PDA

View Full Version : Faking outdoor lighting in Maya

Gamma_Bomb
11-10-2002, 08:37 PM
First off I am fairly new to Maya.

I tried running through a tutorial from www.pixho.com on faking outdoor lighting, but I ran into an issue right away. I cannot get my initial light to duplicate and rotate in the correct directions indicated in the tutorial.

The tut. calls for creating a single directional light. Then moving it -10 along the x axis. Once this is done, open the duplicate windows box and enter in -10 in x, -10 in rotate x, and number of copies to 9.

Now, once I hit the duplicate button it just sends the copies farther out along the x axis along a line with a gradual incline.

The desired result (as show in the tutorial) has all the lights lining up in a perfect arc towards the center line from the initial directional light.

I have tried resetting the duplicate settings and then plugging in the coordinates. I have also tried centering the pivot point of the initial light to the 0,0,0 axis point and then rerunning the dupliacte settings, but it is to no avail.

Can anyone help me get these lights set up? Or does anyone know of an easier tutorial on faking outdoor lighting? Thanks in advance.

Gamma_Bomb
11-11-2002, 12:02 AM
Figured out what was wrong. From the tutorial:

"Now, open the options window of the Duplicate menu. Enter -10 in X and 9 in the number of copies. This will duplicate 9 times your light, and rotate it by -10 degrees in X."

Instead of X it should be the Z axis. After that all works reasonably well until you get to the part after rebuilding the Sphere. Once again, confusion land.

Stahlberg
11-11-2002, 10:14 AM
I think this is an old tut on his site, you should try the newer GI_Joe script which makes the sphere of lights for you, and much more. :)

Gamma_Bomb
11-11-2002, 04:07 PM
AH thats a bummer. Where can you find this GI_Joe script? I've been searching for something like this and so far this tutorial was the best that I've come across. Thanks very much.

bakkaboy
11-11-2002, 08:40 PM
you can find it on the pixho site - upper left hand corner

CGTalk Moderation
01-13-2006, 09:00 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.