PDA

View Full Version : The Experiment

kaisasose
09-28-2005, 11:22 PM
Hi Everyone,

I want to do some Normal mapping stuff with Zbrush and Maya, good experience for the way the industry is going now. I thought I'd start with a Zombie experimented on for some horrific results! I only just started modellling the head today so sitll got to do some assymetry and the like but the body is almost done... still going to add a few more details and the like but you get the general idea.

At the moment hes just under 5k but I'm looking around the 6 to 7k limit when all the details are done.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v706/kaisasose/ExperimentWire.jpg

C&C Anyone? :)

ArchangelTalon
09-29-2005, 01:21 AM
Hey man, looking like a decent start.

I'm not too sure about the shape of the face, the nose seems rather small, with the large mouth and really large chin showing it up even more. It should (if I recall, anatomy is not a strong point) end somewhere on the level with the bottom of the ears. I know he's been experimented on, but the small nose makes him look more as if he's trying to be cute rather than scary :P Maybe a kind of reptile nose, where it's almost just two slits in the face would work...

His elbows seem a bit thin, too. They should be generally kinda flat-ish, and this guy seems to have extremely narrow elbows at the back, as well as quite a thin wrist for arms that size.

The armpits look somewhat off, but I can't really offer much constructive crits there as I often have trouble with them myself.

I also think his legs are slightly too short.

Anyway, good model, I'm just nitpicking :) Can't wait to see him zbrushed up!

DeadBoy
09-29-2005, 01:36 AM
I agree with the comments above about the proportions- his legs DO look a little short, and the face can use more shape. You can also lose a bunch of those polys in the legs because you are gonna be zbrushing the wrinkles into him!

Love the concept, and a zombie is an ideal prospect for zbrushing. Im getting into it myself, just started a troll using alpha brushes- can't recommend them enough:

http://forums.cgsociety.org/showthread.php?t=280169

Good luck, and keep it up!:thumbsup:

johnwoo
09-29-2005, 09:44 AM
Nice work so far kaisa!!...I like the design choices especially...1 suggestion maybe would be to look at the flow of the muscle structure for the biceps, and on the "normal" arm scale up the forearm elbow so it's not so abrupt in regards to scale difference. How is the experimented arm gonna work/deform btw?...also maybe some chain links on the collar would be a good addition if not already planned?...but so far looking real promising...:thumbsup:

kaisasose
09-29-2005, 04:20 PM
Cheers for the input guys.

Arch: About the face, I kinda like the small/squished up nose its a design choice and with the inclusion of teeth and colour he wont be looking cute! I've actually looked into the elbow wrist situation and I've made some tweaks which I'll post up when I next update. The Legs were modelled to a ref pic but I think I might have over compensated and made his crotch too low!! I'll make a few adjustments. :thumbsup:

DB: Cheers dude. I think I covered your comments above but like I said in the first post, the face aint finished yet. It'll be all good mate. EDIT: Oh yeah the cuts... I'm leaving them cos I want more of a silhouette to compliment the normal map. :)

JW: Cheers mate. Yeah I'm still looking at that bicep. Damn thing keeps winking at me! :scream: I have scaled up the elbows now so they look more normal. The deformed arm is supposed to be tentacle-like with the pincers opening to reveal a poisoned fang/sucker. Slurp.

I had planned to put some chains on him so in the final render he's straining to get away. Now I've gotta quad this bad boy up so he doesnt go mad when I take him into ZB. :)

johnwoo
09-29-2005, 04:43 PM
Sounds like juicey stuff planned matey...gonna be keeping an eye open for updates...:thumbsup:..Oh yeah...minimal triangles or none at all will be the best idea tbh....also this is the playmate for the hideous eh?....your creature would run rings round the hideous I reckon...HAHA...but if it ever got hold of your creature....:twisted: :D ...all the same good start and looking forward to more updates....

WHW
09-29-2005, 05:44 PM
Cool. Like the freaky tentacle - I can see you're gonna have a lot of fun when you've rigged that bad boy! :D

Regarding the spikes on the back, could you have a go at making them more pronounced? I'm just curious if making that more obvious might give them purpose, seeing as you're going for grotesque... Also, I'm just picturing this in my head really, what about ripped trousers?

Looking forward to the next update.

the_what
09-30-2005, 08:48 PM
Quite a varied body of work you're going for. First cute and cuddly and now evil and grotesque! I like what I see so far, look forward to updates. :)

kaisasose
11-22-2005, 03:19 PM
Hi everyone! I put this Little guy on hold cos of my hectic interview schedule. Its paid off and I'm moving back down south to start a new job on Monday. Yay! Anyhoo thanks for all the suggestions and comments on the model, the legs are a little longer, I've built him a little enclosure and added some chains. I'll post some more pics up when I settle in to a new flat and have done some more work on him. :)

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v706/kaisasose/infected1.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v706/kaisasose/infected2.jpg

CGTalk Moderation
11-22-2005, 03:19 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.