PDA

View Full Version : photo to vector image

timtom1
09-29-2005, 12:24 PM
Hi how do you create this sort of effect in photoshop from a photo?

http://www.lldt.net/ap_designiskinky.asp

AdamAnt1988
09-30-2005, 02:42 AM
I believe that there are two ways you can do this. One is quicker, easier, and by association, less accurate. The other method is to use any method of tracing (be it the pen tool, or my prefered method the polygonal lasso with an appropriate feather setting) and do it by hand. The last method is much slower but you will end up with the results you want just by putting the time into it.

ctp
10-01-2005, 02:25 PM
You could try out Filter > Artistic > Cutout...
It goes a bit of the way, depending on your original image. It resembles a filter in earlier versions of PS (pre CS, I think) called Posterize (not to be mistaken with the Poster Edges).

Adobe used to have a product called Streamline. It's for automatic tracing of images into vector graphics (like what you get with the Pen tool in PS). Playing a bit with the settings, you could get the kind of look you're after, and then import in into PS to get a pixel based image.

I think Adobe discontinued Streamline. But you can now find the same functions in Adobe Illustrator CS 2. Again, like with Streamline, you can import the graphics into PS.
An added bonus about vector traced images (although they're simplified), is you can scale them to any size you like, without getting blurred edges.

AdamAnt1988
10-01-2005, 06:27 PM
Yeah but I dont think photoshop is able to produce vector graphics (a problem with the algorithms that produce images?), Illustrator on the other hand does produce true resizeable vector images.

ctp
10-01-2005, 06:40 PM
Adam, you're correct. I didn't phrase my reply properly. What I meant with the scaling was to scale in Illustrator, and then import to PS, or simply choose the size as you open the Illustrator file in PS, if you need to work with a pixel version.

little5points
10-01-2005, 07:16 PM
I tried it. This is the best I could come up with by using filters alone...no manual work:

http://www.chesterpark.com/cgtalk/test1.jpg

I know a lot of people look for instant effects and things that don't require a lot of time, but the best way to do most effects is to do it manually.

It wouldn't be that hard to just posterize your image and with the Pen tool, just trace over each color. And when you're done, you can export the paths into Illustrator for a vector image.

osmose
10-03-2005, 06:01 PM
Hi how do you create this sort of effect in photoshop from a photo?

http://www.lldt.net/ap_designiskinky.asp

hi,

you could also try vector eye which is the best from my point of view...

harrishcl
10-04-2005, 07:40 PM
yeah i remember ..i viewed that whole tutorial ..on Techtv....how to modify raster image into vector image..step by step ....as i get that tutorial link ..i get u know ...

CGTalk Moderation
10-04-2005, 07:40 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.