PDA

View Full Version : Shades of Grey - sorry, more Spidey

Chris Ollis
02-25-2002, 02:34 AM
Sorry, I just like you guys and your opinions.
Knocked the textures off to see what was going on a bit better.
Any suggestions (other than "do some legs")!?

http://the3d.ws/artists/chris_ollis/SpideyX3.jpg

Cheers,

Gilgamesh
02-25-2002, 05:21 AM
Umm, do some legs.

And I'm not entirely sure what the creases are about. Is it his clothing, or his wirey muscles? Either way I think it might be a tad overdone. And the bicept looks strange. But the character has a lot of, well, character.

Chris Ollis
02-25-2002, 12:52 PM
Chest creases are his outfit

yeah, Biceps look odd because of a vein running too far to the side down them, I'll do something about that.

Matt_Forcum
02-25-2002, 02:12 PM
make him your own! i wanna see an original character man!

Chris Ollis
02-25-2002, 02:14 PM
what, as in my own version of Spidey?

or not Spidey?

I was kinda going for my own Spidey. (and seeing as I've done the eyes now............)

:)

Matt_Forcum
02-25-2002, 02:19 PM
no spidey, spidey is a regestered trademark of marvel comics group. your own character all you! once i entered a piece into a contest and it had spidey in it. I didnt do well, as soon as i took him out and put in a different character all my own BOOOM i win best in state for a nation wide contest. do your own stuff man! thats where the fun stuff is!

Chris Ollis
02-25-2002, 02:26 PM
but I like Spidey!

Anyway (and I'm being cheeky here so excuse me) Isn't your icon a little unoriginal? (it looks like either Geri or a picture a mate of mine did for a magzine here in the UK!)
http://www.xenomorphic.co.uk/gallery_rowley.htm
what is it with old men and fuzzy hair?!

Back to seriousness, I'm not doing a "pikcha of my favrit comic man" I'm doing my own take on a character that I've always felt needed to be darker (if only Tim Burton had got the film rights!)

The problem with doing your own superhero is that you always have to explain it via other examples - so original as you make it, you always have to say to someone "you know, a bit like Superman" and then there goes the originality.

Maybe that should be the next Challenge?!! A superheo with absolutely no relation to one that has come before?!!!!

I'd be surprised if anyone managed it.

Error323
02-25-2002, 06:43 PM
Yo Ephesus maybe ur still a bit upset about that rusboy guy... but I think u can't blame this guy here for making a spidey 2 :P I think it's very cool and making your favo character in 3d has got nothing to do with copyrights/trademarks imo.

anyway looking forward to see it finished.

:: Error

Chris Ollis
02-25-2002, 06:51 PM
Cheers Error,

I just read the rustboy, sorry, rustbot thread, and found it all very amusing.

I was going to post something when I first saw his icon a few weeks ago - I'm a big fan of Rustboy and have also had some of my own work stolen and used by someone else in the past so felt a bit angry over the situation, but being relatively new to the group - in posting - not reading - I didn't think I should stir up trouble.

Anyway, glad you approve of Spidey (he's got legs now, but I'll do the hands and feet before posting again)

Chris

Chris Ollis
02-25-2002, 08:45 PM
Legs, hands, etc.

Before I start texturing, what needs fixing?
(remember he's meant to be skinny and stylized)

http://the3d.ws/artists/chris_ollis/SpideyFB.jpg

Matt_Forcum
02-25-2002, 08:49 PM
yeah youre right, im mad about the rustboy thing. I just would rather see original work is all. its ok to like spidey and use him as inspiration by all means man. Just lately ive seen alot of Spiderman and i .......im just still mad at the rustboy thing.

by the way, anyone who does a stylized old man is going to be compared to Geri, weather it looks like him or not. its just the way things work. It doesnt make it a rip. it just means that the style is similar. All of my stuff is highly styilzed like this. everyone who does a talking bug is compared to bugs life, and everyone who does a hyper realistic future space human is compared to the final fantasy.

ToddD
02-25-2002, 08:52 PM
I like the style, but maybe you should look at some anatomy books or pics for reference. Right now he looks like parts of different people sewn together. =)

Chris Ollis
02-25-2002, 08:52 PM
exactly what I was saying with the Superhero thing.

