PDA

View Full Version : saving layers as files

stoecklem
09-28-2005, 04:14 PM
Hello

I was wondering if there is a script out there or a simple way to save out each layer to a seperate file with the layer name as the file name. I actually want to do this in Illustrator but I guess it would be similar to Photoshop. I'm not a programmer and this doesn't seem possible with actions. Does anyone have any advice?

thanks

Ahmattu
09-28-2005, 04:56 PM
Do you want to preserve the files as Vector, or no problem if they get rasterized??

- Ahmad

MeijinKeiri
09-28-2005, 05:02 PM
Right click on the layer, click "Duplicate Layer", and there's a box that asks you where to copy it to. Select "New" from the drop-down list and it will open the layer as a new file. Then just go to File->Save As and save it.

That is for Photoshop CS and CS2, I wouldn't know if it's different on other versions as I have not used them.

stoecklem
09-28-2005, 05:17 PM
That would be helpful too, but I would like to be able to save them as a vector Illustrator file. I am trying to get a good workflow with Maya 7's new support for Illustrator files.

thanks

Ahmattu
09-28-2005, 06:00 PM
ok,

first of all u have to have Illustrator CS2, + Macromedia Flash

- in Illustrator: every shape should be on Master Layer (not object layer).
- then go to file>export, export as SWF for flash, and in the export dialog box, choose (all Layers to swf frames).
- then Import the exported swf file into Flash, then choose file export Movie, and choose Adobe Illustrator Sequence.

then welllllla, u'll get u'r Illustrator files, and enjoy them in MAYA..

this is the way that I can think of for now,

hope this helps

- Ahmad

stoecklem
09-28-2005, 07:48 PM
Thanks a lot

Did a quick test and it works well.

CGTalk Moderation
09-28-2005, 07:48 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.