PDA

View Full Version : Crashing Issues

seema
09-28-2005, 05:50 AM
I m rigging a creature with a Big bulging/saging tummy...So when I rotate the back bone the skin crashes into the stomach...How to I get it working right? i tried using lattice it somehow dosent look right...has anyone done such a rig before..wud b of great help if u cud share....i m making my riggin demo reel so have to do a good job!!

Pls someone help me :-(

ashishdantu
09-28-2005, 06:47 AM
hi seema,

"rigging a creature with a Big bulging/saging tummy" ---

well, i think there can be two things to handle it. one is , u have say 2/3 bones in this spine (lower back) area and then u can smooth skin paint it so that when the back controler is rotated, these pull the edge loops towards each other nicely. but i guess that'll be lot of patience to paint them right. may be > select an edge, ctrl+right click > select contiguous edges and then grow selection to another row and then convert to vertices mode and then in the paint skin tool, replace with value of 1 and then hit smooth 3 times. this way u can quickly paint them to smooth overlap the edge loops of the tummy.

the second one, if u see the spine bones, moving towards each other and if u want the volume to be maintained, u can try placing a nurbs sphere inside the tummy, use this as an influence object and then SDK its scales to match volume changes, to the back bone rotations. Later u can apply jiggle or any secondary animation methods to get a FAT simulation.

pls post ur progress.....hope it helps..

seema
09-28-2005, 08:40 AM
hey thanks....i m gonna try it out n get back to u when m done....

thanks a lot for ur input....

ashishdantu
09-28-2005, 09:52 AM
hi seema,

well, on re-thinking about the skin weights, painting thing, i guess u should also go through this, since u r working on ur DEMO, this might help >> Rigging Wiki (http://www.tokeru.com/twiki/bin/view/Main/MayaRigging)

and grab this tools > PeterShipkov 's ArtPaint Tools (http://petershipkov.com/development/artpainttools/artpainttools.htm)

pls post ur work samples... and ur learnings,..
cheers,

darkjedi1929
09-28-2005, 11:57 AM
hmm....I dare say you could also try to give some extra bonesin the bulging area, and the area where the skin is crashing. To get the fatty effect, you could try using hair dynamics as spline IK (if you have hair dynamics) or you could use spline IK anyway, instead make the curve a softbody.....hope this helps

CGTalk Moderation
09-28-2005, 11:57 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.