A man in tights is a man in tights. eeeeuw!

er, or maybe not.

phaction3
02-25-2002, 10:29 PM
umm, here's a bit of advice. Go buy a book on anatomy. Superheros are supposed to be exaggerated, but you need to realize what you're exaggerating. He has no muscles in his thighs, his abs are completely disproportionate, his ankles look like growths, his hips and his waist are female, it looks like he has two dinner plates for shoulder blades, there are three different muscles in you shoulder, check it out in the mirror, his knees are way too thin, his nose is too pointy and his face is just a skull, the spine is rediculous, what's up with the gashes across his chest?, did someone rip him open and take out his pecs? find out what a tricep looks like, you need muscles from the neck to the shoulder. He looks like a cross between a heroin addict and a steroid freak. Spider-man is supposed to be a more lean character, not super ripped, and the skeleton you have would never be able to support the muscular system you have here. What sketches are you basing this design on? There's stylized and then there rediculous. Biggest thing, go buy a book on anatomy, or at least look at some da vinci and michelangelo, the latter is perfect reference for superheroes. The eyes look nice.

Chris Ollis
02-26-2002, 12:41 AM
fine, it would appear I'm going for ridiculous not stylized then.
I know anatomy, I've studied fine art, and I know how your average muscle bound superhero looks. I'm trying to do something different. I agree about the shoulder blades and I thought someone would say that the shoulders themselves are too far out (although it's waiting to be boned still so I'm not sure if thats a good thing or not right now) but I want to do new, that doesn't look like everyone else's work (we all know where that gets you!!!!!!!)

Mind you, thanks for the "heroin addict steroid freak" comment - that's more the look I'm going for, thanks for the compliment!

Let's all stay cheerful folks!

:)

Gilgamesh
02-26-2002, 12:55 AM
Well, I like the style of the character. I'm always impressed with the ultra realistic models that people come out with, but I also like to see a different idea every once in a while. It is refreshing. Phaction had some good observations, but I wouldn't worry about whether or not his skeleton could support his muscle structure. He's a super hero.:) Of course I have some opinions of my own, like everyone else. For instance, it would be cool to see his outfit stretching and creasing all over, and not just in the pectoralis area. That would make it easier to understand that it is the clothing, and not that someone ripped him open and took out his pecs. ;)
I think it is probably a good idea to take another look at real muscles, but the style is just great. Good work, and keep us updated!
:D

ToddD
02-26-2002, 01:10 AM
Let's face it, a major part of alot of comic art exaggerating proportions and anatomy, I don't disagree with that, but this just feels a little put together. In order to exaggerate or stylize something, it helps to have a thorough understanding of the actual form and function first. To me if the body had more continuity, it would be more aesthetic.

Chris Ollis
02-26-2002, 01:06 PM
Cheers Gilgamesh - I do find your constructive criticism the most rewarding.
In theory I'll add to the clothing creases a little more in the texturing, the creasing (predominately across the chest, but also around the groin area) was a bit of a test to see if it would be better to putr it in at mesh level or texture. Once I've tried the texture route I'll form a more solid opinion.

Tbonz, what bits aren't flowing to you? as I said I ain't happy with the shoulders, but I've been doing it off and on (probably half the problem) and can't see whats up really (too close to it I guess) - a few more specifics would help.

Cheers,

ToddD
02-26-2002, 08:58 PM
Chris, obviously the shoulders you know about, I think the legs and hip area don't really match up proportionally, the sweep of the thigh should not carry so high on the leg. Also I'd like to see the level of detail be a little more consistent throughout the model, his front torso is very detailed, but his back is non descript. I think this has a lot of potential, but it needs some work. =)

Chris Ollis
02-26-2002, 09:04 PM
Cheers, I know what you mean about the detail, I'm just having trouble working out what to do to level it up without making his legs wrinkly!

I've made a lot of changes to him today - but I'm stuck doing some work now - so I'll try and get an update (maybe with textures) out later tonight or tomorrow - depending on how much wine I drink when I get in :)

Mind you, I can't help but think that I've lost sight of what I originally intended - he's looking more and more "human" as I work on him. Maybe I'll start from scratch on my own character some time and go for the stylized heroin chic look there!

Cheers.

Chris Ollis
02-27-2002, 01:07 PM
New Spidey comic cover...

http://www.comicscontinuum.com/stories/0202/27/amazing42.htm

man those are some small ankles, hands and feet.

CGTalk Moderation
01-13-2006, 01:00 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.