PDA

View Full Version : Selection and customization questions

ldeej
09-28-2005, 06:45 AM
Hi,

I have been using XSI 4 and 5 for sub-d modelling (trying to learn at least), and I was wondering if somebody could help me with the following questions:

1. Is there a way to customize to get a special context menu on right clicks? I would like to have different menus displayed if I right click and I am choosing an edge, a poly, or something else?

2. Is there a tool for selecting a polygon loop? i.e. Have a tool that after selecting two polygons it selects the whole polygon loop if possible?

3. Is there a tool for splitting an edge loop into two edge loops? This would be kind of equivalent to dicing a polygon loop, but working from the edge's perspective.

Thank you

tuna
09-28-2005, 06:57 AM
Hi,

I have been using XSI 4 and 5 for sub-d modelling (trying to learn at least), and I was wondering if somebody could help me with the following questions:

1. Is there a way to customize to get a special context menu on right clicks? I would like to have different menus displayed if I right click and I am choosing an edge, a poly, or something else?

2. Is there a tool for selecting a polygon loop? i.e. Have a tool that after selecting two polygons it selects the whole polygon loop if possible?

3. Is there a tool for splitting an edge loop into two edge loops? This would be kind of equivalent to dicing a polygon loop, but working from the edge's perspective.

Thank you

1. Dunno, I hope someone know how to, because that would be cool.

2. alt+mmb will select edgeloops, just click 2 in a row. alt+lmb will select a range.

3. the "]" key will bring up the split edge tool. Use mmb to do what you want it to.

SheepFactory
09-28-2005, 07:25 AM
you already get special context menus when you rightclick on a vertex\edge\face that displays all the tools you can use on the selection.

ThE_JacO
09-28-2005, 07:44 AM

when right clicking you already have a context sensitive menu, but if you use extended selection it's alt+Rclick, not just right click.
that menu can also be expanded with self installing plugins that are filter sensitive, and if all you want is to add one of the standard XSI tools to that menu, all you need is to simply run a command in the exec body of the self installing plugin.

hold down alt and middle click on two polys, and it will select a loop of polys, or hold down alt and left click on two non connected polys, and it will select the most logical interval to connect them.

Thank you

select the loop and use a bevel. Bevel in XSI is entirely context sensitive, and it will react logically and differently to polys, edges or points selections.
you can also use ctrl+D (duplicate selection) to surround that loop with another two, [ and ] for different slicing tools (check the LMB, MMB and RMB uses for these in the bottom bar when you have them active).

ldeej
09-28-2005, 05:33 PM
Thanks a lot everybody,

I will give this a shot tonight.

ldeej
09-29-2005, 05:20 AM
Ok, so I tried this. It works as advertised.

Alt+lmb on an edge performs an edge loop selection
Alt+mmb on two polys performs a poly loop selection

BUT, it does not work correctly on XSI 5 with the QWERTY + Alt navigation tools
Bug, Bug, Bug, Bug, Bug :-(

ThE_JacO
09-29-2005, 06:02 AM
not, it's NOT a bug bug bug, and this tendancy to not finding something in a minute and then immediately screaming "BUUUUUG!", and waiting for somebody else to spoonfeed an answer to you, is annoying and unwelcome.
it's infact already been answered to in other threads.

in the QWERY map alt is mapped to a different tool (camera navigation), as that is the way mapping is setup in maya, simply check your keyboard mapping for the different shorcuts or try logical alternatives like ctrl+alt.

ldeej
09-29-2005, 06:20 PM
Thanks Jaco,

I should provided some more information, I did try using ctrl+alt, and selection is busted for QWERTY with Alt navigation.

When I use ctrl+alt and mmb click on an edge it does not select the edge loop for me, same for poly loops. It actually brings some other tool that affects the persepctive view. Not sure what it is since I am just learning.

It works fine without Alt navigation. Other features I tried (like context menus) with ctrl+alt worked fine.

So it is a bug, you can try to verify it. Please let me know if there is anything else I am missing.

Felipe
09-29-2005, 07:41 PM
Try "D" + MMB for loop selection when using qwerty setup.

thorn3d
09-29-2005, 08:09 PM
-sigh-

It's not a bug.

Read carefully.

WHEN USING ALT FOR CAMERA MANIPULATION, THE PURPOSE AND USE OF THE ALT KEY COMPLETELY CHANGES.

Think about it, people.

OBVIOUSLY, if the ALT KEY + MMB does a CAMERA MOVE when in "maya mode", it cant POSSIBLY also select an edge loop.

Sorry for the yelling/caps, but obviously the lack of yelling/caps in the 12,548 other threads on this hasn't gotten the point across to some people... so perhaps a different font style will hit the point home.

thorn

ldeej
09-29-2005, 10:41 PM
Thanks Felipe, I will give your suggestion a try tonight.

