a ballpark quote on the complete job. I have 2 to 3 weeks to complete the job from the time I receive the photos.

Can someone please help me with some figures?

Rabbitroo
10-01-2005, 05:32 AM
Hi Evre1

Sorry to start another "how much do I quote" thread.

I have been asked to quote on a job and a "ball park" figure needs to be delivered later today.

The job will involve the customer taking photos of a visitor entrance. I will then have to match up geometry into these photos with PhotoMatch so that the basic walls and windows are copied in their exact same positions and so that the photograps can be mapped onto that geometry. Then I will need to add improvements as recommended by the franchising company to the entrance EG. new colour paint, new floor and wall tiles etc.

I have absolutely no experience in the "architectual visualisation" field and don't even know where to start the pricing on such a quote. Furthermore the customer said that he's not interested in an hourly tarriff and that he wants a ballpark quote on the complete job. I have 2 to 3 weeks to complete the job from the time I receive the photos.

Can someone please help me with some figures?

Given the lack of details, I'd offer my rack rate of USD $225/hour. (My "friend" rate is much lower, but I'm not sure I could trust this guy to stay to a spec. If I was desperate for the buisness, I might go as low as USD $125/hour.) I figure it could take as much as 40 hours with the very sketchy spec I see. So, ballpark looks to be USD $9,000 + expenses. If I could bind him into a more restrictive demand on my time, I might bid as low as USD $5,000.

It kind of depends on how much you want this client, I guess.

-K

BUZZFX
10-01-2005, 06:00 AM
Rabitroo,

How much detail is on the architecture? If it's not too much, then I'd quote anywhere from $2000 - $3500 depending on complexity. but it's hard to know without seeing the details.

One thing I'd do forsure is to leave the quote a littel open ended. In other words give the client a range depending on complexity. For example:

Approximately $2000.00 - 3000.00 based on 20 - 30 hours work. (Additional work will charged at the hourly rate)

Once you reach the 30 hours you charge extra per/hour. The most important thing I've learned is you must be comfortable with what you're charging, otherwise you'll be frustrated the whole way through the job. Charge what you feel you need to make on the job and then you'll feel better. Remember you're in the drivers seat.

Good Luck :thumbsup:

Uncle-Ox
10-01-2005, 06:11 AM
Hi Rabbitroo

Thanx for the answer.

I don't want to go too exorbitant on the pricing as this client would be a good repeat business client. By the looks of things, I wish the client was an American one cause then I could charge in $ an not in ZAR :).

From what has been discussed on the job it doesn't sound like too much work either. I'll definitly build a clause into my final quote which states the quote doesn't include modeling of new fixtures, sculptures and time-consuming stuff like that.

Rabbitroo
10-01-2005, 03:29 PM
Rabitroo,

How much detail is on the architecture? If it's not too much, then I'd quote anywhere from $2000 - $3500 depending on complexity. but it's hard to know without seeing the details.

One thing I'd do forsure is to leave the quote a littel open ended. In other words give the client a range depending on complexity. For example:

Approximately $2000.00 - 3000.00 based on 20 - 30 hours work. (Additional work will charged at the hourly rate)

Once you reach the 30 hours you charge extra per/hour. The most important thing I've learned is you must be comfortable with what you're charging, otherwise you'll be frustrated the whole way through the job. Charge what you feel you need to make on the job and then you'll feel better. Remember you're in the drivers seat.

Good Luck :thumbsup:

Not enough detail in Uncle Ox's description to know how complex. I stopped doing "open-ended" quotes years ago because client's took advantage and it just led to complaints and frustrations on the back-end. That's why I normally work hourly or salary--fixed price contracts give me gas. ;)

Also, I'm probably the not the best person for the job--I get paid more for my design work and art direction than I do for archeticture-viz projects. :)

-K

Rabbitroo
10-01-2005, 03:31 PM
Hi Rabbitroo

Thanx for the answer.

I don't want to go too exorbitant on the pricing as this client would be a good repeat business client. By the looks of things, I wish the client was an American one cause then I could charge in $ an not in ZAR :).

From what has been discussed on the job it doesn't sound like too much work either. I'll definitly build a clause into my final quote which states the quote doesn't include modeling of new fixtures, sculptures and time-consuming stuff like that.

My only advice is not to under-sell yourself. I usually bid high and as details/restrictions/agreements with the client get documented, I'll bring the estimate down. Clients are usually happier with you going down in bid than going up. :p

-K

Finster
10-01-2005, 05:04 PM
I don't quote 3d work, but I do a lot of graphics quoting (mainly prepress and some design). I'm with Rabbitroo, quote a little higher and come down with the final price if possible. If you do a flat quote be very specific on what that will cover and quote an hourly rate for extras that fall beyond the scope. Be very clear before you begin these "extras" during the project that they are extra charges.

If you are absolutely sure this will be a repeat customer you can offer them a break in price, or better put in the contract that you will give them a break in price on the next job. I've been burned too many times with costumers dangling the "carrot" of future business that doesn't pay off. But then again, I've had customers that I've worked with for 2 years offering excellent service at cut rates, knowing that eventually they'll give me more work than I could handle.

vid2k2
10-01-2005, 07:06 PM
First rule: get a purchase order or some kind of physical document
that states you are hired to do the work with your "estimate" numbers.
Rule two: see rule one.

In the midwest, things are starting to pick up a little but not without a long lag in time between when a project is quoted and when, and if, it finally comes in. The prices quoted
above are way above what we can get here. However, that may due to those outrageous
job sites where prospective projects want a full blown animation of "your" stuff that they
want to buy for a max of $250.00. The people that give it away to them are responsible
for setting a very bad precident and ruins the market for the rest of us. Yes, I fully
understand the need to make some $$$, but, really!

I too have fallen into that, "Give us a break on this job, and we'll pay your rate on the next one"
LOL, don't hold your breath. You've been conned. Honest work for honest pay is what should
be going on. Sorry for the mild rant, but if this helps anyone getting duped, I'm glad I
shared this advice.

All in all, there are good clients out there. if you have one, treat them well but don't sell
your soul :) From the movie, The Italian Job, trust everyone but not the devil in them.

CGTalk Moderation
10-01-2005, 07:06 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.