PDA

View Full Version : Autokey Whole Character Question XSI 5

My Fault
09-29-2005, 04:08 PM
I am pretty new to XSI and am currently trying out the XSI 5 demo and had a quick timeline/autokey question. I really like the new timeline and was wondering if I could show and move around whole characters in the timeline or can I only show and move around individual items? For instance I know I can select the foot IK null in the timeline and play with the timing but what if I want to move around both feet and hand controls at the same time? Do I have to individually select each part and move them or can I do whole groups?

Thanks for any help. Going through doc fils right now but was hoping someone could point me in a specific direction.

tuna
09-29-2005, 07:23 PM
You can select multiple objects and all of their keys will show on the timeline. Branch selection etc works the same.

[edit] Autokey wont work with branch selection, it'll still only key the object you selected. But all of the objects selected will show their keys in the timeline fine.

My Fault
09-29-2005, 07:37 PM
Ah ok, not exactly what I want but at least I know the limitations of the timeline. Thanks!

Mechis
09-29-2005, 09:53 PM
Do I have to individually select each part and move them or can I do whole groups?

I'm not sure I understand the difference between the choices in your question. Wouldn't you have to select the parts that you want to be keyed?

I'm not sure I understand your question, but I was able to do this-- create two primitives, set keys for them, if I select both, both objects' keys show up and I can any of them around. Also, if both are selected and I have autokey on, both objects have keys created.

I'm new to xsi, but I think it can do what you're asking....
Mechis
ps. Or maybe you're trying to key everything on a character at once? I think you can create a button that does that...

tuna
09-29-2005, 10:07 PM
Ah ok, not exactly what I want but at least I know the limitations of the timeline. Thanks!

What exactly do you want? There are key filters for the timeline, as with most things. I wasn't totally clear on what you were origonally, either. Give an example or something, see if there's a solution.

Sil3
09-29-2005, 10:34 PM
I am pretty new to XSI and am currently trying out the XSI 5 demo and had a quick timeline/autokey question. I really like the new timeline and was wondering if I could show and move around whole characters in the timeline or can I only show and move around individual items? For instance I know I can select the foot IK null in the timeline and play with the timing but what if I want to move around both feet and hand controls at the same time? Do I have to individually select each part and move them or can I do whole groups?

Thanks for any help. Going through doc fils right now but was hoping someone could point me in a specific direction.

U can make Groups of selected items, Keep an Explorer Window open and select the Groups u want, then move the keys in the timeline, u can also use the Dopesheet.

Hope this is what u asked.

My Fault
09-29-2005, 10:43 PM
Sorry I might not have been clear. For example in messiah I can create a group for the whole body so if I move an arm on frame 1 it will still set a key automatically for everything in that group without me having to set a key or key everything individually. I can then go through very quickly and set all the poses I want and then move whole poses around to time it. I know I can use the dopesheet in XSI to do this but since the timeline is there I was hoping to use that. I am spoiled by messiah dopemaster, which is similar to XSI's timeline but a bit more powerful (or so it seems, I don't know XSI enough to know that fir sure), because it is so fast to animate with.

Really appreciate the help as I am sure most of this is user error. Definitely learning a lot reading the forum and the doc files.

Gene Williams
09-30-2005, 04:47 AM
Check out these video tuts...think the one on key framing, believe
it is 009 will give you something to go on. Some really good material
covered in these gems.
http://www.3dtutorial.com/free_videos.php

Gene

ThE_JacO
09-30-2005, 05:37 AM
what you're asking for is exactly what marking sets are for.
creating sets of parameters that can be easily selected and animated.

My Fault
09-30-2005, 06:00 AM
Thanks for all the help, I will look more in to marking sets and that video. Very much appreciated!

CGTalk Moderation
09-30-2005, 06:00 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.