PDA

View Full Version : Animation Challenge Rigging & Bora Dayioglu's tutorial

stzaske
11-10-2002, 10:58 AM
ARGH!

I've spent the last 6 or so hours trying to build a RIG from scratch, since the rules of the challenge require it. I am trying to learn a simple way to rig a leg and tried the Maya tutorial at:

http://www.highend3d.com/maya/tutorials/bora

You can download the skeleton, but I was afraid that would be against the challenge rules, so I stepped through the tutorial and built my own skeleton. I cannot figure out HOW to parent my various character parts to each joint.

This finished skeleton has three different leg types: A control leg, a reverse leg, and a "visible/final" leg. The final leg is point constrained to the reverse leg.

If I try to parent my character parts to the visible/final leg it does not rotate with the bones. Parenting to the control leg (marked as x_???) will work ok, but then my character does not follow the written expressions. Meaning my characters feet will drop the the ground plane.

Has anyone tried using Bora Dayioglu's tutorial? Which set of bones do you skin to (or in my case parent to)? I've tried both my own built version and the downloaded version. And although it seems to have some nice features, from where I'm coming from it appears to be UN-USABLE.

Thanks for your help.

-=STZ=-

stzaske
11-10-2002, 11:13 AM
WOW...as I was trying to find a solution to this problem, I found an old message I posted on Highend3d...almost the EXACT same post as I just posted here.

Check it out:

My old message (http://www.highend3d.com/boards/showthreaded.php?Cat=1,2&Board=mayaanimation&Number=93559&Search=true&Forum=All_Forums&Words=Bora%20Dayioglu&Match=Entire%20Phrase&Searchpage=0&Limit=25&Old=allposts&Main=93559)

Seems I ran into the same problem way back in Feburary of this year. Wish I would have remember it, instead of wasting another day trying to learn RIGGING.

It would be funny if I didn't just waste a whole day...AGAIN.
Well lets hope its a LEARNING lesson.

Can anyone link me to tutorials (WORKING tutorials) on rigging in Maya? Hopefully rig's you can verify work.

Now, I'm off to bed...it's been a WAY long day.

-=STZ=-

lluisllobera
11-10-2002, 03:25 PM
Hi!

I haven't made this tutorial, but whenever you are rigging, the general idea is to parent (or skin) your geommetry to the main - real - driven skeleton, and then to control this skeleton with whatever -- be it an inverse chain, some locators to constrain it, or whatever. So I'd say you have to parent the geommetry under the main skeleton, the first one you create.

However, after a quick look to the tutorial, I can see why some things may not work... There's something that looks weird...

I'd say that the real problem is trying to "limitate" the skeleton's reach. Whwnever you are rigging, you should keep OUT as many limitations as you can, and let the animator decide whether he wants to make the feet (in your case) go through the ground or not!!

So... I'm going to read the tutorial more slowly and try to figure out what he's doing. If you can't get over the problem, come back to me!! :-)

stzaske
11-10-2002, 06:45 PM
It's just weird that the final, visible skeleton does seem to work...at least visually it is stepping correctly, and the bones and joints work with teh expressions correctly, and do NOT break the ground plane. But if you try to SKIN or parent geometry to them it does not. I assume it is because the joints are only point contrained to the control leg. If you parent geometry to the joints, your geometry WILL be point constrained, it just wont rotate, or follow the IK setup.

I'm sure I can get it to work somehow, perhaps if I aim constrain each of my character pieces, but that would require me to aim each pivot, and the challenge just isn't worth the effort, I'm afraid. I'm just gonna try to find a RIG tutorial that DOES work, and hope it doesn't break the animation challenge rules to use a RIG from a tutorial.

bentllama
11-11-2002, 03:51 AM
stzaske:

why you are using three legs is beyond me. animate with the simplest of skeletons, your animation creation will be more efficient that way and it will not give you headaches like the one your are experiencing.

stzaske
11-11-2002, 05:47 AM
Originally posted by bentllama
why you are using three legs is beyond me.

This was the first tutorial I found, and the tutorial itself was well documented. Perhaps it was too complex, but it's not like there are a lot of other rigging tutorials out there. Anyway, it seemed like it would be nice to have a reverse leg setup.

I have found another setup, and it's working well. At this point just treat this thread as a warning to steer clear of the Bora Dayioglu tutorial at highend3d.com. It does not work.

-=STZ=-

CGTalk Moderation
01-13-2006, 09:00 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.