PDA

View Full Version : DV capturing stripes?? not interlace

leho
09-28-2005, 11:27 PM
ok guys,i really need some help now. when i capture Dvideo from my cam to pc, some strange striped appear on the captured video. i'll attach an example, maybe you'll know what i speak of. they appear when something or someone is moving.

anyway, i searched google for this problem and i found a solution on doom9 forum.
(http://forum.doom9.org/archive/index.php/t-16789.html) one guy had a same problem and someone suggested that when he's using a VIA chipset motherboard, he should install some George's PCI latency fix. well it worked out for this guy but i don't have a VIA chipset. i have Intel, so this patch won't work :(

it's not any kind of interlace also so i really don't know how to get rid of those. i've tried everything i know but nothing. if someone have the same problem or know how to fix it... i would really appreaciate it :eek:

fwtep
09-29-2005, 02:28 AM
There's nothing wrong with that capture. That's interlace.

Fred

EricMLevy
09-29-2005, 06:21 AM
Deinterlace the footage or render with Lower Fields First.

There are about a million gallons of information about this on the web.

leho
09-29-2005, 09:26 AM
no there isn't because it's not interlace. deinterlacing won't help and non of the fields orded either. it's something else. think about it...when this guy from doom9 forum got his problem fixed with a patch fot VIA chipset, then it's not about how i render it...it's something else

thnx anyway ;)

fwtep
09-29-2005, 06:30 PM
no there isn't because it's not interlace. deinterlacing won't help and non of the fields orded either. it's something else. think about it...when this guy from doom9 forum got his problem fixed with a patch fot VIA chipset, then it's not about how i render it...it's something else

thnx anyway ;)leho, I'm telling you, it's fields. This is how fields look on a non-interlaced monitor. Can you provide a link to a short snippet, say, like one or two seconds of it?

Fred

leho
09-30-2005, 12:06 AM
leho, I'm telling you, it's fields. This is how fields look on a non-interlaced monitor. Can you provide a link to a short snippet, say, like one or two seconds of it?

Fred

i'm telling you. it's not fields. thats what disturbes me the most. i'll give you the link for a part of the footage.(http://www.zone.ee/leho6/test.avi) will you explai "non-interlaced monitor"?!?! every combination between fields and interlace methods i always get the same result

ZaKKoS
09-30-2005, 02:41 AM
computer monitors are progressive so when you watch interlaced sources you see both fields. Have you tried to see the same footage with an external interlaced monitor, like a tv set? Anyway now we'll see the footage! Although it seems just an interlaced problem to me...

fwtep
09-30-2005, 06:23 AM
Sorry to be a pain, but can you post the clip in DV format since that's what the original is in? The Xvid codec isn't really for editing and my editor can't load it. Plus, who knows what Xvid does to fields.

And looking at the video it still looks like fields. If it was a capture problem you'd see it on the whole frame, not just where there's motion.

Fred

leho
09-30-2005, 08:54 AM
ok i'll try to give it in DV format (www.zone.ee/leho6/test2.avi). and yeah, it's not a capture problem because when i capture the same footage with my friends pc, i get no stripes :shrug: so it has to be some kind of a hardware problem.

fwtep
09-30-2005, 05:52 PM
Looks to me like it's fields but when the shot was composited that wasn't taken into account and it was rendered progressive but with no interpolation or blending of the fields; no deinterlacing. It has the exact look of frozen or flattened fields-- something that used to be different fields but is now progressive but with what *used to be fields* visible. Playing this on an interlace monitor (a television) won't help, because the fields have been flattened and are now part of the image.

Perhaps looking at the original footage right off the capture would yield more info; it's not ideal to be judging from processed video because there are too many variables. However, I still haven't seen anything that leads me to believe it's anything other than interlace lines as seen on a progressive frame or played on a progressive monitor (i.e. a computer monitor).

Fred

leho
09-30-2005, 10:25 PM
Looks to me like it's fields but when the shot was composited that wasn't taken into account and it was rendered progressive but with no interpolation or blending of the fields; no deinterlacing. It has the exact look of frozen or flattened fields-- something that used to be different fields but is now progressive but with what *used to be fields* visible. Playing this on an interlace monitor (a television) won't help, because the fields have been flattened and are now part of the image.

Perhaps looking at the original footage right off the capture would yield more info; it's not ideal to be judging from processed video because there are too many variables. However, I still haven't seen anything that leads me to believe it's anything other than interlace lines as seen on a progressive frame or played on a progressive monitor (i.e. a computer monitor).

Fred

well original footage was lower field. and i re-rendered it with progressive. that was right. but when i set progressive to lower and deinterlace to blend fields i still got the same result. when i look at the footage right after capturing, it already has these stripes. but when i connect camera to tv for example. i get no stripes... :shrug:

fwtep
09-30-2005, 10:39 PM
when i look at the footage right after capturing, it already has these stripes. but when i connect camera to tv for example. i get no stripes... :shrug:Right. Like we've been saying all along, those are interlace lines. They'll show up on non-interlace screens but interlace screens will show them properly. (Except now that they're screwed up in the composite.)

Fred

leho
09-30-2005, 10:50 PM
ok so when i keep the lower field and deinterlace blend fields. then render my composite. will it show ok on tv then? i must try

thnx. i'll keep in touch :D

and now i remembered the fact that when i went with the same camera and captured the same footage on my friends pc. burned it on the cd and came home with it. it didn't have those stripes. this doesn't explain the situation. i canšt really choose any settings when i start to capture... so there's something wrong with my computer and thats what this is all about :D
i think

jbo
10-01-2005, 03:20 AM
dude, there's nothing wrong with your computer, it's f*cking interlace. you or your friend must have deinterlaced it, and that's why it looks deinterlaced on the cd. leho is most likely correct about the "frozen fields". you should sort all this stuff out before you start editing. why not post another clip directly from the camera capture?

CGTalk Moderation
10-01-2005, 03:21 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.