PDA

View Full Version : CG Talk: mel scripting for beginners.. to do or not?

Droolz
09-27-2005, 11:16 AM
Hi,

I've been tentatively looking at learning mel for some time. I've got a lot of experience of using maya and 3d in general, but little knowledge of mel. I've been programming flash for about 6 years, and have a solid understanding of the concepts of programming and their implementation, my maths is allright...Would people recommend the course (here (http://www.cgworkshops.com/courses/000009/))? My main worry is that it will possibly be too basic, just looking for recomendations....

All best,

Jules

twidup
09-28-2005, 06:54 AM
hey Droolz,

what kind of stuff are you wanting covered?

I am still writing up the classes, and am open to ideas from potential students.
The reason its a beginners course, is just for name sake.

The first couple weeks will be the beginners side of things, advancing to handling GUIs and scriptjobs, and ending in doing system interaction scripts, like running some command line based programs from inside maya to manipulate data, storing data outside of maya in custom files, hell, I might even cover writing an AMC/ASF import/exporter in the end as well...and all of this stuff is things you/students will write as well.

But be prepared, like I said the first couple weeks will be beginners type stuff, so it might seem a bit boring to you. But I am going to cover some very production related topics and pitfalls.

-todd

Droolz
09-28-2005, 09:10 AM
Hi Todd,

Thanks for getting back to me - I guess specifically what I'd be looking at is less progamming concept, and more an overview of how to 'slide' into MEL - ie. specific syntax usage [procedures (functions in flash ;)), variablestypes and how they are declared / used, how for / with loops are constructed etc], key mel specific concepts etc.

Personally I'd be looking to push the development as much as possible so that the course may start easy, but by the end you've reached skill levels that let you at least feel that you're prepared for anything, and what you're outlining above sounds fairly hardcore, which is good.

My main aim is to kill 'the fear' of mel...

hth, I'm still a bit blurry (it's early).

All the best,

Jules

twidup
09-28-2005, 04:14 PM
thats kinda the plan I am taking, mel is really intimidating at first, and I am hoping to kill that, as well as kill the fear of script jobs. The main goal of the class is to get artists familiar with how to develop mel scripts to enhance their work, and to provide them with some concepts on how to write them efficiently and with some error checking. Once the class is over, most students should have a deep enough grasp to handle most things that come up.
I "hopefully" wont have to go into to too much of programming background and can just jump into the discussing how mel works.

-todd

Droolz
09-28-2005, 05:16 PM
Sounds good - consider me signed up - waiting on a client to provide some hard cash first - will be within the next week or so.

looking forward to it,

Jules

CGTalk Moderation
09-28-2005, 05:16 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.