PDA

View Full Version : my very first shot at character creation

jnofs
09-27-2005, 05:03 PM
hello all,
this is my first real character model that i have actually spent time on (about 25-30 hrs.)

i still need to texture and rig him and i am sure things will be tweaked as i do that.

this is my first post. i am new to the site and new to the 3D world. I am a student at the college for creative studies in detroit, MI and i am finally done with my "foundation" courses.
now i finally get to take 3d classes instead of all the history and psyc. classes, heh.

anyways, sorry for rambling. i just wanted to clarify that i am a "noobie" still but i wanted some extra crits.

thanks in advance.

http://i22.photobucket.com/albums/b342/jnofs/beauty_shot_1.jpg

DeadBoy
09-27-2005, 06:54 PM
Are those individually modelled hairs on his back? Yikes!!:eek:

Try pulling that off with texture; paint some hairs with alpha on a small plane and attach that to the body- this oughta lower your poly count considerably, and make rigging 100000 times easier.

Good luck...

DeadBoy

ZBrushed Troll
http://forums.cgsociety.org/showthread.php?t=280169

Wayne Adams
09-27-2005, 07:55 PM
geezus...thats insane...i have to give kudos for modeling out those hairs tho...is he splinter's cousin?
;)

jnofs
09-27-2005, 09:46 PM
actually i just made a cone and tweaked it a bit and then duped them in patches.

i didnt actually combine them to the body, they are just a layer.

as i said, i am new to all of this so i dont have any experience texture mapping yet.

as far as poly count. i will have to get a poly count on this guy, i am at work now so i cant but i do know it is fairly low.

in fact i gotta run right now, i will get back with you all, thanks for feedback though.

DeadBoy
09-27-2005, 10:07 PM
The question isnt how easy it was to model the hairs- yes, they are duped cones. However no matter how low poly your character is right now, the hairs would (on a game model) be viewed as "unnecesary geometry".

Cool concept though...keep it up!

jnofs
09-28-2005, 03:52 PM
I really appreciate the feedback. as i have said, I am very new to all of this. What you said about texturing in alpha on a small poly plane is kind of beyond me at this point. I have very little texture experience. The only things i have textured have just been projected onto a flat surface.

I do realize that making each individual quill on his back is'nt the most efficient way of approaching it, especially because of it being a low poly game model. However, I don't know of other ways to accomplish it so that is why i did it like that and just put them on a seperate layer without combining them to the actual body.

I just wanted to do it like that for concept purposes. This is, afterall a WIP and I posted here and planned on asking my teacher other ways to pull it off next time i see him (the class is only once a week).

The quills on his back are COMPLETELY neccessary though, if i take them off he looks like a Hampster Warrior rather than a Porcupine Warrior, hehe.

thanks again for the feedback.

Panupat
09-28-2005, 10:45 PM
you'll never have experience if you refuse to start :) Give it a try.

This might be a great example for you. See how this guy did his furs. It's a basic plane extrude out from the model.

http://forums.cgsociety.org/showthread.php?t=262724&highlight=rat

CGTalk Moderation
09-28-2005, 10:45 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.