PDA

View Full Version : Poly model driving a Subdivision surface

ruukki
09-27-2005, 04:41 PM
Hello, all of this is probably completely old stuff to those who can give the answer - but please do if you can, nevertheless: When driving a Subdivision model with a Polygon model, is it all just clear like this:

- model the poly thing
- duplicate it, turn the duplicate into a Subdivision surface
- rig and animate the poly model
- make the wrap and presto, it works?

I got the impression from the book Maya Character Creation that it requires nothing else, but are there any traps? The book sort of left it hanging midair, although clearly the intention had been to handle it a bit more.

Thanks a lot in advance!

Matt Leishman
09-27-2005, 10:35 PM
In a perfect world, such would definitely be the case. I have heard of many who have had awful issues trying to get the wrap deformer to perform as you have described in your post. I personally have had no such issues ... I typically get that expected result when using the Wrap. My only beef is that it causes your scene to slow down significantly. Sometimes its no different than slow molasses ... just as a warning. good luck.

ruukki
09-30-2005, 04:55 PM
Thanks a lot for the reply - the slowdown will not be a problem if I'll animate first, I suppose. At the render stage it doesn't matter anyway, I suppose. Good to know there are no tricks - even if there may be issues.

JohnPark
09-30-2005, 05:15 PM
If you are looking to avoid using the wrap deformer because of speed issues, you can convert the skinned low-poly object to subD. In the Convert to Subdiv Options box you'll check Keep Original and Proxy Object. What you'll end up with is a pair of shape nodes (one poly, one subD) under the original transform. All of your skin weights and deformations will be passed along from the poly to the subD.
-JP

CGTalk Moderation
09-30-2005, 05:15 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.