Thanks for responding thorn3d, but maybe you should be the one reading more carefully. I understand that with Alt Navigation the behavior of the alt key changes. But based on what I read on the documentation and the preferences dialog box, the old behavior should be achievable by using ctrl+alt on the new mapping. Most tools that worked with Alt on the XSI keyboard mapping work fine for me using Ctrl+Alt on the QWERT mapping, except loop selection. You should try it and let me know if I am doing something wrong. After playing with different settings for ~1 hour with this last night I could not get it to work as advertised.

BTW - It sucks that the experienced crowd is kind of hostile in this forum to newbies, and that instead of helping, focus more on screaming and bringing down everybody else. If I did not need help then I would not have comed here.

Since I have received different responses for what I am trying to achieve I assume that it means that what I want to do, as trivial as it might be, is not completely intuitive and/or discoverable.

ThE_JacO
09-30-2005, 12:53 AM
people are not hostile to newbies, people are hostile to people who scream bug every time they can't figure out something themselves.
also most of the experienced users don't use the QWERTY map, on account of being experienced users and not people who migrated from maya recently, which is why probably you haven't got people jumping at answering the question.

as for the alt navigation mode, I just opened 5 with QWERTY mapping, tryied the first suggestion from another thread (to use D) and it worked.
so it can't be that conterintuitive if it took me roughly 5 seconds with a mapping I haven't ever used, and it WAS stated in another thread as well.

so it's NOT a bug and I HAVE verified that, you DID NOT use the search engine, nor tryied all that you could (checking the keyboard mapping wouldn't have taken that long would it?).
I'm not being hostile, just trying to help you figure out, in case you were puzzled, why things didn't go the way you expected.
thank you and enjoy loops.

ldeej
09-30-2005, 01:42 AM
Thanks Jaco, I will try that, but...

You are just proving my point that there is hostility, your post is again another attack at what you find intuitive as an experienced user, and that I do not. Note that you were not the only one that responded with hostility, there was another experienced user that was not very happy with my questions and remarks for the behavior I am seeing.

I was basing my assumptions on both the XSI documentation, and the text on the preferences dialog.

I do not have the exact wording, but I remember that both say that under the QWERT mapping, instead of using Alt+command, Ctrl+Alt+command should be used to get the same behavior. This works perfectly for everything I tried, except loop selection.

So there is a BUG, and the BUG is either on the feature or the documentation. If the BUG is on the feature then it should have been implemented using ctrl+alt like everything else. If the BUG is in the documentation, then it should have been specified that under QWERT loop selection works differently for some magic reason. Either way it is a BUG.

It took you 5 seconds to try it AFTER you found the information. I believe anybody would have gotten it to work after 5 seconds knowing what they were suppossed to do (regardless if they used the mapping before or not), so your logic that the feature is intuitive is flawed IMHO. Since I did not have that information I spent ~1hour looking through the XSI 5 documentation. I used resources, I used the best two resources I found. The first was the XSI 5 Guide which was not very helpful. And then I tried asking here and reporting the behavior I was seeing. People gave me answers, but after trying the suggestions I could not get things to work under the mapping.

Since this is not very productive I will shut up now, but think about it, and you might understand my point of view.

And... I really appreciate the help even though I am ranting.

ThE_JacO
09-30-2005, 02:01 AM
as I said I see your point, and would have been more then happy to help without meeting the subject with hostility at any given time (which is what I do 99% of the times unless a thread needs flame dousing, and some 70% of my postcount is helping people in here).

also please re-read my post, I didn't say some posts weren't met with hostility, infact I confirmed it, all I said is that the hostility spawned off a boy cryied wolf situation.

finding the information was a 1 minute task using the search engine, and a 1 minute task checking the keyboard mapping, and then testing it myself took roughly 20 seconds.

as for what tool does what, the docs are correct, but the situation and the workflow in the app are entirely context sensitive, so they can't cover every possible combination of tools.

last but not least a BUG is a defect in the code that leads to inconsistant (and we talk inconsistancy at both application and tools granularity levels) and unexpected behaviours.
changing a mapping is consistant, expected and needed (how could XSI know how you would like to use ALT for different things at what time?), no acception of the word bug, not even trying to make an effort, applies to the situation, nor it applies to the documentation, that not being a flow controlled program simply cannot have something called a "bug"

what you have is at best a personal disagreement with a feature's implementation, and you're considering totally out of scope, as the QWERTY mode is a maya interaction emulation mode, and what it's doing is, infact, emulating the way maya deals with things, even if sometimes it's stupid.

I'll drop it as well now, I considered your point, now please breath deeply and read mine again (carefully this time, so you don't misinterpret again ;) )

ldeej
09-30-2005, 02:21 AM
Understood, it dies here.
Thanks a lot for the help.

thorn3d
09-30-2005, 06:25 AM
I could have made my point with less hostility... and for that, I sincerely apologize.

thorn

CGTalk Moderation
09-30-2005, 06:25 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.