PDA

View Full Version : How to render in Wireframe in Maya

silversilk
09-28-2005, 12:24 AM
Or better yet, is there a way to make a "wireframe shader" in Maya?

All I need is to show a wire of the model in high ress among with the shaded version.

Thx a lot

scottiedoo
09-28-2005, 03:43 AM
There are a two ways that I know of but so I'll leave it up to you

1. Render using the Hardware Render Buffer. From here you can render out a wireframe however the lines are not anti-aliased and sometimes can be a little bit of a pain to control, like if you want to show the backfaces and such. Read the maya docs about how to use it, should help you out.

2. Personally I like this better, and I think this is what you are looking for.. there is a plugin for maya called PolyData at http://products.provide3d.com/polyData/ .. there is also a NurbsData one if you are using nurbs. Anyway, this give you the ability to attach a "wireframe" shader like you wanted with lots of control over line thickness, wirecolor, vertex color and more.. its a great plugin, too bad it isn't free, however you can download a 7 day free trial to use so install it when you need it and then render. (tip: if you need it after the 7 day trial, just delete the plugin folder and reinstall it, it will reset the trial, hahah)

So its up to you, but I suggest the plugin because it is really great and its anti-aliased so everything is nice to smooth and clean.

Good luck!
-Scott

itsallgoode9
10-02-2005, 05:24 PM
do an "automatic UV layout" for your object and take a snapshot of that...then create a lamber shader, or whatever with that as your color texture then render...viola, wireframe on shaded texture with the ability to use all of the ligting and renderingtools you want.....if you do it just like that, the wireframe will be a white wire on black background. if you want black wire on white background, either invert that UV snapshot in photoshop or use a reverse node i maya. if you want only the wireframe which is see through, set that original white on black wireframe to your transparency channel. hope that helps some

you can also keep using that grid shader to create reflective or specular or whatever you want to add or not add to your wireframe

vand
10-02-2005, 07:44 PM
how to render objects in shaded+wireframe
-as seen in most modellors reels

itsallgoode9
10-02-2005, 08:34 PM
how to render objects in shaded+wireframe
-as seen in most modellors reels

???? that's what I described how to do...unless i'm misunderstanding what you're wanting:shrug:

Daggermoon
10-03-2005, 03:22 AM
Brilliant idea itsallgoode9, i am gonna try it out.

silversilk
10-03-2005, 01:18 PM
WOW, indeed, brilliant idea.

I was just trying to figure how to work with that plug-in menioned above. It seems it gets the job done but I found it a little bit hard to understand.

Now IŽll try that snapshot option. ;-)

Just one question: does it work only for the camera you took the snapshot, meaning that, for each camera I have to take its respective snapshot and tham make a new material?

Thx a lot to all of you, really gave me wonderfull ideais here.

itsallgoode9
10-03-2005, 01:51 PM
WOW, indeed, brilliant idea.

I was just trying to figure how to work with that plug-in menioned above. It seems it gets the job done but I found it a little bit hard to understand.

Now IŽll try that snapshot option. ;-)

Just one question: does it work only for the camera you took the snapshot, meaning that, for each camera I have to take its respective snapshot and tham make a new material?

Thx a lot to all of you, really gave me wonderfull ideais here.

it works for all cameras...just to clarify though, i'm talking about using the "uvsnapshopt" option in the UV editor window and not a snapshot as in "printscreen"...Uvsnapshot is camera independent.

CGTalk Moderation
10-03-2005, 01:51 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.