PDA

View Full Version : audio float controller help please

Dmaxer
09-30-2005, 10:06 PM
Im writing a script to emulate an audio Vu meter. the thing is I need to read a wave file

I know how to add an audio float controller to control the height or what ever of a box.

but I donít know how to just read the value from a audio float controller without it being assigned to an object

I need to compare the value in the audio float controller to a value in an array like this

if audio >= lowgain[q] then ( run code )

where audio is the value I need to represent the value from a audio float controller

I was thinking maybe I could add a audio float controller to control the height of a box then hide the box

And read the height and make the value audio = the height of the box but this seems a bit messy and Iím not sure

How I would get the height of the box anyway

I hope someone can help

Thanks for reading

Bobo
09-30-2005, 10:18 PM
Not only does TrackView provide stand-in Global tracks with all kinds of controllers, you can use MAXScript to create your own TrackView nodes and add controllers to them. So you could assign your audio controller to one of these tracks and read the value of the controller at the desired (or the current) time...

Check out the MAXScript Reference for details...

Dmaxer
09-30-2005, 10:31 PM
Thanks Bobo

Bobo
09-30-2005, 10:35 PM
Thanks Bobo

Here is an example.
Unfortunately, you don't seem to be able to assign the wave file to the controller via MAXScript, so you can only create the track and read the track, but have to pick the file manually...

theNode = trackViewNodes.Audio_Test
if theNode == undefined do
theNode = newTrackViewNode trackViewNodes "Audio Test"

try
theTrack = theNode.Audio_Track
catch
theTrack = addTrackViewController theNode (audiofloat()) "Audio Track"

--ASSIGN WAVE FILE MANUALLY

for t = 1 to 100 do
format "%\n" (at time t theTrack.value)

Dmaxer
09-30-2005, 10:49 PM
Thanks again Bobo thats just what I needed :)

CGTalk Moderation
09-30-2005, 10:49 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.