PDA

View Full Version : still: wood scene

BooTy
11-10-2002, 10:11 PM
WHOA ... I've finally finished this "enchanted forest" :-) ... now it's about time to get some sleep :-))

3ds max 5 + AfterBurn + Brazil r/s
http://booty.form08.com/wood_final02.jpg

DeathCarrot
11-10-2002, 10:44 PM
whoa indeed! :surprised
its perfect, no crits, just.. perfect...

ThePrince
11-10-2002, 11:03 PM
can't say much, but good work

the unicorns should have a bump map, for there hair, unless you want to add fur using shag|fur

but other than that, pretty good

ThePrince
11-10-2002, 11:04 PM
could you post a wireframe, a rendered wire frame and a screen shot

insanelight
11-11-2002, 07:17 AM
I'm speechless!
Great work man! :buttrock:

srich23
11-11-2002, 07:53 AM
i like the lighting, also the horses don't fit with out a bump map or something

basjenamo
11-11-2002, 08:31 AM
you definetly rock dude!:buttrock:

Aljoker
11-11-2002, 12:02 PM
BooTy

it is realy great work by max 5.

can i take this picture to show it other people ? i want them to know the power of max 5 ..

digitaldamage
11-11-2002, 04:08 PM
I abolutely agree, "whoa" fits! :)

Only minor things: What about a displacement map for the stone in the foreground to break up the uniform structure. (uniform means, cg stones look a bit too smooth most of the time)

The trail to the right; i cannot exactly say what it is, but thereīs a point where the texture seems to be too "bumpy". Or maybe it is the scaling of the texture, i donīt know. In any case, the part looks much more "bigger" than the area right behind and before it. (aww, what am i talking about? I added a picture)

The moss covered stone looks good. But the moss has no support from the texture, or i simply cannot see it. It looks a bit
"put on". Maybe add some green/brownish dirt or something like that?
And, of course, all IMHO.

Otherwise :thumbsup:
Very nice mood

[hope you donīt mind that i painted around in your picture]

BooTy
11-11-2002, 07:44 PM
wow ... thanx for the critique ppl :-) ... about the unicorns ... well, they're not perfect but I just can't do a perfect image ... have to leave some room for future improvements :-))

bentarr : thanx for pointing out the details ... u're right about that and I'll remember that next time :-)

and here's a wire shot ... as u can see it's quite a simple scene ... :-)

http://booty.form08.com/wood_wire011.jpg

HapZungLam
11-11-2002, 09:32 PM
:eek: :eek: :eek: :surprised

How can you make the backgroud like glowing

Capt.Jackass
11-11-2002, 09:46 PM
first of all that picture looks awesome:thumbsup:
second, did you use afterburn to make that moss covering the rocks and trees? if so, HOW? :D
third, is afterburn compatible with max 5?

BooTy
11-11-2002, 11:00 PM
HapZungLam : there's a bitmap as background and there's also a Plane object in front of it which is semi transparent and has a gradient map on it and ... guess what ... video post glow effect :-)

Capt.Jackass : yes I did :D ... it's just like dense green clouds :-)) ... AfterBurn runs fine in max 5 and even renders fine under Brazil in max 5 :-))

Obraxis
11-11-2002, 11:45 PM
Great artwork!

My only crit is that both unicorns are standing up and seem a little toy-like. I would make the closer one bending down as if it was eating some grass or something to give the picture more life.

But thats just my 2 cents.

-Obraxis

Capt.Jackass
11-12-2002, 02:35 AM
just one more quick question:D
what version of afterburn did you use?

facial
11-12-2002, 03:59 AM
BooTy. You did great work, I love those lighting work.
Well done:thumbsup:

Larry_g1s
11-12-2002, 04:56 AM
:eek: Gorgeous. Not much else to say but Gorgeous.
What did you use as a reference? Or did you just come up with it from scractch?

BooTy
11-12-2002, 05:21 AM
Juggernaut : only for the trees and a part of the ground I've used some pics from LOTR as reference but the scene as a whole is done from scratch ... no reference, no sketches ...

Carina
11-12-2002, 07:36 AM
It's a lovely feel to the picture. Well done.

The one problem I have with the picture is the unicorns.. they look tiny in the environment... I think they would look a lot better if they were larger.

Error323
11-12-2002, 10:54 AM
It's absolutly beautifull. I love the mush (green stuff on the rocks) the particles, what were your settings with it?

BooTy
11-13-2002, 07:17 PM
settings? .. uhm ... dunno :shrug: ... I've been playing with AfterBurn a whole day and I ended up with what u see :-)) ... well ... it's just a densier cloud setting, only green gradients and metaballs for some parts ... the particles are standard PArray assigned to selected polygons ...

the sparky
11-13-2002, 08:10 PM
I love it.

My only problem is the branch that sticks out of the log in the left middle is at the same angle as the branch sticking up by that unicorn on the right... For some reason when I first glanced at the scene, that is what really caught my attention... they looked like creatures or something. I'm not sure. Just thought I'd share that impression.

Aljoker
11-14-2002, 08:14 AM
could you tell us where did you get the material for trees, rocks and grass ?????

where can i find like these materials .. ???

BooTy
11-14-2002, 08:32 AM
aljoker : I've used some bitmaps from some texture collections from Marlin Studios, but i think there are almost equal quality seamless maps on the web for free ... the main thing isn't in bitmaps but in mixing ... for the trees I've made a displacement texture with a single noise map, the same map I've used as RGB Multiply for the bitmap in diffuse slot so the map is lighter in displaced areas ... I've also made a copy of the whole map, made it lighter and used a Falloff so the whole material gets lighter on sloped areas depending on a camera angle ... I use the Falloff almost everywhere cuz u'll get good results when well combined with lighting and fog ... the same is with the stones except I've used a Cellular map for displacement and RGB Multiply and there are actually 2 bitmaps mixed on it ... and the overall Falloff again ...

Aljoker
11-14-2002, 09:09 AM
waaaw ...

thanks alot Booty :thumbsup:

BooTy
11-14-2002, 09:25 AM
correction ... when I was talking about the tree material I meant the big one to the right in the foreground ... the other trees have much complicated material mixed with 2 bitmaps, noise map, cellular map (which is also used as displacement) and a falloff ... all mixed in various ways :-) ... that's about it :-)

Technofreak
11-14-2002, 01:35 PM
sweet pic, my only crit is those poly planes for the leaves on the trees do not need all those vertices in them, would save render time in an animation :)

BooTy
11-14-2002, 01:38 PM
yeah I could make it only one poly per plane but I was experimenting with noise on it and I just turned it off but didn't remove the polys ... if I'd be making animation I'd have removed it of course :-)

tal flint
11-14-2002, 06:06 PM
great work.
only thing is the horses look like they have no body hair.
perhaps a small amount of bump will fix that.

BooTy
11-14-2002, 06:10 PM
tal flint : who says they should have any body hair? ... u ever seen a real unicorn? :-)) ... j/k :-)) ... they actually have a small bump ... it's just too small :-)))

tal flint
11-14-2002, 06:15 PM
booty - shure i did.i ride on to work every day:bounce:

BooTy
11-14-2002, 06:16 PM
wow ... u too? :-))

CGTalk Moderation
01-13-2006, 09:00 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.