PDA

View Full Version : Splinegod Tut my attempt

Petrik
11-10-2002, 06:49 AM
Here's my attempt at the spline tutorial from Splinegod.

I got the proportions out. As well there are some major problems with the eyes. Anyhow I gave it a go that's the main thing.

Petrik
11-10-2002, 06:52 AM
And here is the unsmooth version.

Anyone know of any way of posting more than one pic in a message, without having to post each one as a reply?

Kaiser_Sose
11-10-2002, 10:53 AM
I f you want some help or advise I think you will have to post bigger pictures

You can post as pictures as you want as long as you host them

Petrik
11-10-2002, 04:20 PM
Try these

http://homepages.ihug.co.nz/~petrik/help.htm

SplineGod
11-10-2002, 07:58 PM
Hey not bad!
You need to make sure that each time you smooth shift for the eyesockets that you dont let the points between each ring get too close together or youll get those tight folds rather then a nice socket. Take the time to tweak those points to round out that area. The 3 points above the eye could be pulled out a bit (and apart some) to get a brow ridge.
When smooth shifting in the mouth I would also stretch the section together more so you have more of a real lip. Otherwise its pretty good. :)

Petrik
11-12-2002, 05:06 AM
Well I had a go at changing it a bit. Still not really happy but its better then it was. Anyhow I am trying to use splines for another project now where I am also failing miserably as I was when I was box modelling which is what the tutorial was for.
http://www.3dcafe.com/asp/tutorials/lightwave/troll1/troll1.asp

I will get something right eventually.

SplineGod
11-12-2002, 06:18 AM
Just keep at it. The troll tutorial is not an intuitive way to model.
You did pretty well with the dragon head. I spent about 35 minutes and used splines to put this together from those troll pics.
Heres the splinecage.

SplineGod
11-12-2002, 06:25 AM
Ok, heres what it looks like so far after patching it and turning on SubDs. Notice the flow. Thats very easy to get with splines.
Like I said...total modeling time was about 30 minutes.
If you stick with it you WILL figure it out.
If you want to download the the splinecage and Subpatch head you can get it at:
http://www.3dtrainingonline.com/examples/troll_head.zip

Petrik
11-12-2002, 06:50 AM
A big thank you for doing that. I tried to do it as per the tutorial and got in a right royal mess when doing the knife cuts. Kept getting >4 poly's and generally made a right stuff up of it. Trying to fix the >4's gave me a hell of a mess. Then after doing your reptile head tutorial I thought I'd have a go with splines. Well not much luck there either as I really had no idea where to put them.

I wish I had the NZ$1830 plus postage (or even the monthly breakdown of that) for your character modeling course. Maybe this time next year.

I have Dan Ablans book "Inside Lightwave 7" but shelved that for the time being after I got to that character tutorial. Got a couple of other books "The LightWave 6.5/7.0 Project Handbook" and "Lightwave Applied, Version 6.5 & 7" coming in about a month from Amazon.

Would any of the "cheaper" CD's you have be of help to me as a "Lightwave baby"

Meanwhile again a BIG thank you for helping me out.

SplineGod
11-12-2002, 06:56 AM
Theres several kiwis taking my course. Ive been known to let people make reasonable payments or pay as you go. I guarentee one thing...you WILL know how to character model. Email me if youre interested in working something out. :)
Also, if you dont have LW taking my courses makes you eligible for student pricing on LW.

Petrik
11-12-2002, 06:59 AM
Just for a laugh here was my attempt.

Petrik
11-12-2002, 07:04 AM
Well as soon as I get back from overseas in mid January I'll get in touch and see what you can do for me. I won't be able to anything until at least then.

If you could split it over twelve months I could probably manage it. Just a thought.

BTW: I know Kevin Phillips who takes our user group is one and I believe there are two other Kevins doing who also frequent the user group. So I'll be in good company I know that much.

Petrik
11-13-2002, 06:45 AM
Still trying to figure out the order of working for the model above.

Decided to have a crack at another pic I had to try and recover some brain cells. I still really have no idea what I am doing but It sure looks better then my earlier attempt with the previous model.

Larry if you can do the deal I suggested above, I'll start your course tonight. :)

SplineGod
11-13-2002, 07:57 AM
Thats MUCH better. Youre getting closer. I also cover how to model with splines in the course. :)

CGTalk Moderation
01-13-2006, 09:00 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.